Re: USB/W98 confusion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dslr, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. dslr

    dslr Guest

    wrote:

    > In an earlier post someone suggested I upgrade from W98 to W98 SE which
    > supports USB so I could use a memory card reader.
    >
    > W98 does support USB. I have a scanner plugged into one USB port and it
    > works fine. This is with W98.

    That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
    Win95 OSR2.

    --
    regards,
    dslr
    dslr, Aug 14, 2003

  2. dslr

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many devices
    require 98SE

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 15, 2003

  3. dslr

    jmp Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:04:24 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:

    > Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many devices
    > require 98SE
    >
    > Tom
    > "dslr" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In an earlier post someone suggested I upgrade from W98 to W98 SE which
    >>> supports USB so I could use a memory card reader.
    >>>
    >>> W98 does support USB. I have a scanner plugged into one USB port and it
    >>> works fine. This is with W98.

    >> That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
    >> Win95 OSR2.
    >>
    >> --
    >> regards,
    >> dslr

    I can't agree with this: I've Windows 98 and USB1 works very smoothly. But
    I'm told it doesn't handle USB2. I was tempted to upgrade to W98SE but my
    setup works nicely and I don't want to risk it.
    Jean.
    jmp, Aug 15, 2003
  4. dslr

    Paul B Guest

    I have to agree with the last poster. I have worked with probably a hundred
    or more different USB devices on my Win 98 without problem. Perhaps the
    confusion is with Firewire which is not supported under Win98 but is
    supported in Win 98SE

    Paul B, Aug 15, 2003
  5. dslr

    David Cohen Guest

    Winxp is better than previous systems in recognizing usb devices. You
    don't have to mess with loading a driver in many cases.
    Dave Cohen

    David Cohen, Aug 15, 2003
  6. My 5-year-old computer has Win98B, which supports USB well. With my new
    computer, which has 98SE, I've had a heck of a time with USB. An Asus
    motherboard and 98SE don't get on, as my experience and also Microsoft's
    knowledge base have shown. The CD that came with the new Asus motherboard
    allows loading the USB 2.2 driver only if the computer has XP, and Microsoft
    isn't giving any support, i.e. USB drivers, for 98 and 98SE. My solution
    was to get a USB card, adding 4 more ports, and the accompanying CD gave
    me the necessary driver. The long way around.
    Marcia Beinhauer, Aug 17, 2003
  7. dslr

    Abrasha Guest

    Marcia Beinhauer wrote:

    > My 5-year-old computer has Win98B, which supports USB well. With my new
    > computer, which has 98SE, I've had a heck of a time with USB. An Asus
    > motherboard and 98SE don't get on, as my experience and also Microsoft's
    > knowledge base have shown. The CD that came with the new Asus motherboard
    > allows loading the USB 2.2 driver only if the computer has XP, and Microsoft
    > isn't giving any support, i.e. USB drivers, for 98 and 98SE. My solution
    > was to get a USB card, adding 4 more ports, and the accompanying CD gave
    > me the necessary driver. The long way around.

    That's strange. I have an Asus P4T-E motherboard on my computer, and AI run 98
    SE. I have no problem at all with USB transfers from my cameras (Canon S400) to
    my computer.

    98SE does have support for USB, but not USB 2.
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 17, 2003