Re: USB problem with Iwill KK266Plus motherboard

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Geoff, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    John Dearing wrote:
    > allan angus wrote:
    >> also you could check the cmos setp there may be something there
    >>> there may be a jumper on the motherboard that needs changed i had
    >>> this problem with a few computers check your motherboards manual if
    >>> u haveit

    > I have the manual and have looked the motherboard over very carefully.
    > The only place to enable/disable the USB ports is in the CMOS setup.
    >
    > USB0 is the port on the back of the motherboard (next to the keyboard
    > and PS/2 mouse ports.
    >
    > USB1 is the internal "header" connector.
    >
    > USB0 works fine, USB1 doesn't.
    >
    > Anyone aware of any USB diagnostic hardware and/or software
    > (reasonably priced).
    >
    > John

    unless you have some dodgy usb headers, which is unlikley
    the headers are normaly

    +5v
    -Data
    +Data
    Ground

    and thats it, suppose you could cheat and bit and wire the +5v to a molex,
    just make sure it's +5v, and not 12v, this post is off the top of my head...

    Geoff, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Geoff

    John Dearing Guest

    --
    John Dearing
    A+, Network+

    John Dearing, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Geoff

    allan angus Guest

    allan angus, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Geoff

    John Dearing Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > John Dearing wrote:
    >
    >>allan angus wrote:
    >>
    >>>also you could check the cmos setp there may be something there

    >>I have the manual and have looked the motherboard over very carefully.
    >>The only place to enable/disable the USB ports is in the CMOS setup.
    >>
    >>USB0 is the port on the back of the motherboard (next to the keyboard
    >>and PS/2 mouse ports.
    >>
    >>USB1 is the internal "header" connector.
    >>
    >>USB0 works fine, USB1 doesn't.
    >>
    >>Anyone aware of any USB diagnostic hardware and/or software
    >>(reasonably priced).
    >>
    >>John

    > unless you have some dodgy usb headers, which is unlikley
    > the headers are normaly
    >
    > +5v
    > -Data
    > +Data
    > Ground
    >
    > and thats it, suppose you could cheat and bit and wire the +5v to a molex,
    > just make sure it's +5v, and not 12v, this post is off the top of my head...

    The USB headers are standard, just like you quote above.

    I *have* thought about what you suggested.

    I suppose a powered USB hub would work as well too........
    I was just trying to get the front panel USB ports working, they're much
    more convenient than reaching around the back.....

    John

    John Dearing, Aug 4, 2003