Re: V Cast Media Manager

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:19:48 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > I just signed up for a Verizon account and got a Samsung phone. I dont use
    > texting or internet, so need to transfer my ringtones and photos with the USB
    > and software.
    >
    > But I go to install their V Cast Media Manager and it balks, saying it wont
    > install or run on a 64 bit system.
    >
    > WTF!
    >
    > I looked and they dont appear to have anything for 64 bit that does this.
    >
    > DOes anyone know a workaround or software for this?

    It will be next year before they release the proper version.
    When droid came out people found out flash did not work on it so adobe
    began working on an updated version to make it work. Except that you needed
    a newer version of the OS for the phone, which would not be availabe for
    another two months or so.
    richard, Oct 29, 2010

  2. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 00:56:39 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > richard <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:19:48 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just signed up for a Verizon account and got a Samsung phone. I dont
    >>> use texting or internet, so need to transfer my ringtones and photos
    >>> with the USB and software.
    >>>
    >>> But I go to install their V Cast Media Manager and it balks, saying it
    >>> wont install or run on a 64 bit system.
    >>>
    >>> WTF!
    >>>
    >>> I looked and they dont appear to have anything for 64 bit that does
    >>> this.
    >>>
    >>> DOes anyone know a workaround or software for this?

    >> It will be next year before they release the proper version. When droid
    >> came out people found out flash did not work on it so adobe began
    >> working on an updated version to make it work. Except that you needed a
    >> newer version of the OS for the phone, which would not be availabe for
    >> another two months or so.
    >>

    > Swell. I think I'll take it back and they can shove it.

    Download Bitpim, see if it will install, if it does see if it detects the
    phone or if you can enter the model number. I've pissed around with
    trying to get past Verizon's software limitations since there has been a
    Verizon. First phone I was able to hack Brew's seem to allow outside
    access to the ringtone folders was the first RAZR. Wasn't easy to do
    having to download Motorola Phone Tools from a French site and the pre-
    seem hacked phone's operating system from Germany. Finding all this stuff
    took a couple days of research.

    Meat Plow, Oct 29, 2010

  3. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:19:31 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > First phone I was able to hack Brew's seem to allow outside access to
    > the ringtone folders was the first RAZR. Wasn't easy to do having to
    > download Motorola Phone Tools from a French site and the pre- seem
    > hacked phone's operating system from Germany. Finding all this stuff
    > took a couple days of research.

    First thing I do with any mobile phone is debrand and unlock it. You're
    right when you say that it sometimes takes a couple of days to find out
    how to do it and accumulate the right software, but it can generally be
    done.

    As for the Motorola RAZR, when I got one, it actually came boxed with a
    Phone Tools CD, complete with USB drivers.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Oct 29, 2010
  4. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:33:46 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:19:31 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> First phone I was able to hack Brew's seem to allow outside access to
    >> the ringtone folders was the first RAZR. Wasn't easy to do having to
    >> download Motorola Phone Tools from a French site and the pre- seem
    >> hacked phone's operating system from Germany. Finding all this stuff
    >> took a couple days of research.

    > First thing I do with any mobile phone is debrand and unlock it. You're
    > right when you say that it sometimes takes a couple of days to find out
    > how to do it and accumulate the right software, but it can generally be
    > done.
    >
    > As for the Motorola RAZR, when I got one, it actually came boxed with a
    > Phone Tools CD, complete with USB drivers.

    I meant the factory service tools that the Verizon outlets used to
    upgrade the software. It's not called Phone tools and i can't remember
    the name but it was from Motorola. Maybe called Motorola PRS or something
    like that. Unfortunately it's not on my storage server these days.

    Meat Plow, Oct 29, 2010
  5. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:13:43 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:33:46 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:19:31 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> First phone I was able to hack Brew's seem to allow outside access to
    >>> the ringtone folders was the first RAZR. Wasn't easy to do having to
    >>> download Motorola Phone Tools from a French site and the pre- seem
    >>> hacked phone's operating system from Germany. Finding all this stuff
    >>> took a couple days of research.

    >> First thing I do with any mobile phone is debrand and unlock it. You're
    >> right when you say that it sometimes takes a couple of days to find out
    >> how to do it and accumulate the right software, but it can generally be
    >> done.
    >>
    >> As for the Motorola RAZR, when I got one, it actually came boxed with a
    >> Phone Tools CD, complete with USB drivers.

