Re: VB.NET & C#: Both languages or just one?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Leigh Kendall, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. "Dave Litwak" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a C++ and VB6 programmer and I'm just getting started with my
    > certification.
    >
    > I am not thinking of certifying in both languages, but I am
    > considering taking some of the tests in VB.NET and others in C#? I
    > would like proficiency in both VB.NET and C# and I believe I could do
    > this. For example, I could take 70-305 (WebApps/VB), 70-316
    > (WinApps/C#), and either web services test. My question is more from
    > a standpoint of post-certification marketability as opposed to a
    > difficulty of learning. Does anyone have thoughts pro/con?

    I guess I'd have to go with my original suspicions, and the previous poster
    Jim, in that I don't believe that there's enough language specific details
    on the exam to really make a difference in which you choose. And, in
    reality, anyone worth their salt, should be fluent enough in either language
    to be able to understand little language specifics there are on the exam.

    Of course, what the perception by those hiring will be who knows. I guess it
    depends on how much they know about the exams... Perhaps someone might be
    more impressed that you did the C# exams vs. the VB.NET exams or even took
    both, but in the end, I think it would be redundant.

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Leigh Kendall

    Tore Bostrup Guest

    Any time an HR department is involved in handling applications, don't expect them to know how much similarities there are between different ..Net languages, but to look for the specifics that were listed by the hiring department (i.e. either VB.Net or C# - or other for that matter). Therefore, having a mixed language certification with an explanation of why (command of both languages) or including both tracks *may* be helpful in those situation. Once you pass the initial "filter" in the hiring process, it is probably less important - but may still give you some extra points for effort and determination...

    HTH,
    Tore.

    Tore Bostrup, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Leigh Kendall

    Jaime Guest

    I thought about doing that as well but then I thought
    having a more thorough understanding of one language
    would be more helpful in the long run.

    message

    Jaime, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Unless you're a consultant working for different clients where some will
    prefer VB.NET over C# and vice versa, I'd most likely agree.

    Seems to me that most shops settle on one language so therefore learning the
    one your shop uses most would be the determining factor.

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Leigh Kendall

    Dave Litwak Guest

    Thanks gang. The comments above re: HR and manager preferences may be
    in play out there and are good issues to consider. I'm going take the
    mixed language route and I'll post back in a few months if I get any
    new perspective on the issue. I have no doubt that in an interview
    that I can spin it as a positive. FWIW, as a hiring manager I didn't
    have any preference, as long as the code was readable, well
    structured, blah, blah, blah. Also FWIW, in the .NET world I have not
    yet found any correlation between developer talent level and language.

    Dave

    Dave Litwak, Sep 23, 2003