Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phillip Windell, Jul 2, 2008.

  1. "Steve JORDI" <> wrote in message
    > OK
    >
    > thanks to all. I will continue to proceed as I currently do,
    > "releasing" the Ethernet board to switch to the WiFi one,
    > and "renewing" it when switching back to cabled network.

    You don't have to do that.
    It happens automatically for wireless when you "connect" to the SSID
    It happens automaticaly for wired when you plug in the cable.

    Do not have the wireless connected at the same time the wired is connected.
    Unplug the wired when you aren't using it,...turn off the wireless when you
    are not using it,...only use one at a time. It is simple,..no big deal.

    As far as Applications using a certain nic,...can't be done. Applications
    have no idea what a nic even is. The nic in use for a particular piece of
    traffic is determined by the OS's Routing Table,...the route chosen is based
    on the Destination IP#,....Applications are oblivious to it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 2, 2008

  2. "Steve JORDI" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:38:26 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't have to do that.
    >>It happens automatically for wireless when you "connect" to the SSID
    >>It happens automaticaly for wired when you plug in the cable.
    >>Do not have the wireless connected at the same time the wired is
    >>connected.

    > Well but that is exactly what I want. Both at the same time.

    No,..you can't. They are both the same network.

    > If I unplug the Ethernet cable, then I lose all my network
    > connections, etc.

    Of course it is going to,...then when you enable the other adapter they will
    come back again.

    > I'd like to have them both cohabit together,

    Networking fundamentals just simply do not work that way. Now before
    someone else mentions it,..."Nic Teaming" is a way to use two Nics on the
    same network,...but this does not apply nor have any bearing and what this
    situation is about.

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175767

    > being able to tell some specifiy application to use one NIC over the
    > other one.

    You can't.

    > Someone told me to use the "route" command... I'll investigate this.

    There are some Application Server Services that will attach to a specific
    Nic (like DNS Services, IIS Sites), but that does not apply to your
    situation.
    Applications do not know what a Routing Table is.
    Application cannot and do not "choose" routes out of a Routing Table.
    Both Nics are the same network in the first place,...so the Routing Table
    becomes irrelevant. The purpose of a Routing Table is to determine the
    correct TCP/IP-Based Gateway for a particular TCP/IP-Based Destination when
    that particular Destination does not exist within the same network as the
    Source.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com