Re: Virtual Memory size

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jul 26, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > My system:
    > old Dell Optiplex GX110 500MHz Pent 3 processor, 256MB RAM (will
    > increase soon, but let's not worry about that right now), 127? GB
    > Western Digital Hard Drive (FAT32), usual DVD RW, CD RW, and floppy
    > drives,Windows XP Home SP3, .NET Framework 3.5, IE8, updated
    > drivers, Firewall, software DEP on, DSL connection, mostly older software
    > and freeware.
    > Very few StartUp programs: My Free Weather, Avast Antivirus, Sticky
    > Notepad, Volume controls.
    >
    > I'm not a gamer, I'm not running a server, I like my computer although I do
    > plan to upgrade to the system's maximum 1GHz P3, 512 MB RAM sometime soon
    > when I can allocate funds. I have no plans or desires to replace this system
    > at this time.
    >
    > My problem: Windows is frequently reporting:
    > "Windows Memory Minimum Too Low
    > You system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of
    > your virtual memory paging file."
    >
    > My Memory Usage is as follows:
    > Default greater usage of processor time for Programs.
    > Default greater usage of memory for Programs.
    > Virtual memory Total paging file size for all drives (1 drive):
    > 384 MB
    > Custom size:
    > 384 MB - 764 MB Custom
    >
    > Total Paging File Size for all drives:
    > Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    > Recommended: 381 MB
    > Currently allocated: 384 MB
    > (This is set at the standard 1.5 x RAM)
    >
    > My questions:
    > 1. Should I reset to System Managed Size?
    > (I'm always afraid of giving Windows too much control. Give an
    > inch, and it starts playing Global Thermonuclear War.) By Windows
    > resizing, it's taking control anyways.
    >
    > 2. If I don't, should I manually increase my Initial size (384 MB) to
    > something higher. Would it cause any conflicts or problems?
    >
    > 3. Similarly, should I increase my Maximum size? I've had no Windows
    > bitching about max size.
    >
    > 4. When I do install the upgraded RAM, will Windows automatically
    > increase paging file size?
    >
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > Woof

    Have you used Task Manager, to see what process is using RAM ? It seems
    unusual, if there is nothing of note running on the system, for
    it to be whining like that. There has got to be a memory hog, or
    a memory leak present. Something to account for the behavior.

    There is no point adjusting anything, because whatever is doing it,
    may only become worse as your uptime passes. It is better to analyse
    what is happening, and fix it at the source.

    Sure, you could bump the virtual up to a couple GB, which would
    leave room for memory to leak for some time, but eventually
    it'll be whining again.

    An example of a memory leak on my system, is Wireshark. I can run it
    for a while, and it will hold a record of all packets sent and
    received in memory. If I quit the program, all that memory should
    be returned. Yet, I'll find memory is missing, and seems to be held
    by the system. A reboot straightens it out again.

    If you have a true memory leak, which is accumulating with time,
    there is no reason to believe an increase to 512MB physical RAM,
    will make that much difference. It depends on the leak rate.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 26, 2009

  2. At www.superaffiliate7.com you will find a web site oriented towards Heath
    products - home harware such as Tv, compuer ect...
    other Affiliates are related to join a satellite TV netwark, or download
    commercial Movies.

    Superaffiliate7.com, Aug 19, 2009