Re: Verification code images

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > Gotta love these things, piss poor images that can't be read:
    > http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
    > Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

    Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more complex.
    Definitely a PITA.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 3, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Jul 3, 1:48 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    >
    > > Gotta love these things, piss poor images that can't be read:
    > >http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
    > > Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

    > Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more complex.
    > Definitely a PITA.

    They are definitely a pain. Surely it can't be that hard to make
    something easily recognisable by a human but not a computer? There are
    heaps of optical illusions that show how great the brain is seeing
    patterns which a computer would have trouble recognising (or is the
    cracking software really that sophisticated now?)
    Chris Lim, Jul 4, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Chris Lim" typed:
    > On Jul 3, 1:48 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    >>
    >>> Gotta love these things, piss poor images that can't be read:
    >>> http://i25.tinypic.com/98gkty.png
    >>> Too many hoops, not worth the hassle!

    >> Yup. As cracking software gets better, CAPTCHAs have to get more
    >> complex. Definitely a PITA.

    > They are definitely a pain. Surely it can't be that hard to make
    > something easily recognisable by a human but not a computer?

    I've seen one which had line drawings of animals and you had to say what
    animal it was. However, brute-force cracking would probably sort that one
    out pronto. As soon as "they" what set of animals you're using it's probably
    easier to crack than the one in the URL above.

    > There are
    > heaps of optical illusions that show how great the brain is seeing
    > patterns which a computer would have trouble recognising (or is the
    > cracking software really that sophisticated now?)

    That's an interesting idea, I'm sure someone will be working on it. However,
    I would have thought that image processing software is far better at finding
    things in images than the human brain.

    I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
    used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
    correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.

    Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
    from it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
    >used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
    >correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.
    >
    >Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
    >from it.
    >
    >Cheers,

    I'd like to see some questions like....
    A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
    have if one was removed?
    Ross, Jul 4, 2008
  5. On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:35:25 +1200, Ross <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where CAPTCHAs are
    >>used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to be answered
    >>correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite quickly too.
    >>
    >>Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some real money
    >>from it.
    >>
    >>Cheers,

    > I'd like to see some questions like....
    > A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
    > have if one was removed?

    Would the answer "one less that it would otherwise have had" be accepted?

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 4, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ross" typed:
    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:51:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think that it'll come down to email/response for places where
    >> CAPTCHAs are used, with perhaps a question in the email that need to
    >> be answered correctly. However, that'll probably get 'cracked' quite
    >> quickly too.
    >>
    >> Whoever finds an answer for this dilemma will stand to make some
    >> real money from it.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I'd like to see some questions like....
    > A green donkey had a drink of pink lemonade, How many legs would it
    > have if one was removed?

    LOL, I think that they're more likely to go the Sesame Street route, you
    know, "One of these things just doesn't belong here...."

    Damn, did I just give away a fortune?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2008