Re: Using a dialup modem over a MagicJack link

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
    > dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
    > like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
    > internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
    > modem is communicating.
    >
    > I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even with
    > a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
    > not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile froup.

    WHICH "connection" never goes "through"? When you attempt to make a
    dial-up connection to your ISP? Does your broadband ISP actually
    provide a dial-up service? Or are you talking about making a connection
    or phone call using the MagicJack *after* you already connected to your
    ISP using their dial-up pool?

    MagicJack is a USB device (you actually don't even need it but they
    won't tell you that and it requires loading the program differently than
    how they tell you). It does NOT sit anywhere in the network connection.
    Your host sees it like it sees your USB printer or other USB device.
    Dial-up is way too slow to *use* the VOIP service provided by Ymax (the
    company that provides the VOIP service and sells the USB device under
    the MagicJack brand name).

    Does the dial-up modem work when the MagicJack USB device is unplugged
    from your host? Otherwise, how do you know the dial-up modem works at
    all before trying to determine if there is a conflict?

    WHAT kind of analog data modem are you using? Is this an on-board
    modem, daughtercard modem, or USB modem? If USB then there would be a
    problem with the amount of traffic generated by a VOIP device for a USB
    dial-up modem, especially if you put both devices on the same USB
    controller (each has 2 channels and why you see USB ports in pairs).
    VanguardLH, Jun 9, 2009

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>
    >>> First off, just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a
    >>> dialup connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection. What I'd
    >>> like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup modem for
    >>> internet access. Not to use on a regular basis, but just to test if the
    >>> modem is communicating.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried it of course but the connection never goes through, even with
    >>> a known good dialup modem. MagicJack's tech support seems to think it's
    >>> not possible which is why I'm picking the brains of this erstwhile froup.

    >> WHICH "connection" never goes "through"? When you attempt to make a
    >> dial-up connection to your ISP? Does your broadband ISP actually
    >> provide a dial-up service? Or are you talking about making a connection
    >> or phone call using the MagicJack *after* you already connected to your
    >> ISP using their dial-up pool?
    >>
    >> MagicJack is a USB device (you actually don't even need it but they
    >> won't tell you that and it requires loading the program differently than
    >> how they tell you). It does NOT sit anywhere in the network connection.
    >> Your host sees it like it sees your USB printer or other USB device.
    >> Dial-up is way too slow to *use* the VOIP service provided by Ymax (the
    >> company that provides the VOIP service and sells the USB device under
    >> the MagicJack brand name).
    >>
    >> Does the dial-up modem work when the MagicJack USB device is unplugged
    >> from your host? Otherwise, how do you know the dial-up modem works at
    >> all before trying to determine if there is a conflict?
    >>
    >> WHAT kind of analog data modem are you using? Is this an on-board
    >> modem, daughtercard modem, or USB modem? If USB then there would be a
    >> problem with the amount of traffic generated by a VOIP device for a USB
    >> dial-up modem, especially if you put both devices on the same USB
    >> controller (each has 2 channels and why you see USB ports in pairs).

    > My condolences, but you receive a great big raspberry for not
    > understanding the question. Unplugging the the MagicJack to check for
    > connectivity has the predictable results that nothing works. There's no
    > dedicated land line at that location. At locations with land lines the
    > modem connects fine. This question is only to see if there's a way to
    > connect an analog modem up to a digital (VOiP) port, such as MagicJack.
    > Take it in good humor, as it is meant.

    Those who have the MagicJack know how it is to be used, including its
    USB dongle. If your intent was to mislead respondents who don't use the
    device into wild goose chases, tough, didn't work with me.

    "What I'd like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a dialup
    modem for internet access."

    Well, if you have a dial-up modem then just WHERE does the MagicJack
    come into play? Whether you have the MagicJack plugged in or not, you
    still have the dial-up modem, don't you?

    Only a boob thinks they can connect any data modem to the "PHONE" jack
    on the MagicJack dongle. What do you think happens when you connect
    your telco line to the "FAX" or "PHONE" ports on your data/fax modem
    (instead to the "TELCO" port)?

