Re: Using QoS on a home router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rhino, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:24:38 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any point in setting up QoS on a home router?
    >
    >I was thinking of prioritising web traffic with it but I am not sure whether
    >it is even worth it.

    If you are using any form of voip, then it would be worthwhile to
    prioritise the voice packets, but for data only I would not bother.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Aug 14, 2009

  2. Rhino

    Richard Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:24:38 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any point in setting up QoS on a home router?
    >>
    >> I was thinking of prioritising web traffic with it but I am not sure whether
    >> it is even worth it.
    >>

    > If you are using any form of voip, then it would be worthwhile to
    > prioritise the voice packets, but for data only I would not bother.

    Makes web so much quicker when its requests are not sitting in the queue
    behind masses of torrent uploads.

    Richard, Aug 15, 2009

  3. In message <h658au$j93$>, Richard wrote:

    > Makes web so much quicker when its requests are not sitting in the queue
    > behind masses of torrent uploads.

    In KTorrent I can set bandwidth limits across all torrents and individual
    torrents.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 15, 2009
  4. On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:40:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <h658au$j93$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Makes web so much quicker when its requests are not sitting in the queue
    >> behind masses of torrent uploads.

    >In KTorrent I can set bandwidth limits across all torrents and individual
    >torrents.

    Azureus recommends setting your upload bandwidth a bit lower than your
    maximum available, so that ACK packets have more chance to get out
    easily. That helps your torrent download speed as well as other
    downloads. But personally I prefer to have QoS if possible, and set
    it to prioritise small ACK packets ahead of everything else.

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 15, 2009
  5. Rhino

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <h658au$j93$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Makes web so much quicker when its requests are not sitting in the queue
    >> behind masses of torrent uploads.

    > In KTorrent I can set bandwidth limits across all torrents and individual
    > torrents.

    As can I with utorrent, but putting http to the head of the queue still
    makes a substantial difference even when leaving 200kbot of outgoing
    bandwidth available.

    Richard, Aug 15, 2009