    > I meant the factory service tools that the Verizon outlets used to
    > upgrade the software. It's not called Phone tools and i can't remember
    > the name but it was from Motorola.

    Aaaah! I know what you're talking about. I must have used it (or
    something similar) to de-brand, unlock and flash the firmware on the RAZR
    (or some combination of any two of the three).

    > Maybe called Motorola PRS or
    > something like that. Unfortunately it's not on my storage server these
    > days.

    Just out of curiosity, I might take a rummage round the intawebz to see
    if I can find it. Not that I need it.

    :)

    I just realised- the RAZR is sitting right in front of me, under a messy
    pile of DVDs and CDs.

    Aardvark, Oct 29, 2010
  6. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:45:43 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >

    >> Download Bitpim, see if it will install, if it does see if it detects
    >> the phone or if you can enter the model number.

    > Thanks, just tried it, doesnt detect the Samsung Gusto U360.

    Mess around with the com port settings you may get lucky. Doesn't that
    phone have a mini SD card that you can use to transfer stuff back and
    forth?

    Meat Plow, Oct 29, 2010
  7. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:16:41 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :

    >>> Thanks, just tried it, doesnt detect the Samsung Gusto U360.

    >> Mess around with the com port settings you may get lucky. Doesn't that
    >> phone have a mini SD card that you can use to transfer stuff back and
    >> forth?
    >>

    > Nope.
    >
    > And the sales woman at Costco won't call me back, nor will the guy whose
    > number she gave me to ask about setting up the simultaneous ring that I
    > need to escape from Ring Central. Feels like I'm being treated like an
    > ugly step child.
    >
    > I called tonight and found out that I have 30 days to cancel the Verizon
    > contract though. May do that. Just that we need Verizon to get away from
    > the Ring Central.

    Well Verizon has some decent phones that you can transfer call ID stuff
    like ringtones and pictures. I bought an LG eNV3 for my son. qwerty flip
    open keyboard, has an 8 GB mini-SD card in it (I bought that) and you can
    make your own video and audio folders on the SD, then transfer via
    computer to mini reader. But you may have screwed yourself with this phone
    backing out of the contract so you can get a phone you like.

    Meat Plow, Oct 30, 2010
  8. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:40:10 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >

    >>> Nope.
    >>>
    >>> And the sales woman at Costco won't call me back, nor will the guy
    >>> whose number she gave me to ask about setting up the simultaneous ring
    >>> that I need to escape from Ring Central. Feels like I'm being treated
    >>> like an ugly step child.
    >>>
    >>> I called tonight and found out that I have 30 days to cancel the
    >>> Verizon contract though. May do that. Just that we need Verizon to get
    >>> away from the Ring Central.

    >> Well Verizon has some decent phones that you can transfer call ID stuff
    >> like ringtones and pictures. I bought an LG eNV3 for my son. qwerty
    >> flip open keyboard, has an 8 GB mini-SD card in it (I bought that) and
    >> you can make your own video and audio folders on the SD, then transfer
    >> via computer to mini reader. But you may have screwed yourself with
    >> this phone backing out of the contract so you can get a phone you like.

    > I went back to Costco today and was ready to cancel the contract, but
    > have 30 days so no rush. If I want big keyboards and dont do texting or
    > internet but DO use the camera, they have the LG Octane and Samsung
    > Intensity 2. Gotta go research those two now...

    The EnV3 has the best camera for a low cost texting phone I've ever used.
    3.1 megapix. Lots of modes to use for your shots. I don't text much but
    when I do I like the clamshell keyboard. Plus it's got a 2.5" screen
    and a lot of bells and whistles. I paid around $29 for mine with a 2 year
    contract.

    Meat Plow, Oct 31, 2010
  9. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 20:23:56 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    >>> I went back to Costco today and was ready to cancel the contract, but
    >>> have 30 days so no rush. If I want big keyboards and dont do texting
    >>> or internet but DO use the camera, they have the LG Octane and Samsung
    >>> Intensity 2. Gotta go research those two now...

