Re: Using a parallel input printer on a USB port?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kimber, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Kimber

    Kimber Guest

    On 15-Apr-2007, "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote:

    > I just upgraded my home computer to a new Dell which didn't come with a
    > parallel printer port.
    >
    > I've beeen using a trusty old Cannon BJ-240L printer and it does an
    > adequate
    > job for the occassional things I need to print.
    >
    > Is there any cost effective way to use my old printer with my new
    > computer,
    > which doesn't have a parallel port?
    >
    > Or should I just buy a new printer?

    You have a few options:

    1. Purchase an LPT1 (parallel port) to USB adapter.
    2. If you have an open PCI slot in your tower, and you feel comfortable
    installing hardware, you can purchase a printer port PCI card.
    3. Purchase a new USB printer.

    Please keep in mind that if you choose to go with the adapter, there may be
    some compatibility issues, and there aren't always drivers for old printers
    to use with new operating systems (although a generic driver may work).

    Kimber
    Kimber, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Kimber

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Kimber wrote:

    > On 15-Apr-2007, "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just upgraded my home computer to a new Dell which didn't come with a
    >>parallel printer port.
    >>
    >>I've beeen using a trusty old Cannon BJ-240L printer and it does an
    >>adequate
    >>job for the occassional things I need to print.
    >>
    >>Is there any cost effective way to use my old printer with my new
    >>computer,
    >>which doesn't have a parallel port?
    >>
    >>Or should I just buy a new printer?

    > You have a few options:
    >
    > 1. Purchase an LPT1 (parallel port) to USB adapter.
    > 2. If you have an open PCI slot in your tower, and you feel comfortable
    > installing hardware, you can purchase a printer port PCI card.

    Thanks, I just ordered this one:

    http://tinyurl.com/2bcfaq

    Now I'll just wait for it to arrive and hope that it works with the
    Microsoft Vista in my new PC, since the specs only read, "Win 95 through
    XP".

    I've been having fun and games getting some of my older software and
    hardware functional on the new PC. Like I found out the first time I
    clicked on "Help" on some earlier software that Vista has no built in
    program for working with .hlp files, but fortunately I got steered to a
    Microsoft download which adds that function to Vista.

    And, the software installation CD for my UMAX scanner wouldn't load
    under Vista. I punged UMAX on that and the answer back was, "We know,
    we're working with Microsoft on that, in the meantime just use your
    scanner on an older machine."

    Jeff
    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Apr 17, 2007

  3. Kimber

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Re: Using a parallel input printer on a USB port?-Redux

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    > Kimber wrote:
    >
    >> On 15-Apr-2007, "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I just upgraded my home computer to a new Dell which didn't come with a
    >>> parallel printer port.
    >>>
    >>> I've beeen using a trusty old Cannon BJ-240L printer and it does an
    >>> adequate
    >>> job for the occassional things I need to print.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any cost effective way to use my old printer with my new
    >>> computer,
    >>> which doesn't have a parallel port?
    >>>
    >>> Or should I just buy a new printer?

    >> You have a few options:
    >>
    >> 1. Purchase an LPT1 (parallel port) to USB adapter.
    >> 2. If you have an open PCI slot in your tower, and you feel comfortable
    >> installing hardware, you can purchase a printer port PCI card.

    > Thanks, I just ordered this one:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2bcfaq
    >
    > Now I'll just wait for it to arrive and hope that it works with the
    > Microsoft Vista in my new PC, since the specs only read, "Win 95 through
    > XP".
    >
    > I've been having fun and games getting some of my older software and
    > hardware functional on the new PC. Like I found out the first time I
    > clicked on "Help" on some earlier software that Vista has no built in
    > program for working with .hlp files, but fortunately I got steered to a
    > Microsoft download which adds that function to Vista.
    >
    > And, the software installation CD for my UMAX scanner wouldn't load
    > under Vista. I punged UMAX on that and the answer back was, "We know,
    > we're working with Microsoft on that, in the meantime just use your
    > scanner on an older machine."
    >
    > Jeff

    The card arrived today and after I installed it Windows Vista downloaded
    a driver for it all by itself from what it termed a "Windows Update"
    location.

    I downloaded the latest Canon driver for the old BJ-240L, which was
    labled as being for Windows only through XP, but it installed fine and
    the printer is now working slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.

    Now, if I can figger out how to get that darn UMAX 3400 Scanner running
    under Vista I'll have everything working again.

    The reply I got from UMAX wasn't to encouraging, it said:

    O/S Vista is not yet supported.
    This has to do with DRM and compatibilities of WIA.
    Umax doesn’t support WIA.
    Umax is presently in communication with MS concerning these issues.
    When/If a link is approved- it will be posted online accordingly.

    Sorry for any inconvenience. For the time being you’ll have to keep
    this scanner on a system between 98 and XP.

    Yeah, great...

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
    Jeff Wisnia, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Kimber

    Jeff Wisnia <> wrote:

    >Now, if I can figger out how to get that darn UMAX 3400 Scanner running
    >under Vista I'll have everything working again.
    >
    >The reply I got from UMAX wasn't to encouraging, it said:
    >
    >O/S Vista is not yet supported.
    >This has to do with DRM and compatibilities of WIA.

    Perfect, pry to keep you from scanning pages from Playboy.

    Dell is listening and putting XP on their computers instead of Vista
    because of the complaints.
    http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2188186/dell-makes-u-turn-xp
    at least for awhile longer.
    --