Re: USB2 faster than Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Picopirate, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Picopirate

    Picopirate Guest

    "Tesselator" <> wrote in message
    news:bcvvl0$kvd$...

    > I personally would never consider hooking up an HD to a firewire
    > or USB2 unless it was a laptop or something. Kid-stuff.

    Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on your
    USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer, your
    work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers have
    USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs. They
    also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at home
    w/o having to VPN into the office network.

    Picopirate, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Picopirate

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Picopirate wrote:

    > "Tesselator" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I personally would never consider hooking up an HD to a firewire
    >>or USB2 unless it was a laptop or something. Kid-stuff.
    >>

    > Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    > laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on your
    > USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer, your
    > work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers have
    > USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    > their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs. They
    > also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at home
    > w/o having to VPN into the office network.

    Pretty cheap too. Saw a 60GB USB 2.0 HD at CompUSA for only $130.
    Pretty tempting for backup.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Picopirate

    Guest

    As I have to travel between two computers regularly, last year I
    bought a Maxtor 250gb external HD with both USB2.0 & Firewire. It's
    fast and works flawlessly.

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:38:45 -0500, "Picopirate" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tesselator" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I personally would never consider hooking up an HD to a firewire
    >> or USB2 unless it was a laptop or something. Kid-stuff.
    >>

    >Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    >laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on your
    >USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer, your
    >work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers have
    >USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    >their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs. They
    >also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at home
    >w/o having to VPN into the office network.

    , Oct 9, 2003
  4. Picopirate

    Mark M Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Picopirate wrote:
    >
    > > "Tesselator" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I personally would never consider hooking up an HD to a firewire
    > >>or USB2 unless it was a laptop or something. Kid-stuff.
    > >>

    > > Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    > > laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on

    your
    > > USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer,

    your
    > > work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers

    have
    > > USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    > > their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs.

    They
    > > also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at

    home
    > > w/o having to VPN into the office network.
    > >

    > Pretty cheap too. Saw a 60GB USB 2.0 HD at CompUSA for only $130.
    > Pretty tempting for backup.

    Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    for $179!
    These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I type
    this...

    Mark M, Oct 10, 2003
  5. Picopirate

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    >>Pretty cheap too. Saw a 60GB USB 2.0 HD at CompUSA for only $130.
    >>Pretty tempting for backup.

    > Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    > for $179!
    > These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I type
    > this...

    Ah, yes, I thought there was something about the way your e-mail looked,
    that explains it.

    Alan Browne, Oct 10, 2003
  6. Picopirate

    Mark M Guest

    "Alan Browne" <"Alan Browne"@videotron.canospam> wrote in message

    > Mark M wrote:
    >

    > >>Pretty cheap too. Saw a 60GB USB 2.0 HD at CompUSA for only $130.
    > >>Pretty tempting for backup.

    > > Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    > > for $179!
    > > These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I

    type
    > > this...

    > Ah, yes, I thought there was something about the way your e-mail looked,
    > that explains it.

    Huh???

    Mark M, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Picopirate

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Picopirate wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Tesselator" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    >>>laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on

    > your
    >
    >>>USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer,

    > your
    >
    >>>work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers

    > have
    >
    >>>USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    >>>their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs.

    > They
    >
    >>>also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at

    > home
    >
    >>>w/o having to VPN into the office network.
    >>>

    >>Pretty cheap too. Saw a 60GB USB 2.0 HD at CompUSA for only $130.
    >>Pretty tempting for backup.

    > Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    > for $179!
    > These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I type
    > this...

    You need more than 240 GB (the two plus whatever you have in the
    laptop)? What do you DO with that space?

    Ron Hunter, Oct 10, 2003
  8. Picopirate

    Mark M Guest

    > > Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    > > for $179!
    > > These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I

    type
    > > this...
    > >

    > You need more than 240 GB (the two plus whatever you have in the
    > laptop)? What do you DO with that space?

    You'd be surprised what 35,000 Canon 10D/D30 RAW images can fill after
    they've been processed into full depth tif files...and...slide scans of
    50-100MB PER IMAGE add up to...

    Mark M, Oct 10, 2003
  9. Picopirate

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    >>>Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    >>>for $179!
    >>>These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I

    > type
    >
    >>>this...
    >>>

    >>You need more than 240 GB (the two plus whatever you have in the
    >>laptop)? What do you DO with that space?

    > You'd be surprised what 35,000 Canon 10D/D30 RAW images can fill after
    > they've been processed into full depth tif files...and...slide scans of
    > 50-100MB PER IMAGE add up to...

    Haven't you ever heard of compression, or the delete key, for that
    matter? Of course, you could just keep buying more storage, I guess.
    Imagine how much space those pictures would be taking up on even 35 mm film!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 10, 2003
  10. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >> You'd be surprised what 35,000 Canon 10D/D30 RAW images can fill after
    >> they've been processed into full depth tif files...and...slide scans of
    >> 50-100MB PER IMAGE add up to...

    >Haven't you ever heard of compression, or the delete key, for that
    >matter? Of course, you could just keep buying more storage, I guess.
    >Imagine how much space those pictures would be taking up on even 35 mm film!

    Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    degrading them that way?

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 11, 2003
  11. Picopirate

    Mark M Guest

    > >>You need more than 240 GB (the two plus whatever you have in the
    > >>laptop)? What do you DO with that space?

