Re: USB3 or e-SATA??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jan 11, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    tt wrote:
    > Hi, I'd like to buy a new PC and I'd like to know if it is better to
    > buy a case and motherboard with USB3 or e-SATA port.
    > Why many new and expensive cases have e-SATA port but don't have USB3
    > port? In your opinion, what is better please?
    > I'm sorry my inexperience.

    This motherboard

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67 Extreme4

    comes with a USB3 5.25" front mounted tray. Asrock apparently
    is the first company to supply a motherboard header for USB3,
    and also provide a cable and 5.25" tray for front mounting.
    You may not be able to find that on other brands.

    The tray comes with two USB3 ports, and the connector on the
    end of the cable is a new design.

    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4080/Web.JPG

    I expect other companies will copy it, and offer it in their
    next generation of motherboards.

    *******

    If you buy one of these USB3 add-in cards, it has one internal USB3
    port. The chip used here, is commonly used on motherboards offering
    USB3, so it is the same chip (from NEC).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201033

    You would combine that product, with this front mount tray, which
    has USB3 connectors on it. To make both these connectors work,
    you would buy two of the previous item (Koutech USB3 card PEU233).
    My guess is, this fits in a front mount 3.5" bay, or you could buy
    a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter, to fit in one of the 5.25" bays.

    (SilverStone FP36S Aluminum front panel 2X USB 3.0 ports with 3.5"
    to 2X 2.5" bay converter device)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997022

    *******

    You can also buy hardware to add ESATA or ESATAp to new computers,
    if they don't have it.

    More information on some new inventions for ESATA, are shown here.
    The addition of pins P12 and P13, allow computers to provide +12V
    power, to external ESATA enclosures, so the ESATA box no longer needs
    a wall adapter or AC line cord.

    http://www.addonics.com/emerging_technologies/euhp.asp?PageType=Print

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 11, 2011