Re: Video Ezy's 'sale'

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    > day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    > less than the normal price.

    That may be so for a retail outlet but, for an outfit who usually only hires
    stuff, a 'sale' is just that.

    Not defending them or anything. <\bitch> Actually I hired a VHS movie from
    the local Video Ezy last night and it was un-watchable. The picture was so
    distorted we couldn't even see what was on screen for 80% of it. The problem
    was it was a couple of years old, they only had one copy, it was a movie I'd
    had recommended to me and the first five or ten minutes were fine. We
    persevered and 'watched' it but it left the missus with a headache and I'm
    still a little confused as to what actually happened in it. The VCR is a
    Hi-fi Sony, less than a month old. I can't understand why it was on the
    shelf, surely whoever saw it last complained. I'll be complaining to them
    for sure when I take it back. <bitch/>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:30:49 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    >> day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    >> less than the normal price.

    >That may be so for a retail outlet but, for an outfit who usually only hires
    >stuff, a 'sale' is just that.
    >
    >Not defending them or anything. <\bitch> Actually I hired a VHS movie from
    >the local Video Ezy last night and it was un-watchable. The picture was so
    >distorted we couldn't even see what was on screen for 80% of it. The problem
    >was it was a couple of years old, they only had one copy, it was a movie I'd
    >had recommended to me and the first five or ten minutes were fine. We
    >persevered and 'watched' it but it left the missus with a headache and I'm
    >still a little confused as to what actually happened in it. The VCR is a
    >Hi-fi Sony, less than a month old. I can't understand why it was on the
    >shelf, surely whoever saw it last complained. I'll be complaining to them
    >for sure when I take it back. <bitch/>

    I would too. Apparently many people don't, but they should.

    GraB, Aug 27, 2003

  3. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    >> day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    >> less than the normal price.

    > That may be so for a retail outlet but, for an outfit who usually
    > only hires stuff, a 'sale' is just that.
    >
    > Not defending them or anything. <\bitch> Actually I hired a VHS movie
    > from the local Video Ezy last night and it was un-watchable.

    Complaining about it works well... they give you a couple of free weekly
    rentals, I think.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 27, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > >> Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    > >> day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    > >> less than the normal price.

    > > That may be so for a retail outlet but, for an outfit who usually
    > > only hires stuff, a 'sale' is just that.
    > >
    > > Not defending them or anything. <\bitch> Actually I hired a VHS movie
    > > from the local Video Ezy last night and it was un-watchable.

    > Complaining about it works well... they give you a couple of free weekly
    > rentals, I think.

    I hope so. I'm still bummed out. I think it was a really good movie that I
    nearly saw.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    rock Guest

    Why are you bothering with vhs still, dvdplayers are cheap enough now that
    anybody can afford one. Why would you buy a hi-fi vcr in this day and age,
    if you had no vcr to record the rubbish of tv you could buy a cheap 2 head
    vcr and a cheap dvdplayer for about the same price as a hi-fi vcr and be a
    hell of a lot better of. Seems crazy to me.

    rock, Aug 28, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "rock" <sadjds@sdlkdf> wrote in message news:...
    > Why are you bothering with vhs still, dvdplayers are cheap enough now that
    > anybody can afford one. Why would you buy a hi-fi vcr in this day and age,
    > if you had no vcr to record the rubbish of tv you could buy a cheap 2 head
    > vcr and a cheap dvdplayer for about the same price as a hi-fi vcr and be a
    > hell of a lot better of. Seems crazy to me.

    Several reasons. First, I have a few stereo music videos that I cherish.
    Some I made myself, compilations type, from leaving a VCR taping Juice all
    night and then dubbing tapes with another stereo VCR. I put a shit-load of
    hours into that back in the day and still enjoy the tapes. I have party
    compilations, mood music, all sorts. Plus some pre-recorded concerts etc.

