Re: Usenet service?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Coffee Lover Girl wrote:
    > cross post to less than 10 groups max,

    There is a 'problem' with groups or participants in groups in which this
    kind of posting style of yours prevails:

    Newsgroups: nj.general, oh.general, md.general, ny.general, la.general,
    miami.general

    Newsgroups: co.general, alt.politics.conservative,
    alt.politics.usa,us.politics, alt.society.liberalism

    Newsgroups: co.general, talk.politics.guns, alt.politics.republican,
    alt.politics.usa.republican, alt.politics.republicans, alt.politics.usa,
    us.politics, alt.politics.usa.constitution.gun-rights, alt.guns

    I'm probably not the right one to rant about this issue, because all of my
    views about this aren't agreed on by many -- but I will say that I don't
    think that anyone should initiate any post or crosspost into any group
    which they don't subscribe to and read regularly - no blind posting or
    crossposting, and they shouldn't crosspost reply that way either.

    If I am reading a message in co.general and I don't read nj.general or
    oh.general or md.general or ny.general or la.general or miami.general and
    someone posts a message to all of those groups -- first of all, neither I
    nor a great many other people are ever going to see the message because it
    is so crossposted as to get autofiltered out.

    Then, if by some chance I see the message, when I reply to it, I am going
    to snip out all of those crossposted groups and only post my message to
    co.general, because that's the group I read. Then, if someone reading
    only ny.general was the one who posted the message I'm replying to, they
    aren't going to see my reply. The whole thing is a mess.

    And there is more wrong than that, but I'm going to hold off a bit.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 28, 2009