Re: USB - 'safely remove hardware' - device in use

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    >I recently bought a few USB devices and they have no power off.on switches.
    >SO, in XP I click systray icon and select "Safely remove hardware". About
    >25% of the time it comes back with "device in use". Not by me it isn't. I
    >haven't used it at all this session
    > I checked and device mgr - policies shows
    > 'Optimize for quick removal ' - so caching not enabled.
    >
    > I did just check my P drive (External USB drive) and it does have " Allow
    > Indexing Service ..." checked. Might that be it ? For my memory sticks I
    > don't have that turned on and get the message with those too. I tried
    > Google and spent a lot of time looking at pages that didn't relate to my
    > problem. Anyone else have this intermittent " device in use" message.
    > Resolution ? Especially for a device that has no problem off switch ?

    Happens here too. I just ignore the message and unplug the device anyway.
    Haven't lost any data yet.
    R.
    Ragnar, Aug 8, 2008

  2. Ragnar

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 20:18:24 +0100, "Ragnar" <>
    wrote:

    >"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>I recently bought a few USB devices and they have no power off.on switches.
    >>SO, in XP I click systray icon and select "Safely remove hardware". About
    >>25% of the time it comes back with "device in use". Not by me it isn't. I
    >>haven't used it at all this session
    >> I checked and device mgr - policies shows
    >> 'Optimize for quick removal ' - so caching not enabled.
    >>
    >> I did just check my P drive (External USB drive) and it does have " Allow
    >> Indexing Service ..." checked. Might that be it ? For my memory sticks I
    >> don't have that turned on and get the message with those too. I tried
    >> Google and spent a lot of time looking at pages that didn't relate to my
    >> problem. Anyone else have this intermittent " device in use" message.
    >> Resolution ? Especially for a device that has no problem off switch ?
    >>

    >Happens here too. I just ignore the message and unplug the device anyway.
    >Haven't lost any data yet.

    The emphasis being on yet.

    --
    Kind regards,