    >> The EnV3 has the best camera for a low cost texting phone I've ever
    >> used. 3.1 megapix. Lots of modes to use for your shots. I don't text
    >> much but when I do I like the clamshell keyboard. Plus it's got a 2.5"
    >> screen and a lot of bells and whistles. I paid around $29 for mine with
    >> a 2 year contract.
    >>

    > I only have a choice of the LG Octane and Samsung Intensity 2 here, and
    > my only criteria is bigger dialing keys, maybe a camera and video, but
    > being able to transfer files over the USB, as I'm not buying internet or
    > texting from them. That appears to rule out the Samsung ( Same shit,
    > different day ).

    Why is your selection limited? I don't blame you for not wanting internet
    but 250 messages/mo is only 5 bucks. And if you text another Verizon
    phone it doesn't count against the balance. Might as well have it hell
    you want a freaking laptop in your dashboard! Back to the question, why
    the limitation in choice.

    Meat Plow, Nov 1, 2010
  10. richard

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 19:50:12 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    >>> I only have a choice of the LG Octane and Samsung Intensity 2 here,
    >>> and my only criteria is bigger dialing keys, maybe a camera and video,
    >>> but being able to transfer files over the USB, as I'm not buying
    >>> internet or texting from them. That appears to rule out the Samsung (
    >>> Same shit, different day ).

    >> Why is your selection limited? I don't blame you for not wanting
    >> internet but 250 messages/mo is only 5 bucks.

    > I dont care about texting.
    >
    >> And if you text another Verizon
    >> phone it doesn't count against the balance. Might as well have it hell
    >> you want a freaking laptop in your dashboard! Back to the question, why
    >> the limitation in choice.

    > <shrug>

    Jesus christ you're fucking stupid. Stone-cold stupid.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.
    Dan C, Nov 2, 2010
  11. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    >>> I only have a choice of the LG Octane and Samsung Intensity 2 here,
    >>> and my only criteria is bigger dialing keys, maybe a camera and video,
    >>> but being able to transfer files over the USB, as I'm not buying
    >>> internet or texting from them. That appears to rule out the Samsung (
    >>> Same shit, different day ).

    >> Why is your selection limited? I don't blame you for not wanting
    >> internet but 250 messages/mo is only 5 bucks.

    > I dont care about texting.
    >
    >> And if you text another Verizon
    >> phone it doesn't count against the balance. Might as well have it hell
    >> you want a freaking laptop in your dashboard! Back to the question, why
    >> the limitation in choice.

    > <shrug>

    <plonk>

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2010
  12. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 01:01:31 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Why is your selection limited? I don't blame you for not wanting
    >>> internet but 250 messages/mo is only 5 bucks.

    >> I dont care about texting.
    >>
    >>> And if you text another Verizon
    >>> phone it doesn't count against the balance. Might as well have it hell
    >>> you want a freaking laptop in your dashboard! Back to the question,
    >>> why the limitation in choice.

    >> <shrug>

    > Jesus christ you're fucking stupid. Stone-cold stupid.

    For one rare instance I have to agree.

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2010
  13. richard

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 11:40:28 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 01:01:31 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> I dont care about texting.

    >>> <shrug>

    >> Jesus christ you're fucking stupid. Stone-cold stupid.

    > For one rare instance I have to agree.

    You generally agree with everything I say, because you know I'm right.
    Every time.

    I understand that you can't say that right out in public. It's OK.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.
    Dan C, Nov 2, 2010
  14. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:13:56 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 11:40:28 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Jesus christ you're fucking stupid. Stone-cold stupid.

    >> For one rare instance I have to agree.

    > You generally agree with everything I say, because you know I'm right.
    > Every time.
    >
    > I understand that you can't say that right out in public. It's OK.

    Don't let the excitement of a superior intelligence actually agreeing
    with you get to your head. Like I said it's a rare occasion.

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2010
  15. richard

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:23:59 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :

    >>> Jesus christ you're fucking stupid. Stone-cold stupid.

    >> For one rare instance I have to agree.
    >>

    > Drama queen with the "plonk".

    Yes, he is indeed a drama queen, and you're still stone-cold stupid.

    > Look, posting on usenet is an imperfect means of communications ( as if
    > there even was a perfect one ).

    What the **** is that relevant to?

    Jesus. Got to be retarded.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.
    Dan C, Nov 2, 2010
  16. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:08:01 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:23:59 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote :

    >>> For one rare instance I have to agree.
    >>>

    >> Drama queen with the "plonk".

    > Yes, he is indeed a drama queen,

    KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

    Irony meters simultaneously detonate world-wide.

    Meat Plow, Nov 3, 2010