Re: Video Ezy's 'sale'

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by paulsy, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. paulsy

    paulsy Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:49:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    >day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    >less than the normal price. All the DVD's were $19.95 or more,
    >including ex-hire, and VHS tapes, all ex-hire, were $14.95. All the
    >new VHS tapes I have bought in recent times were well under that.
    >Many of the DVD titles I saw on sale at $19.95 were $17.95 at Harvey
    >Norman normal price, some of which I have bought at $15 at their sale
    >price. No-one seemed to be buying the DVDs.

    Heck, what sort of DVDs are you buying at HN's for only $17-95?

    I'm a little amused by this 'buy DVD' craze. How many DVDs have you
    bought and do you watch many of them more than once? Buying them from
    overseas before they are released here ( even before cinema release )
    seems to make sense but apart from that it seems silly. All the DVDs I
    bought sit in a shelf gathering dust.

    paulsy, Aug 27, 2003

  2. paulsy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message

    > "paulsy" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:49:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    > >> I'm a little amused by this 'buy DVD' craze. How many DVDs have you

    > > bought and do you watch many of them more than once? Buying them from
    > > overseas before they are released here ( even before cinema release )
    > > seems to make sense but apart from that it seems silly. All the DVDs I
    > > bought sit in a shelf gathering dust.

    > I'm with you on this. I just don't get it, but that's perhaps because

    there
    > is only 1 movie I would re-watch (Blues Brothers) time and time again. I
    > never re-read books either, so I dont see the point of buying books or
    > dvd's. I find people who do buy dvd's rather odd.

    I've re-read books after 10 or 15 years and enjoyed them again. I own one
    DVD which came with the player, The Matrix. There are a few movies I've
    watched more than once and still enjoy, the first to spring to mind is '12
    Monkeys'. I also hired a bunch of older movies last night for a week as
    there was one in particular I wanted to see and it was $5 for a week or I
    could get five movies for $10, which I did. The movie I'm gonna watch again?
    'The Usual Suspects', I remember enjoying it the first time I saw it, Kevin
    Spacy was great I thought. S'been a while now and the memory isn't what it
    use to be so I'm gonna watch it again in the next few days. Oh, back to your
    point, I agree, there are very few movies I'd buy.

    WTF is this doing in nz.comp anyway?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003

  3. On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:09:41 GMT, (paulsy) wrote:

    >I'm a little amused by this 'buy DVD' craze. How many DVDs have you
    >bought and do you watch many of them more than once?

    I know a few people who rent them, rip them, transcode them to SVCD
    and then can watch them whenever they want.

    If you're prepared to spend a lot of time encoding (on highest quality
    settings) then the results are pretty damned impressive. A 90-100
    minute movie fits on two 700MB CDRs without losing any real quality
    (still far better than VHS tape).

    Unfortunately I don't get time to even watch movies these days let
    alone dick around ripping and re-encoding and burning to disk --
    although I still burn plenty of stuff from FTA TV broadcasts-- but
    only for timeshift purposes you understand.

    I don't advocate breaching anyone's copyright and I've purchased DVDs
    of the few movies I consider worth watching more than once. This
    includes (of course) Harrold and Maude, 2001 A Space odessy, and A
    clockwork Orange.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 27, 2003
  4. paulsy

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:09:41 GMT, (paulsy) wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:49:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Went along to Video Ezy's so-called "Massive Movie Sale" the other
    >>day. I thought 'sales' were where goods are supposed to be sold at
    >>less than the normal price. All the DVD's were $19.95 or more,
    >>including ex-hire, and VHS tapes, all ex-hire, were $14.95. All the
    >>new VHS tapes I have bought in recent times were well under that.
    >>Many of the DVD titles I saw on sale at $19.95 were $17.95 at Harvey
    >>Norman normal price, some of which I have bought at $15 at their sale
    >>price. No-one seemed to be buying the DVDs.

    >Heck, what sort of DVDs are you buying at HN's for only $17-95?
    >
    >I'm a little amused by this 'buy DVD' craze. How many DVDs have you
    >bought and do you watch many of them more than once? Buying them from
    >overseas before they are released here ( even before cinema release )
    >seems to make sense but apart from that it seems silly. All the DVDs I
    >bought sit in a shelf gathering dust.

    What DVDs have you got, gathering dust?

    GraB, Aug 27, 2003
  5. paulsy

    RecylerMan Guest

    Bruce Simpson wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:09:41 GMT, (paulsy) wrote:
    >

    >>I'm a little amused by this 'buy DVD' craze. How many DVDs have you

    > I don't advocate breaching anyone's copyright and I've purchased DVDs
    > of the few movies I consider worth watching more than once. This
    > includes (of course) Harrold and Maude, 2001 A Space odessy, and A
    > clockwork Orange.
    >
    > --
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

    Clockwork Orange grate book crap movie they cut the pint out of it, in
    the last few chapters were just MIA

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Aug 27, 2003
  6. paulsy

    GraB Guest

    >I was in the same club as you before dvd's came along but then I never
    >thought much of vhs, hired about 1 or 2 vhs per year over a 10 year period
    >and would never consider buying a vhs movie, vhs diminished the movie
    >experience too much for me to really bother with it, I either seen it at the
    >movies or didn't bother, that has all now changed with dvd, dvd is good
    >enough that I feel I can get a good movie experience from it, in fact my
    >local movie theater is so poor that I don't really worry if I don't see the
    >movie at the theater, I just wait to see it on dvd but a decent theater is
    >still better of course in most respects.
    >Because I enjoy dvd's so much it has surprisingly changed my thinking, I
    >have become much more interested in movies and where before I would never
    >watch a movie twice I will now watch certain ones many times, of course it
    >would only be a fraction of 1 % of the movies that exist that I feel this
    >way about. It helps that there is almost nothing on television worth
    >watching these days, in fact if it wasn't for my dvd player it would be
    >hardly worth having a t.v. I have never re-read a book, and I don't think
    >that will change, as I said it surprises me that my view on movies has
    >changed so much.

    I can certainly understand that. I have quite a decent little stereo
    system, fed by my PC. The components were bought very cheaply but
    they happen to click, producing an exceptionally good sound for what
    it is. But years ago I had a true high-end stereo system, valued then
    at $7000. That was so much like having your own private concert in
    your room that I found that I began listening to all kinds of music
    that I previously would not have.

    I agree with you on the 1% bit too. With five free-to-air channels
    here I hardly watch any TV at all.

    GraB, Aug 28, 2003