Re: Vendor other than B&H

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SMS, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. SMS

    SMS Guest

    J.H. Holliday wrote:
    > Looking to pick up a Canon P&S and my usual vendor-- B&H-- is out of stock
    > on the model I want. Adorama has it-- but their reseller ratings are a bit
    > lower than B&H-- so I'm wondering...should I wait for B&H-- or give Adorama
    > a shot?

    I've had no problems with B&H, Adorama, Buydig, and Amazon. Amazon and
    Buydig were usually the least expensive.

    SMS, Jul 3, 2008

  2. SMS

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:34:54 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

    > I bought some relatively expensive stuff from Amazon and J&R shipped
    > it to me. Thereafter I went directly to J&R, and had very satisfactory
    > transactions, no problems at all.

    J&R is a good, reputable company that I've purchased a couple of
    cameras from. But their inventory is weak and much of their photo
    accessory gear is cheap stuff, not matching the quality of the
    cameras that they sell. For example, I tried to get Nikon's very
    nice AH-4 hand strap for my D50, but discovered it's one of the few
    bodies that Nikon says shouldn't be used with the AH-4. I got a
    hand strap from J&R, but it was a "just in case" purchase - in case
    I couldn't find anything better. Several days ago I found a much
    better hand strap for the D50 at TriState Camera. It's probably a
    Nikon gray market item (identified by "CAMERA HOLDING STRAP")
    because it has no identifiable part number. At least written in
    English, and I can't read Japanese ideograms. It's a bit smaller
    than the AH-4 and less expensive, but it allows better access to
    buttons and the control wheel than the AH-4. It's the sort of item
    that B&H and Adorama may stock someday, but is very unlikely to ever
    find its way into J&R's inventory. Its advantage is that J&R stays
    open longer than B&H and Adorama, doesn't close early on Friday, and
    is open on Saturday, if waiting for Sunday isn't a good option.

    ASAAR, Jul 3, 2008

  3. SMS

    Cynicor Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:34:54 -0700, Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >> I bought some relatively expensive stuff from Amazon and J&R shipped
    >> it to me. Thereafter I went directly to J&R, and had very satisfactory
    >> transactions, no problems at all.

    > J&R is a good, reputable company that I've purchased a couple of
    > cameras from. But their inventory is weak and much of their photo
    > accessory gear is cheap stuff, not matching the quality of the
    > cameras that they sell.

    About 11 years ago I bought an external CD burner at J&R. I opened it
    up, and it had black fingerprint smudges on it, and one of the rubber
    feet was missing. They'd used their own shrink-wrapping machine to
    repackage a defective returned unit, and then I got it.

    Of course, it was a Phillips CD burner, so it was born defective.

    Cynicor, Jul 3, 2008