Re: UPS goes crazy for a few minutes every night at 11pm

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, May 29, 2009.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > I have two UPS's - both APC and both bought brand new. THe first one,
    > a Smart UPS model I've had for quite a while with no issues.
    >
    > The second, I bought just this week seems to have the wierdest quirk.
    >

    > Every night at 11pm it starts flicking between battery and power for
    > about 5 minutes.
    >
    > I have tried it on two different sockets and still get the same
    > issue.
    >
    > Any idea what could cause this?
    >
    > APC have suggested lowering the sensitivity but lowering it from the
    > factory default is not recommended for computer use in the manual?

    Ripple control. My bedside touch light flickers at 11pm every day.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 29, 2009

  2. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> I have two UPS's - both APC and both bought brand new. THe first one,
    >>> a Smart UPS model I've had for quite a while with no issues.
    >>>
    >>> The second, I bought just this week seems to have the wierdest quirk.
    >>>

    >>> Every night at 11pm it starts flicking between battery and power for
    >>> about 5 minutes.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried it on two different sockets and still get the same
    >>> issue.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what could cause this?
    >>>
    >>> APC have suggested lowering the sensitivity but lowering it from the
    >>> factory default is not recommended for computer use in the manual?
    >>>

    >> