Re: Virtual XP on XP64 - Printing

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dominic Payer, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en.
    x64 XP is supported for VirtualPC 2007. From the CPU requirements it is
    clear that virtualisation is not required. It is supported if present.

    VirtualPC for Windows 7, a different product, does require hardware
    virtualisation.

    In virtual machines access is only provided to the ports on the host
    machine - USB, serial, parallel, etc, - and any peripherals are driven
    by drivers in the guest OS. If you install 32-bit XP as a guest you will
    need XP drivers for any device you want to use from that machine.

    You can also do what you want with VirtualBox
    http://www.virtualbox.org/. I think you would need the 1.6.6 version
    since your CPU does not have virtualisation.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 13, 2009

  2. Dominic Payer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <9c07b30ee0055@uwe>, oao <u54735@uwe> wrote:
    >>In virtual machines access is only provided to the ports on the host
    >>machine - USB, serial, parallel, etc, - and any peripherals are driven
    >>by drivers in the guest OS. If you install 32-bit XP as a guest you will
    >>need XP drivers for any device you want to use from that machine.

    >Do you mean that I can install the XP32 printer driver in the virtual machine
    >and it will
    >print to the USB port of the XP64 host?
    >
    >My impression is that the VM uses the drivers of the host, not its own
    >drivers.
    >
    >Furthermore, Virtual PC 2007 does bot seem to support USB ports.
    >
    >>You can also do what you want with VirtualBox
    >>http://www.virtualbox.org/. I think you would need the 1.6.6 version
    >>since your CPU does not have virtualisation.

    >The CPU is an Intel Core Duo T5750 -- my guess is that it does not support
    >virtualization.

    Here's the link to Intel's page. Unfortunately I don't see your CPU.

    http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

    Can an XP Virtual machine "attach" to a dedicated USB port so the XP
    print drivers are speaking directly to the printer?

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Sep 13, 2009

  3. See info @ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/features/default.aspx

    To print from Virtual XP you install the XP Pro (32-bit) drivers in the
    virtual machine. It does not use the host drivers.

    It the same for other devices such as scanners from within the VM.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 13, 2009
  4. See http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx. Note
    that you must be using a native Windows printer driver, not a
    manufacturer's driver, for this to work when you cannot install a driver
    on the machine you are using.

    If you want to use a virtual machine for printing on x64 XP, forget
    Microsoft's VirtualPC versions and use either VirtualBox
    http://www.virtualbox.org/ or VMware Player
    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ with VMXBuilder
    http://vmx-builder.software.informer.com/ to prepare your VMware virtual
    machine. These provide access to the USB ports and you just install the
    relevant printer driver in the guest virtual machine.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 13, 2009
  5. Dominic Payer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <9c136e2216b56@uwe>, oao via WindowsKB.com <u54735@uwe> wrote:
    >Thanks.
    >
    >>See http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx. Note
    >>that you must be using a native Windows printer driver, not a
    >>manufacturer's driver, for this to work when you cannot install a driver
    >>on the machine you are using.

    >I read the article but, as I suspected, that is not an option.
    >
    >1. The printer is:new, and there is not included as native driver in either
    >the XP64 or the Vista distribution CD.
    >2. Even if were included, the printer is all-in-one the scanner would not
    >work
    >
    >I need the printer to be on XP64 and to print both from it and a Vista32
    >laptop.
    >
    >>If you want to use a virtual machine for printing on x64 XP, forget
    >>Microsoft's VirtualPC versions and use either VirtualBox

    ISTM that you should be able to, in principle, get the printer running
    in the XP VM and and make a virtual network and share the printer.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Sep 13, 2009
  6. Dominic Payer

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Re: Virtual XP on X64 - Printing

    OAO:
    Not knowing what model scanner/printer you're trying to use makes it
    extremely hard to give accurate answers. I've been using an Epson CX4800
    all-in-one for over three years with XP x64, Vista x64 and Win-7 x64 beta or
    rtm without problems. It was totally different with XP x64 beta because we
    had to wait and hope for drivers because it was cutting edge at the time. I
    haven't built a 32-bit system or laptop for me since XP x64 was released and
    I've found drivers for 99% of the components since XP x64. The best advice
    is to research before purchasing any components or building a system. Have a
    great day.

