Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear, May 2, 2007.

  1. PA Bear

    PA Bear Guest

    Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via crosspost.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, May 2, 2007

  2. 64bit Windows can use more than 4GB of ram. 128GB.

    There are a few 32bit programs that will not run under Windows x64. Most do
    run. The biggest issue is programs that require some sort of driver. Those
    must have 64bit drivers to work.

    You cannot run Windows 64bit of any flavor without a 64bit processor. You
    must have a 64bit cpu.

    All versions of Vista come in both 32bit and 64bit versions. There are
    separate dvds for 32bit and 64bit.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 2, 2007

  3. 1.) RAM - probably. But there are situations where a portion of the RAM is
    still not visible. This is dependent on the BIOS and how it handles
    addresses between the 3GB and 4GB range that are normally used by PCI card
    BIOS. If those addresses are properly re-mapped, then RAM that is hidden by
    them becomes available. But this may require a BIOS update.

    2.) 32-bit Windows can use 4 GB of RAM, with some exceptions in the Server
    space. x64 versions of Windows can all use far more than 4 GB. XP x64, and
    Vista 64-bit can use 128 GB of RAM.

    3.) Programs running. Mostly yes, assuming ou have suitable drivers that are
    64-bit. Colin has outlined the most common exceptions.

    4.) Yes, you must have a 64bit processor to run a 64bit operating system.

    5.) Vista is available as both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 2, 2007
  4. PA Bear

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    >1.) RAM - probably. But there are situations where a portion of the RAM is
    >still not visible. This is dependent on the BIOS and how it handles
    >addresses between the 3GB and 4GB range that are normally used by PCI card
    >BIOS. If those addresses are properly re-mapped, then RAM that is hidden by
    >them becomes available. But this may require a BIOS update.

    I disagree with this. Intel and Intel-type 32-bit machines have a 32
    bit address space. That translates to 4GB of address space. That space
    must be used to access physical RAM as well as video memory, ROM BIOS
    and whatever other items need to be accessed on PCI and PCI-X cards.
    However much address space is needed for those things cannot be used
    to access system RAM, it's that simple.

    >2.) 32-bit Windows can use 4 GB of RAM, with some exceptions in the Server
    >space.

    That's true, some of the server systems use PAE (physical address
    extensions). There's a table in the first few pages of the document at
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/mem-mgmt.doc
    that shows the maximum physical memory (actually the maximum address
    space) supported by various Microsoft operating systems (the doc was
    written before Vista, so it doesn't include any Vista systems).

    > x64 versions of Windows can all use far more than 4 GB. XP x64, and
    > Vista 64-bit can use 128 GB of RAM.

    Yes. Note that if they implemented a full 64-bit address space, that
    would mean something like exabytes of RAM. 128GB is a 37-bit address
    space. No doubt that will expand over the years.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, May 3, 2007
  5. "Tim Slattery" <> wrote in message
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:
    >
    >>1.) RAM - probably. But there are situations where a portion of the RAM is
    >>still not visible. This is dependent on the BIOS and how it handles
    >>addresses between the 3GB and 4GB range that are normally used by PCI card
    >>BIOS. If those addresses are properly re-mapped, then RAM that is hidden
    >>by
    >>them becomes available. But this may require a BIOS update.

    > I disagree with this. Intel and Intel-type 32-bit machines have a 32
    > bit address space. That translates to 4GB of address space. That space
    > must be used to access physical RAM as well as video memory, ROM BIOS
    > and whatever other items need to be accessed on PCI and PCI-X cards.
    > However much address space is needed for those things cannot be used
    > to access system RAM, it's that simple.

    We don't disagree on a 32-bit OS - that was exactly my point. On a 32-bit
    OS, you will lose some RAM. But on a 64bit OS, it can remap and give you
    access to the RAM. IF the BIOS supports it.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2007
  6. PA Bear

    Luis Ortega Guest

    Re: Using 64 bit Windows XP- Thanks Guys

    This sounds like more trouble than it's worth for me.
    Thanks to all for their advice.

    Luis Ortega, May 3, 2007