Re: Virtual PC system requirements

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Marlin Munrow, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:07 -0800, Ryan Ruin
    <> wrote:

    >The recommended system requirements for running VPC 6.1 on a Mac include 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?

    9/10 ?

    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Marlin Munrow

    Joe Guest

    Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC side), I
    would however make sure I have tons of memory.

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Marlin Munrow

    matt Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in news::

    > Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC
    > side), I would however make sure I have tons of memory.
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "Marlin Munrow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:07 -0800, Ryan Ruin
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The recommended system requirements for running VPC 6.1 on a Mac
    >> >include

    > 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be
    > affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?
    >> 9/10 ?
    >>

    >> ================================
    >> My Hero:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
    >> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    >> ================================

    Becareful with the Virtual PC. Backup!!! I go to a tech school in
    California and on Friday the 13th all was info was lost. We built a VPC
    for each chapter of MS press books for MCSA\MCSE 2k3. We were running
    brand new 64bit chips with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gig hd on win2k pro.
    Problem...win2kpro has a registry flaw that does not like anything over
    137gigs. Result...hd's crashed and when we tried to recover them using
    about ten different recovery programs they recovered 99 ntfs boot
    records. So back up and run on winxppro. Recovery programs cant
    firgure what is real and what is virtual. Hope this helps.

    matt, Feb 29, 2004
  4. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:52:03 -0600, matt <> wrote:

    >"Joe" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Processor doesn't seem to be the big thing (at least not on the PC
    >> side), I would however make sure I have tons of memory.
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    >> "Marlin Munrow" <> wrote in message

    >> 500MHz. Does anyone know how significantly performance will be
    >> affected if I run VPC with 450MHz, instead?
    >>> 9/10 ?
    >>>

    >>> ================================
    >>> My Hero:
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html
    >>> (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    >>> ================================

    >Becareful with the Virtual PC. Backup!!! I go to a tech school in
    >California and on Friday the 13th all was info was lost. We built a VPC
    >for each chapter of MS press books for MCSA\MCSE 2k3. We were running
    >brand new 64bit chips with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gig hd on win2k pro.
    >Problem...win2kpro has a registry flaw that does not like anything over
    >137gigs. Result...hd's crashed and when we tried to recover them using
    >about ten different recovery programs they recovered 99 ntfs boot
    >records. So back up and run on winxppro. Recovery programs cant
    >firgure what is real and what is virtual. Hope this helps.

    Nice one!
    Thanks, I was just thinking of doing something similar, I guess XP and
    GSX Server or VMWare workstation :eek:)

    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Marlin Munrow

    Luke Guest

    I've run variou Windows operating systems and software on
    VPC on a 400Mhz G3 (upgraded from a stock 150Mhz; the
    bottleneck was a 50Mhz bus speed). It would run descently
    enough to use it. IE would browse ok (even scroll pretty
    well); Windows Media player would skip quite a bit though.
    Launching programs was very slow, however.

    Luke, Mar 2, 2004