Re: USB hub causing problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008.

  1. Sue wrote:

    > I've never given much thought to a USB hub (other then USB2, powered,
    > number of ports), but now I am having an interesting problem on my Mac:

    Guys, it's a MAC here. Just in case ...

    > I just tried a Belkin F5U021 powered USB2 hub and I thought my problems
    > were solved until I tried to put the computer to sleep. When the hub is
    > plugged in the computer pops out of sleep 1 second after going into it.

    One of the devices plugged into the hub, most probably, wants to send
    something to the 'puter. The 'puter is configured (by whatever tool)
    to "wake on USB" or wake on the interrupt caused by the USB controller.
    Even a movement of your wacom pencil or the "mouse" may do, some other
    connected active device even moreso.

    > Any thoughts on this? What type of hub should I be looking for? Chipset?

    First, unplug all the devices or unplug the hub (it is sufficient to pull
    the hub-side of the usb cable) before setting your Mac to sleep.
    But then, make damned sure every usbdrive is unmounted before you do.
    Then, retry with the most unsuspicious device(s) plugged in. Put more
    devices back on the hub until the wakeup reoccurs, and you have the guilty
    one.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008

  2. Sue wrote:

    > Thanks for comments. I have the sleep problem with just the F5U021 hub
    > plugged in (no devices).

    That's indeed interesting. I am not knowledgeable with Mac's, just linux
    here - but there may be something in the syslogfiles, perhaps a entry about
    the wakeup received, every (other) second.
    In theory, a usb bus should be able to handle many devices concurrently
    active, but we know ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008

  3. In message <>, wisdomkiller & pain
    wrote:
    > Sue wrote:

    > > Thanks for comments. I have the sleep problem with just the F5U021 hub
    > > plugged in (no devices).

    > That's indeed interesting. I am not knowledgeable with Mac's, just linux
    > here - but there may be something in the syslogfiles, perhaps a entry about
    > the wakeup received, every (other) second.
    > In theory, a usb bus should be able to handle many devices concurrently
    > active, but we know ...

    If its a powered hub it might be polling the bus and waking it.
    IOW, you cant use that device and get yer macintosh to sleep.

    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 29, 2008