    Secondly, I have a DVD player in the bedroom that I play through a Commodore
    1024 monitor (great little picture) and a stereo for CD/mp3 playback. I
    found myself missing watching the very occaisional TV program in the bedroom
    so needed a tuner. As it's hooked up to a Dolby Pro-logic amp it made sense
    to have a nicam tuner. Seemed like a better option to me than buying a TV
    set, I only have room for a 14" and the pictures on those are crap compared
    with the Commodore. The VCR in the lounge is hard-wired into a people-meter
    at the moment so moving it when I needed it isn't an option.

    Thirdly, I detest advertisments on TV, my life is too short to waste
    watching 15 minutes of ads every hour. I almost never watch TV 'live' and
    there is the very rare occaision when there's something I want to tape at
    the same time I want to watch something. Hence the second hi-fi VCR. I do
    like good sound.

    And, lastly, some of the movies I like to watch haven't been released on
    DVD, or at least I can't find them locally. I'd rather go out and hire 5
    videos for $10 for a week than watch the crap that's usually on TV. I can't
    always afford new releases. As you may have realised, I'm very picky about
    what I watch and *never* put the TV on just for the sake of something to do.

    LOL, asked and answered.
    --
    ~misfit~

    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > Actually I hired a VHS movie from
    > > the local Video Ezy last night and it was un-watchable. The picture was

    so
    > > distorted we couldn't even see what was on screen for 80% of it. The

    > problem
    > > was it was a couple of years old, they only had one copy, it was a movie

    > I'd
    > > had recommended to me and the first five or ten minutes were fine. We
    > > persevered and 'watched' it but it left the missus with a headache and

    I'm
    > > still a little confused as to what actually happened in it. The VCR is a
    > > Hi-fi Sony, less than a month old. I can't understand why it was on the
    > > shelf, surely whoever saw it last complained. I'll be complaining to

    them
    > > for sure when I take it back. <bitch/>
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

> [...]

    do
    > > like good sound.
    > >
    > > And, lastly, some of the movies I like to watch haven't been released on
    > > DVD, or at least I can't find them locally. I'd rather go out and hire 5
    > > videos for $10 for a week than watch the crap that's usually on TV. I

    > can't
    > > always afford new releases. As you may have realised, I'm very picky

    about
    > > what I watch and *never* put the TV on just for the sake of something to

    > do.
    > >
    > > LOL, asked and answered.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > Ok that mostly makes sense to me, it's not like you don't have a dvdplayer
    > too.
    >
    > Had you thought of transferring your tapes to vcd, svcd or dvd, that way

    all
    > your work will be preserved instead of deteriorating everytime you play

    it.
    > If you or some else you know has a firewire card, a digital

    videocamera(does
    > the analog to digital conversion) and a cdr or better still a dvdr and

    some
    > software then you can convert your tapes to digital, that's the way I have
    > done it anyhow but I guess if you can borrow a stand alone dvdrecorder and
    > you don't need to do much editing then this would be easier still. As a

    stop
    > gap if you have a digital 8 camera you can back your tapes up onto the
    > digital tape and even play them back through the camera if you want but at
    > least if they are backed up they won't deteriorate further.

    Yep, I'd like to put my tapes on DVD or even CDR at some stage but lack the
    equipment or access to it at the moment. I do have a Leadtek 'My VIVO'
    graphics card that can capture analogue video and a CD-RW drive but it's
    still quite complicated to do it that way. I'll sit on the tapes and wait a
    while.

    > When dvdrecorders come down in price this will be a great solution for

    your
    > non-live tv and advertisment removal.

    For sure.

    > Depending on where you live on what you can hire on dvd, my local video
    > store has only been getting dvd's for about 1.5 to 2 years and they only

    get
    > new releases so no luck even if you want to watch a popular movie from 3
    > years ago on dvd.

    Same here.

    > In the main centres in the large video stores this is not
    > so much of a problem I think. It is frustrating but I would have to be

    very
    > desperate to hire a vhs as I don't like what vhs does to the movie
    > expereince, I have only ever rented 1 or 2 vhs tapes a year but in 1 year

    of
    > dvd's I have rented more movies than I have ever rented in my life before
    > and I have had a vcr since about 1987. Actually I only started renting vhs
    > at all once I got a hi-fi vcr as like you sound is really important to me.

    It's half the experience of a movie IMO.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2003