    So you have a dial-up modem. Just HOW does that analog data modem
    connect to a computer? Hmmmmmmm? You never bothered identifying WHAT
    analog data modem you would be using. If it's a daughtercard then
    obviously nothing of it would connect to the MagicJack dongle. If it is
    an old serial port modem, still nothing of the MagicJack dongle is
    involved. If it is a USB modem then the MagicJack dongle is still not
    involved because it doesn't have a USB port. And what of the "PHONE"
    jack on the MagicJack dongle? What analog modem sends its *data* to the
    host through an RJ-11 cable? What RJ-11 port have you seen on a host
    that accepts *data* from an external modem?

    Too bad, but your post was not humor and trying to pretend now that it
    was makes it even more evident that you're a boob with a thin-skinned
    ego trying to protect it. It wasn't phrased as such nor indicated as
    such. You asked a question, were shown to be a boob, and now you're
    trying to cover your ass by pretending it was a joke. The egg is still
    on your face no matter trying to put a mask over it.
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2009

  3. VanguardLH

    M.L. Guest

    >Unplugging the the MagicJack to check for
    >connectivity has the predictable results that nothing works. There's no
    >dedicated land line at that location. At locations with land lines the
    >modem connects fine.

    magicJack can't work without first having an established Internet
    connection. Your OP read as if you were trying to use VOIP from your
    dialup Internet connection. In order to establish a dialup Internet
    connection you must first have an active landline source.

    >This question is only to see if there's a way to
    >connect an analog modem up to a digital (VOiP) port, such as MagicJack.

    magicJack's RJ-11 port is meant to be connected to a telephone to
    actuate its electronics. It's not meant to be connected to a modem.
    M.L., Jun 10, 2009
  4. Hu Flung Dung, Jun 10, 2009
  5. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Those who have the MagicJack know how it is to be used, including its
    >> USB dongle.

    > Au contraire, most serious one. I've had the MagicJack for several
    > months and wasn't sure if this could work or not.

    Your MagicJack USB device didn't come with a label on the back showing
    "Phone" for its RJ-11 port? Did you peel it off? Just where did you
    plan on plugging in the USB prong of the MagicJack dongle? It won't fit
    in the RJ-11 ports of your modem.

    http://coconutwireless.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/magicjack.jpg
    That's the USB prong (male). It goes into a USB port. Your modem
    doesn't have a USB *port* (female).

    http://images.macnn.com/macnn/news/0804/10-magic-1.jpg
    You get a shortie USB female-to-male cable. Obviously the female end of
    this cord goes to the male end of the dongle. That still leaves you
    with the male end of the cord to plug into a female port but your modem
    doesn't have a female USB port.

    http://www.getusb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/042308b.jpg
    That's the RJ-11 *port* (female) into which you plug an endpoint device,
    like a telephone.

    http://djo.ca/magicjack.jpg
    http://www.devilsworkshop.org/files/2009/04/magicjack-2.jpg
    Simple setup. Plug the MagicJack dongle (male end) into a USB port
    (female). Optionally plug in a telephone's cord (male end) into its
    RJ-11 port (female).

    > I could be wrong, but ALL the dialup modems I've used had an RJ-11 cable
    > going to the wall jack.

    Does the USB prong of the MagicJack dongle fit into the RJ-11 port of
    your modem? Nope. The MagicJack dongle's USB prong requires a female
    USB port.

    How would you connect the female RJ-11 port on the MagicJack dongle
    (marked "Phone") to the female RJ-11 "Phone" or "Fax" ports on your
    modem?

    > Me pretend? hehe ... and I don't care if there's egg on my face or not,
    > I've quite a few pets that would be happy to remove it.

    I'm picturing the joke of the dog owner wanting to get rid of unwanted
    dinner guests, so he has the dog lick the plates and puts them away into
    the cupboard. The guests see this and choose not to dine there again.
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2009
  6. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> Au contraire, most serious one. I've had the MagicJack for several
    >>> months and wasn't sure if this could work or not.

