Re: USB - 'safely remove hardware' - device in use

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Roger Mills, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

    > I recently bought a few USB devices and they have no power off.on
    > switches. SO, in XP I click systray icon and select "Safely remove
    > hardware". About 25% of the time it comes back with "device in use".
    > Not by me it isn't. I haven't used it at all this session
    > I checked and device mgr - policies shows
    > 'Optimize for quick removal ' - so caching not enabled.
    >
    > I did just check my P drive (External USB drive) and it does have "
    > Allow Indexing Service ..." checked. Might that be it ? For my
    > memory sticks I don't have that turned on and get the message with
    > those too. I tried Google and spent a lot of time looking at pages
    > that didn't relate to my problem. Anyone else have this intermittent
    > " device in use" message. Resolution ? Especially for a device that
    > has no problem off switch ?

    If it's a storage device, it will probably be reported as 'in use' if you
    have Windows Explorer (or a third-party equivalent such as PowerDesk) or 'My
    Computer' open. Close all such applications and try again. You may not
    actively have *used* it - but its presence will have been logged by Explorer
    nevertheless. You don't have to be actually reading from it or writing to it
    for it to be reported as in use.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Aug 8, 2008

  2. Roger Mills

    olfart Guest

    "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought a few USB devices and they have no power off.on
    >> switches. SO, in XP I click systray icon and select "Safely remove
    >> hardware". About 25% of the time it comes back with "device in use".
    >> Not by me it isn't. I haven't used it at all this session
    >> I checked and device mgr - policies shows
    >> 'Optimize for quick removal ' - so caching not enabled.
    >>
    >> I did just check my P drive (External USB drive) and it does have "
    >> Allow Indexing Service ..." checked. Might that be it ? For my
    >> memory sticks I don't have that turned on and get the message with
    >> those too. I tried Google and spent a lot of time looking at pages
    >> that didn't relate to my problem. Anyone else have this intermittent
    >> " device in use" message. Resolution ? Especially for a device that
    >> has no problem off switch ?

    > If it's a storage device, it will probably be reported as 'in use' if you
    > have Windows Explorer (or a third-party equivalent such as PowerDesk) or
    > 'My Computer' open. Close all such applications and try again. You may not
    > actively have *used* it - but its presence will have been logged by
    > Explorer nevertheless. You don't have to be actually reading from it or
    > writing to it for it to be reported as in use.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Roger
    > ______
    > Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
    > monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
    > PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

    I've got the warning disabled...but don't remeber how I did it. When the
    activity light on the device stops flashing it's OK to disconnect it
    olfart, Aug 8, 2008

  3. Roger Mills

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123> typed:
    > I have watched for that and although I may have opened My Computer
    > once or twice, it might have been 30 minutes earlier. The message
    > DOES say wait and try again - never works. Once I get that message -
    > I can never 'safely remove' it. I always log off and on. Not a big
    > deal to do so - just irritating - and wanted to make sure it wasn't
    > 'just me'. Thanks

    I have seen some hard drive utilities cause this. Also MS Word and I bet
    other applications does this too. That is if you opened a file off of the
    drive, but later closed the file, the OS still thinks that the application
    is still using that drive. Closing the application in question will release
    it.

    I too used to just pull the plug on a drive once the light stopped flashing.
    It worked well until one time and Windows popped up a message that you
    couldn't perform a write to the drive and the information was lost. The
    drive turned out to be okay and there was some corrupted file that appeared
    and some sort of temporary file that I didn't need anyway. But it scared me
    enough that I stopped just pulling the plug out nowadays.

    Next time it happens, just close applications one at a time. If that doesn't
    work, try closing things in the system tray (never terminate things in this
    case, as the drive will never be released until you logoff). I think you
    will find the one causing most if not all of the problems. And good luck!

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Aug 9, 2008
  4. Roger Mills

    Guest

    On 8 Aug, 23:24, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message

    > > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > > - Bobb - <b...@noemail.123>  wrote:

    > >> I recently bought a few USB devices and they have no power off.on
    > >> switches. SO, in XP I click systray icon and select "Safely remove
    > >> hardware". About 25% of the time it comes back with "device in use".
    > >> Not by me it isn't.  I haven't used it at all this session
    > >> I checked and device mgr - policies shows
    > >> 'Optimize for quick removal ' - so caching not enabled.

    > >> I did just check my P drive (External USB drive) and it does have "
    > >> Allow Indexing Service  ..." checked. Might that be it ? For my
    > >> memory sticks I don't have that turned on and get the message with
    > >> those too.  I tried Google and spent a lot of time looking at pages
    > >> that didn't relate to my problem. Anyone else have this intermittent
    > >> " device in use" message. Resolution ? Especially for a device that
    > >> has no problem off switch ?

    > > If it's a storage device, it will probably be reported as 'in use' if
    > > you have Windows Explorer (or a third-party equivalent such as
    > > PowerDesk) or 'My Computer' open. Close all such applications and try
    > > again. You may not actively have *used* it - but its presence will have
    > > been logged by Explorer nevertheless. You don't have to be actually
    > > reading from it or writing to it for it to be reported as in use.
    > > --
    > > Cheers,
    > > Roger

    > I have watched for that and although I may have opened My Computer once or
    > twice, it might have been 30 minutes earlier. The message DOES say wait
    > and try again - never works. Once I get that message - I can never 'safely
    > remove' it. I always log off and on.  Not a big deal to do so - just
    > irritating - and wanted to make sure it wasn't 'just me'.
    > Thanks

    It doesn't matter how long ago; it's sufficient for an application to
    still have a folder on the removable drive open. You need to exit
    everything you used to access the drive, or at least point them
    elsewhere, e.g. move Windows Explorer to a folder another drive, cd
    likewise at an MSDOS prompt, close the file(s) on multi-file
    applications like Word and Excel, or open a file elsewhere if it's
    another application like IrfanView (which is the usual culprit in my
    case viewing camera cards).

    Chris
    , Aug 9, 2008