Re: Usb Speed Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GHalleck, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. GHalleck

    GHalleck Guest

    Linechaser wrote:

    > My motherboard supports usb 2.0. But when I plug my external
    > harddrive into it. It shows A Hi Speed device plugged into a non hi
    > speed port. I have the news drivers. Any help would be great.

    What OS and service pack version (or revision number)?

    GHalleck, Aug 16, 2003

  2. GHalleck

    Linechaser Guest

    >Linechaser wrote:
    >
    >> My motherboard supports usb 2.0. But when I plug my external
    >> harddrive into it. It shows A Hi Speed device plugged into a non hi
    >> speed port. I have the news drivers. Any help would be great.

    >What OS and service pack version (or revision number)?

    My motherboard is a ECS P4VMM2, with via chipsets it supports 6 built
    in USB2.0.

    My OS is XP pro with sp1. My external harddrive is 2.0.
    Running way too slow

    Linechaser, Aug 16, 2003

  3. GHalleck

    y_p_w Guest

    Linechaser <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >Linechaser wrote:
    > >
    > >> My motherboard supports usb 2.0. But when I plug my external
    > >> harddrive into it. It shows A Hi Speed device plugged into a non hi
    > >> speed port. I have the news drivers. Any help would be great.

    > >What OS and service pack version (or revision number)?

    > My motherboard is a ECS P4VMM2, with via chipsets it supports 6 built
    > in USB2.0.
    >
    > My OS is XP pro with sp1. My external harddrive is 2.0.
    > Running way too slow

    Are you sure the your motherboard is USB 2.0 "Hi-Speed" (emphasis
    on "Hi-Speed") - i.e. 480 Mb/sec raw trasfer rate. A device/host
    might call itself "USB 2.0" but only meet the "Full-Speed" (12
    Mb/sec) raw data transfer rate. A lot of manufacturers are
    selling their products as "USB 2.0 full-speed" knowing full well
    that there will be consumer confusion.

    The following is from the USB Implementers Forum:
    http://www.usb.org/info/usb_nomenclature

    --quote--
    The source of confusion derives from the fact that USB specification
    revision numbers and data-transfer rates are often being used in place
    of the logo on consumer packaging, a purpose for which they were not
    originally intended. The USB-IF's recommended nomenclature for
    consumers is "USB" for slower speed products (1.5 Mb/s and 12Mb/s) and
    "Hi-Speed USB" for high-speed products (480Mb/s), as signified in the
    USB logos that were introduced in late 2000. In short, consumers
    wishing to be certain they are getting the performance they paid for
    in their USB products can use the logo for clarification.
    --end quote--

    y_p_w, Aug 19, 2003