Re: virus in VMware guest OS?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:57:02 -0000, wrote:

    >hi, I've got windows to install in VMware Server, and was wondering if
    >i get a virus in the guest operating system, will it affect the host
    >operating system?

    It can, quite easily, if the host isn't properly patched, etc.

    --
    <AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
    fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007

  2. It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:18:43 -0500, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:57:02 -0000, wrote:
    >
    >>hi, I've got windows to install in VMware Server, and was wondering if i
    >>get a virus in the guest operating system, will it affect the host
    >>operating system?

    > It can, quite easily, if the host isn't properly patched, etc.

    Depends on the OS, if it's a GNU/linux distribution it won't. :)

    William Poaster, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:48:24 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:18:43 -0500, that as I was
    >halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:57:02 -0000, wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi, I've got windows to install in VMware Server, and was wondering if i
    >>>get a virus in the guest operating system, will it affect the host
    >>>operating system?

    >> It can, quite easily, if the host isn't properly patched, etc.

    >Depends on the OS, if it's a GNU/linux distribution it won't. :)

    Well, yes, but here in Hicksville I'm pretty much stuck with Redmond's
    vaporware, at least at work.

    Did you hear about Symantec's latest buffoonery?

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007