Re: USB HDD enclosure with USB hub?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have experience with a USB HDD enclosure with an integrated
    > USB hub? I can find some on Google but none available in NZ (that I can
    > find) and it would be an added bonus to hear a first-hand account of such
    > a beast.
    >
    > I'm going to start using a laptop for my 24/7 computing needs to reduce
    > electricity consumption and only fire up my main machine when I need
    > something with grunt (rarely).
    >
    > However, the laptop I've paid for (but not yet received, Trademe,) only
    > has two USB 2 ports. I'm going to need an external HDD for media files
    > etc. and my mouse is also USB. (I don't think I'll use integrated pointing
    > devices, I'll be using it at my desk anyway...) An enclosure with a USB
    > hub would save me purchasing both seperately.
    >
    > The other option is a docking station I suppose. Does anyone have, or know
    > where I can get a docking station for an R51 ThinkPad at a reasonable
    > cost?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Jaycar's "NAS Device with Built-in BitTorrent Client" XC4677 has a 'print
    server' which is in reality a USB Host.
    I have one of these and it can sit on a LAN as a NAS device or connect as a
    USB External drive.
    My one sits on my LAN as a backup storage device and I've just been down and
    plugged a USB memory stick into the 'print Server' port.
    The USB memory stick showed up as'p1_b_1'. The files on the USB memory stick
    were readable, openable etc.
    In fact I would think you could add 'any' other USB storage device eg Camera
    etc.
    By connecting it to a LAN Switch as a NAS device you get your external
    drive, a free USB port, and an extra USB host to boot.

    Note you have to supply your own hard drive.

    I also installed one of these at a clients office as a NAS but found it
    unreliable & changed over to using it as a USB external drive in which
    configuration it has worked flawlessly.
    I do suspect the power at that site though as they had to put all their PC's
    onto UPS's.
    Mine has been sitting on my LAN for months now and allways seems to be
    there.
    (except when I unplug it cause I need the socket !!!!)

    Details here.
    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

    The Linksys NAS200 (PB Tech) has two USB hosts should you be interested in
    more.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Nov 7, 2008

  2. PeeCee

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "PeeCee" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have experience with a USB HDD enclosure with an
    >> integrated USB hub? I can find some on Google but none available in
    >> NZ (that I can find) and it would be an added bonus to hear a
    >> first-hand account of such a beast.
    >>
    >> I'm going to start using a laptop for my 24/7 computing needs to
    >> reduce electricity consumption and only fire up my main machine when
    >> I need something with grunt (rarely).
    >>
    >> However, the laptop I've paid for (but not yet received, Trademe,)
    >> only has two USB 2 ports. I'm going to need an external HDD for
    >> media files etc. and my mouse is also USB. (I don't think I'll use
    >> integrated pointing devices, I'll be using it at my desk anyway...)
    >> An enclosure with a USB hub would save me purchasing both seperately.
    >>
    >> The other option is a docking station I suppose. Does anyone have,
    >> or know where I can get a docking station for an R51 ThinkPad at a
    >> reasonable cost?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > Jaycar's "NAS Device with Built-in BitTorrent Client" XC4677 has a
    > 'print server' which is in reality a USB Host.
    > I have one of these and it can sit on a LAN as a NAS device or
    > connect as a USB External drive.
    > My one sits on my LAN as a backup storage device and I've just been
    > down and plugged a USB memory stick into the 'print Server' port.
    > The USB memory stick showed up as'p1_b_1'. The files on the USB
    > memory stick were readable, openable etc.
    > In fact I would think you could add 'any' other USB storage device eg
    > Camera etc.
    > By connecting it to a LAN Switch as a NAS device you get your external
    > drive, a free USB port, and an extra USB host to boot.
    >
    > Note you have to supply your own hard drive.
    >
    > I also installed one of these at a clients office as a NAS but found
    > it unreliable & changed over to using it as a USB external drive in
    > which configuration it has worked flawlessly.
    > I do suspect the power at that site though as they had to put all
    > their PC's onto UPS's.
    > Mine has been sitting on my LAN for months now and allways seems to be
    > there.
    > (except when I unplug it cause I need the socket !!!!)
    >

    > Details here.
    > http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
    >
    > The Linksys NAS200 (PB Tech) has two USB hosts should you be
    > interested in more.

    Thanks for the reply Paul, that's certainly an option I hadn't considered
    and will look into. Having the storage on the LAN would be really handy, I'd
    be able to pull one of the 500GB drives out of my main machine but still
    access it from there easilly (rather than through a shared drive on the
    laptop). Only two things concern me, power consumption (as that's a large
    part of the reason I'm wanting to turn my main machine off for most of the
    time) and cost....

    Regards,
    --
    Shaun.