    >> Your MagicJack USB device didn't come with a label on the back showing
    >> "Phone" for its RJ-11 port? Did you peel it off? Just where did you
    >> plan on plugging in the USB prong of the MagicJack dongle? It won't fit
    >> in the RJ-11 ports of your modem.
    >>
    >> http://coconutwireless.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/magicjack.jpg
    >> That's the USB prong (male). It goes into a USB port. Your modem
    >> doesn't have a USB *port* (female).
    >>
    >> http://images.macnn.com/macnn/news/0804/10-magic-1.jpg
    >> You get a shortie USB female-to-male cable. Obviously the female end of
    >> this cord goes to the male end of the dongle. That still leaves you
    >> with the male end of the cord to plug into a female port but your modem
    >> doesn't have a female USB port.
    >>
    >> http://www.getusb.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/042308b.jpg
    >> That's the RJ-11 *port* (female) into which you plug an endpoint device,
    >> like a telephone.
    >>
    >> http://djo.ca/magicjack.jpg
    >> http://www.devilsworkshop.org/files/2009/04/magicjack-2.jpg
    >> Simple setup. Plug the MagicJack dongle (male end) into a USB port
    >> (female). Optionally plug in a telephone's cord (male end) into its
    >> RJ-11 port (female).
    >>
    >>> I could be wrong, but ALL the dialup modems I've used had an RJ-11 cable
    >>> going to the wall jack.

    >> Does the USB prong of the MagicJack dongle fit into the RJ-11 port of
    >> your modem? Nope. The MagicJack dongle's USB prong requires a female
    >> USB port.
    >>
    >> How would you connect the female RJ-11 port on the MagicJack dongle
    >> (marked "Phone") to the female RJ-11 "Phone" or "Fax" ports on your
    >> modem?
    >>
    >>> Me pretend? hehe ... and I don't care if there's egg on my face or not,
    >>> I've quite a few pets that would be happy to remove it.

    >> I'm picturing the joke of the dog owner wanting to get rid of unwanted
    >> dinner guests, so he has the dog lick the plates and puts them away into
    >> the cupboard. The guests see this and choose not to dine there again.

    > What in the bloody hell are you blathering about? I asked about hooking
    > in the modem of a laptop to the MagicJack. I didn't mention USB ports,
    > dongles or any of that shit. No mention of female RJ-11 ports, all the
    > figment of your imaginary question that I didn't ask. But I appreciate
    > the imagery of putting freshly cleaned dishes in the cupboard. I'll try
    > it this weekend.

    Oh, and what do YOU think constitutes what is "MagicJack"?
    VanguardLH, Jun 10, 2009
  7. VanguardLH

    M.L. Guest

    >> magicJack can't work without first having an established Internet
    >> connection. Your OP read as if you were trying to use VOIP from your
    >> dialup Internet connection. In order to establish a dialup Internet
    >> connection you must first have an active landline source.

    >I suppose the first sentence was too ambiguous when I said "First off,
    >just to be clear, I'm not wanting to use MagicJack over a dialup
    >connection, it's already on a 12Mbs cable connection."

    My comment was a response to the second sentence in your paragraph,
    which you conveniently deleted.

    <quote by Ron>
    >>> What I'd like to be able to do is test a laptop that only has a
    >>>dialup modem for internet access. Not to use on a regular basis,
    >>>but just to test if the modem is communicating.

    </quote by Ron>

    I think it was reasonable to assume that you had a landline for dialup
    Internet access.

    >>> This question is only to see if there's a way to
    >>> connect an analog modem up to a digital (VOiP) port, such as MagicJack.

    >> magicJack's RJ-11 port is meant to be connected to a telephone to
    >> actuate its electronics. It's not meant to be connected to a modem.

    >I think you're right.

    If you don't have Internet access at that location you can forget
    about using *any* Voice Over INTERNET Protocol devices or apps.
    M.L., Jun 10, 2009