Re: usb / ps2 keyboard

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sandy58, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 8, 11:42 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
    > Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
    > blew it out.
    > It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
    > USB.
    >
    > I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
    > I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
    > USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'.
    > Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
    > type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
    > either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
    > fine.
    >
    > So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it. ?
    > If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
    > Not a big problem  - I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
    > work.  That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
    > PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

    Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.
    sandy58, Aug 9, 2008

  2. sandy58

    Guest

    On Aug 9, 2:06 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 11:42 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    >

    > > Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
    > > Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
    > > blew it out.
    > > It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
    > > USB.

    > > I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
    > > I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
    > > USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'.
    > > Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
    > > type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
    > > either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
    > > fine.

    > > So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it. ?
    > > If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
    > > Not a big problem  - I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
    > > work.  That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
    > > PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

    > Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.-

    usb legacy setting enabled or something. But he is talking about it
    working in the BIOS and not in windows XP. So it's something else.

    I have seen a computer where Windows was corrupted and wouldn't see
    USB keyboards. I could have tried a windows xp repair, but there was
    space, and it was for somebody else(so worst case scenario, I could
    say well leave it for today, if you want to leave it, it's as it was).
    So I Installed windows on another partition, and that windows
    installation did see it.

    Malware had got at their windows installation.. attacked a few things.
    Even installing programs was a problem because installshield was
    damaged(got errors related to that). But another effect was on USB
    keyboards.

    Are you saying that a USB keyboard with usb-ps2 adaptor had the same
    symptoms as the USB keyboard in the USB socket?

    From what you said, it seems like the USB-PS2 adaptor (which takes a
    USB keyboard) DID work. Hence you got around the BIOS.

    It must be some fault with windows about usb keyboards. rather than
    the usb socket itself. Maybe a USB mouse is also affected.

    There are differences between USB keyboards and Ps2 keyboards..
    besides connector.
    One I noticed is that plugging a USB keyboard in, I don't think the
    (numlock,scroll lock, break) lights flash. But a Ps2 keyboard they
    do.. Adaptors don't change this. It's inherent in the keyboard.
    Apparently there are some USB keyboards that don't support ps2 (i.e.
    don't work with adaptors) but it looks like yours did. I have never
    encountered a USB keyboard that didn't work with an adaptor. It
    could be that with those, they work in the BIOS but not windows. But
    I doubt it.
    , Aug 12, 2008

  3. sandy58

    Guest

    On Aug 12, 3:32 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 2:06 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 8, 11:42 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:

    > > > Asus mb and for years used PS/2 keyboard.
    > > > Well, it was getting grimy so I took it apart for annual (?) cleaning and
    > > > blew it out.
    > > > It's drying overnight to be safe and I grabbed another keyboard - it was
    > > > USB.

    > > > I powered up and hit DEL to enter setup.
    > > > I can move around fine in setup using that kb ( plugged into one of my 4
    > > > USB ports in back of machine), but saw no setting for 'Keyboard type'..
    > > > Since it was working, I figured - "it's working" and booted XP. Can't
    > > > type. I shutdown and then tried a usb-ps2 adapter, but it didn't work
    > > > either at login. Got another keyboard - this time a PS2 and it's working
    > > > fine.

    > > > So - How can I use USB to get around BIOS fine ,yet XP doesn't see it.. ?
    > > > If I have ps2 connector for kb - that's all I can use ?
    > > > Not a big problem  - I was just surprised that USB/PS2 adapter didn't
    > > > work.  That adapter came with a Compaq PC I had (they shipped USB kb and
    > > > PC had PS2 connection and worked fine there.

    > > Same here. I had to go into bios & enable some usb setting.-

    > usb legacy setting enabled or something. But he is talking about it
    > working in the BIOS and not in windows XP. So it's something else.
    >
    > I have seen a computer where Windows was corrupted and wouldn't see
    > USB keyboards.  I could have tried a windows xp repair, but there was
    > space, and it was for somebody else(so worst case scenario, I could
    > say well leave it for today, if you want to leave it, it's as it was).
    > So I Installed windows on another partition, and that windows
    > installation did see it.
    >
    > Malware had got at their windows installation.. attacked a few things.
    > Even installing programs was a problem because installshield was
    > damaged(got errors related to that). But another effect was on USB
    > keyboards.
    >
    > Are you saying that a USB keyboard with usb-ps2 adaptor had the same
    > symptoms as the USB keyboard in the USB socket?
    >
    > From what you said, it seems like the USB-PS2 adaptor (which takes a
    > USB keyboard)  DID work. Hence you got around the BIOS.
    >
    > It must be some fault with windows about usb keyboards. rather than
    > the usb socket itself.  Maybe a USB mouse is also affected.
    >
    > There are differences between USB keyboards and Ps2 keyboards..
    > besides connector.
    > One I noticed is that plugging a USB keyboard in, I don't think the
    > (numlock,scroll lock, break) lights flash.  But a Ps2 keyboard they
    > do..  Adaptors don't change this. It's inherent in the keyboard.
    > Apparently there are some USB keyboards that don't support ps2 (i.e.
    > don't work with adaptors) but it looks like yours did.   I have never
    > encountered a USB keyboard that didn't work with an adaptor.   It
    > could be that with those, they work in the BIOS but not windows.  But
    > I doubt it.-

    2 more things sprung to mind..

    Old computers had USB issues.

    You didn't do much troubleshooting though, e.g. even trying the USB
    keyboard in another machine to see if it was a keyboard issue.. And a
    good newer USB keyboard in that machine. Maybe old USB keyboards had
    issues too..

    for the sake of "completeness", i'll add that one time I had a
    particular type of usb-ps2 , or, 2*ps2 to usb adaptor with 2*PS2
    sockets and 1*USB. It took a ps2 keyboard and mouse and plugged them
    into a USB socket. It was a big beast.
    http://www.vpi.us/images/gray-usb-ps2.jpg
    That one I think actually only started working in windows, and even
    then in windows 98 it needed a special driver to be installed. In Win
    XP I think win xp had the driver there already. Human Interface Device
    or something.
    Note- there are ps2 Y splitters 1-ps2 to 2-ps2, for certain laptops
    that support it. So a ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard can go into one ps2
    socket on the laptop.
    , Aug 12, 2008