    > > You'd be surprised what 35,000 Canon 10D/D30 RAW images can fill after
    > > they've been processed into full depth tif files...and...slide scans of
    > > 50-100MB PER IMAGE add up to...
    > >

    > Haven't you ever heard of compression, or the delete key, for that
    > matter? Of course, you could just keep buying more storage, I guess.

    When I can store photos as cheaply as I can today, I see little reason to
    delete many files. I certainly delete obvious goofs, or shots that clearly
    hold zero potential on first glance...but you might be surprised at the
    number of times I've gone back to image folders I've long since assumed to
    be useless, only to discover some real gems that were at first dismissed in
    my haste or temporary disinterest.

    Mark M, Oct 11, 2003
  12. Picopirate

    C J D Guest

    Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    > Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    > costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    > of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    > the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    > compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    > degrading them that way?

    He means file compression, like .zip, not image compression.

    Colin D.

    C J D, Oct 11, 2003
  13. Picopirate

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    >>>You'd be surprised what 35,000 Canon 10D/D30 RAW images can fill after
    >>>they've been processed into full depth tif files...and...slide scans of
    >>>50-100MB PER IMAGE add up to...

    >>Haven't you ever heard of compression, or the delete key, for that
    >>matter? Of course, you could just keep buying more storage, I guess.
    >>Imagine how much space those pictures would be taking up on even 35 mm film!

    > Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    > costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    > of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    > the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    > compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    > degrading them that way?

    Compression using LZW with Huffman coding does not in any way degrade an
    image, it just saves a LOT of storage space. If the pictures are stored
    in uncompressed .TIFF format, the savings can be up to 90%, depending on
    the subject matter.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 11, 2003
  14. Picopirate

    Tesselator Guest

    "Picopirate" <> wrote in message news:3f84ca0b$...

    > "Tesselator" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I personally would never consider hooking up an HD to a firewire
    > > or USB2 unless it was a laptop or something. Kid-stuff.
    > >

    > Why not? Actually I find them more valuable for people who DONT have
    > laptops. Its the ultimate in portable storage. Keep all your files on your
    > USB2 HD and you can easily have access to them on you home computer, your
    > work/school computer, your friends computer, etc. Many of my coworkers have
    > USB2 HDs and keep their music, photos, etc on them so they can listen to
    > their music at home or work w/o having to carry around all their CDs. They
    > also back up their work on the HD so they have access to their files at home
    > w/o having to VPN into the office network.

    Oh. :-/

    Yeah that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about protability, just proformance.

    You're right I think tho... If you wanna tote stuff here and there a Jazz
    drive or FireWire/USB HDD would probably be the way to go.

    Tesselator, Oct 11, 2003
  15. Picopirate

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > "Alan Browne" <"Alan Browne"@videotron.canospam> wrote in message

    >>>Costco has an external 120GB Firewire/USB2 HD right now (Maxtor 7200RPM)
    >>>for $179!
    >>>These are great drives. I have two of them connected to my laptop as I

    > type
    >
    >>>this...

    >>Ah, yes, I thought there was something about the way your e-mail looked,
    >>that explains it.

    > Huh???

    ....a bit of humour

    Alan Browne, Oct 11, 2003
  16. Picopirate

    Mark M Guest

    > > type

    > >>Ah, yes, I thought there was something about the way your e-mail looked,
    > >>that explains it.

    > > Huh???

    > ...a bit of humour

    Ah... I just had a vision of two hard-drives hanging off of a hand-held
    laptop...

    Mark M, Oct 11, 2003
  17. Picopirate

    Deathwalker Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    7200RPM)

    > >>Haven't you ever heard of compression, or the delete key, for that
    > >>matter? Of course, you could just keep buying more storage, I guess.
    > >>Imagine how much space those pictures would be taking up on even 35 mm

    film!

    > > Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    > > costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    > > of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    > > the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    > > compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    > > degrading them that way?
    > >

    > Compression using LZW with Huffman coding does not in any way degrade an
    > image, it just saves a LOT of storage space. If the pictures are stored
    > in uncompressed .TIFF format, the savings can be up to 90%, depending on
    > the subject matter.

    I've never acheived more than 50% compression using tiff compression in
    photoshop.

    Deathwalker, Oct 11, 2003
  18. Picopirate

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Deathwalker wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jason O'Rourke wrote:

    > 7200RPM)

    > film!
    >

    >>>Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    >>>costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    >>>of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    >>>the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    >>>compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    >>>degrading them that way?
    >>>

    >>Compression using LZW with Huffman coding does not in any way degrade an
    >>image, it just saves a LOT of storage space. If the pictures are stored
    >>in uncompressed .TIFF format, the savings can be up to 90%, depending on
    >>the subject matter.

    > I've never acheived more than 50% compression using tiff compression in
    > photoshop.

    A lot depends on just what the subject matter is. Lots of sky, pretty
    good compression, lots of grass/trees, almost none. That's why JPEG
    came along.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 12, 2003
  19. C J D <> wrote:
    >> Ron, maybe his time is worth more than your's? He found a solution that
    >> costs less than $400. So long as he has a organization that keeps track
    >> of all the images, it's likely to be much more cost effective to keep
    >> the stuff. You could spent weeks deciding what should go or stay. And
    >> compression -- why would someone who amassed 35k images think about
    >> degrading them that way?

    >He means file compression, like .zip, not image compression.

    image files do not compress well. And while compressed tiffs are a bit
    smaller (and we don't know that his weren't in that form), it's not
    a big savings - less than 50%. Still not worth any extra effort.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 12, 2003