Re: upsizing a cell phone photo?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stuseven, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. stuseven

    stuseven Guest

    On Jun 24, 1:39 am, "Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:
    >     Help!
    >
    >         The bad part about being even marginally capable with a camera and
    > computer is that my friends think I'm a wizard--which I most certainly am
    > not.
    >
    >     So my buddy sends me a photo from his cell phone of his 95 year old
    > mother and his 1 year old grandson--and wants me to get great prints for
    > him.
    >
    >     I cleaned up the jpg as best I could, but it's still too tiny to get a
    > decent print from.  Does anyone have any experience trying upsizing software
    > on these little bitty jpegs?  I don't expect even a good 5 x 7, but I'd sure
    > love to be able to get him a decent 4 x 6 print.
    >
    >     Any ideas?  Any suggestions?
    >
    >         Thanks
    >
    >                         Chris

    well, I went looking... I usually dont frequent cell phone photo
    galleries...
    however, of what I have seen, there are very few cell phone pictures
    from which a decent print cant be made.

    If you post a link to the picture, youdl likely get more help...
    otherwise,
    possibly, ask at one of the photo enhancement web sites ?
    stuseven, Jun 24, 2008

  2. stuseven

    Ofnuts Guest

    Tony B wrote:

    > Dunno who makes the lens, probably the same people that make lenses for
    > Sony cameras? It's marked up on front 1-5.2mm and 1:2.8 but not knowing
    > the sensor dimensions (after looking a fair bit) I have no clue as to
    > 35mm equivalence.

    In the exif data perhaps: tag A420: equivalent focal lenghth for 35mm,
    and divided by tag 920A (true focal length) should yield the sensor
    dimensions.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 25, 2008

  3. stuseven

    Paul Furman Guest

    Tony B wrote:
    > lid wrote:
    >
    >> How big are the sensors on these gizmos, and what is the 35mm equivalent
    >> focal length of the lens?

    > Sony Ericsson K810i:
    >
    > http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/specifications/k810i
    >
    > 3.2mp sensor, auto focus, image stabilisation, xenon flash, burst mode,
    > macro, various scene modes, a good attempt at camera-like ergonomics for
    > the buttons, removable memory cards (M2 cards, I use a 4gb) what's not
    > to like? Best thing is, the price - at least here in UK, they are
    > available free on contract. who needs a point-and-shoot? There is a 5mp
    > version available now too. Oh, and they are small, discreet, batteries
    > are cheap and hold loads of charge...
    >
    > Dunno who makes the lens, probably the same people that make lenses for
    > Sony cameras? It's marked up on front 1-5.2mm and 1:2.8 but not knowing
    > the sensor dimensions (after looking a fair bit) I have no clue as to
    > 35mm equivalence. It's got x3 optical zoom though, and a radio,
    > bluetooth, blog upload feature, mp3 player....

    1-5.2mm would be 5.2x zoom not 3x
    If we assume the wide end is 28mm eq. then it's a 28-140mm and f/2.8 is
    better than most P&S, in fact much better than any affordable DSLR
    lenses. That should be about a 1.3mm wide sensor which seems too small,
    my web cam's sensor is about 4x5mm.

    > Seriously, these phones are getting good at taking pictures and they
    > will only get better.
    >
    > Just get the cell phone with the best camera on it, for point and shoot
    > why not?

    Yes it makes sense, since we carry them anyways. I use my 1.3MP razr v3c
    (old model) for taking pics & videos.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 25, 2008
  4. stuseven

    John Turco Guest

    Tony B wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > I actually really like phone cameras, they have got lots of people
    > making pictures that would not have made them otherwise. A truly
    > democratic medium - the new Kodak?

    Hello, Tony:

    Personally, I think you should've written, "the new Polaroid" -- if
    only, because of the obvious "instant gratification" similarities. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jun 27, 2008