    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4422 (20090913) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Dennis Pack, Sep 14, 2009
  7. Dominic Payer

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Re: Virtual XP on X64 - Printing

    oao:
    HP drivers have been very hit and miss since x64 came into being, that's
    the reason that I went back to Epson for printers or scanners. A brief look
    at the HP driver listings renewed my thinking that using Epson products was
    the best move 5 years ago. In the same price range of the HP C4780 Epson has
    the WorkForce series 300 to 600 which have XP x64 Vista x64 drivers listed,
    no listing found for Win-7 yet but the Epson CX4800 all-in-one drivers
    installed out of the box when I turned the printer on.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 14, 2009
  8. Dominic Payer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <9c143da963c41@uwe>, oao via WindowsKB.com <u54735@uwe> wrote:
    >I am aware of all that.
    >
    >The problem I have is that all new HP printers coming out don't and won't
    >have XP64 support, so
    >the only way to use a new printer is either via a substitute driver or a VM.
    >I don't want to buy an old printer that works with XP64. I would prefer a
    >driver rather than the VM, it's simpler.

    Printers with ethernet connections are really cheap now.

    VMs should be able to speak to a LAN even if they can't attach to a
    USB port.

    I've set up countless printers as LAN devices using lpp/lprd protocols
    (which run in every version of Windows from W/98-on but MS changes the
    nomenclature in every OS version.)

    I might wind up using this to get a printer working in a VM.
    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Sep 14, 2009
  9. Dominic Payer

    Al Dykes Guest

    Re: Virtual XP on X64 - Printing

    In article <>,
    Dennis Pack <> wrote:
    >oao:
    > HP drivers have been very hit and miss since x64 came into being, that's
    >the reason that I went back to Epson for printers or scanners. A brief look
    >at the HP driver listings renewed my thinking that using Epson products was
    >the best move 5 years ago. In the same price range of the HP C4780 Epson has
    >the WorkForce series 300 to 600 which have XP x64 Vista x64 drivers listed,
    >no listing found for Win-7 yet but the Epson CX4800 all-in-one drivers
    >installed out of the box when I turned the printer on.
    >
    >Dennis Pack

    HP has consistently failed to develop new drivers for low-end and
    consumer gear.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Sep 14, 2009
  10. Dominic Payer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <9c15d5f392569@uwe>, oao via WindowsKB.com <u54735@uwe> wrote:
    >> HP drivers have been very hit and miss since x64 came into being

    >Not hit and miss, they actually discontinued support.
    >
    >> that's
    >>the reason that I went back to Epson for printers or scanners. A brief look
    >>at the HP driver listings renewed my thinking that using Epson products was
    >>the best move 5 years ago. In the same price range of the HP C4780 Epson has
    >>the WorkForce series 300 to 600 which have XP x64 Vista x64 drivers listed,
    >>no listing found for Win-7 yet but the Epson CX4800 all-in-one drivers
    >>installed out of the box when I turned the printer on.

    >actually I went and bought an epson NX and it was awful: poor quality and
    >noisy
    >like an engine. I returned it the next day. There are a few negative reviews
    >of the
    >Epsons
    >
    >HP has the best printers and nobody beats them. I had several generations of
    >them and they were all fine.
    >
    >so it's a dilemma: how to run the better HP new printer on XP64.

    I've been very happy with low-end Brother lasers, all on ethernets.

    When asked to buy or recommend a printer these days, my rule is to
    identify the cheapest Brother printer for which my supplier carries
    the extra-capacity third-party toner cartridges.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Sep 14, 2009