Re: USB2 faster than Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Leuck, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message
    > Barry Twycross <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> And not becuase the PC industry inevitably picks the crappy product
    > >> because it's a few cents cheaper?

    > > Its more than a few cents, its 25 cents.
    > >
    > > FireWire costs 25c a system to licence, USB is a flat fee of $1500
    > > (possibly for ever) or maybe $2600 a year.

    > Who collects the 25c royalty? I thought Firewire had become a standard,
    > IEEE 1394, which appears to be available on Linux (www.linux1394.org)
    > for free or perhaps with copyleft, I dunno.
    >
    > Why can't the PC vendors reimplement it as did the Linux community?

    It's because of the license fee that more motherboards/devices use USB over
    Firewire
    Mark Leuck, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Mark Leuck

    z Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:14:36 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message

    >> > Its more than a few cents, its 25 cents.
    >> >
    >> > FireWire costs 25c a system to licence, USB is a flat fee of $1500
    >> > (possibly for ever) or maybe $2600 a year.

    >> Who collects the 25c royalty? I thought Firewire had become a standard,
    >> IEEE 1394, which appears to be available on Linux (www.linux1394.org)
    >> for free or perhaps with copyleft, I dunno.
    >>
    >> Why can't the PC vendors reimplement it as did the Linux community?

    >It's because of the license fee that more motherboards/devices use USB over
    >Firewire

    I believe that USB is faster going between multiple devices,
    but Firewire is faster for a streaming application with no bus
    contention.
    But for the answer to what is on the motherboard, see above
    z, Jun 30, 2003

  3. In article <>, <>
    wrote:

    > I believe that USB is faster going between multiple devices,

    That sounds unlikely. A USB device can only talk to the host. If you
    want to get data from one device to another the host has to read it
    from one and write it to the other, the data has to be transferred
    twice. FireWire can transfer data from any device on the bus to any
    other device with only one transfer.

    Or did you mean something else?

    --
    Barry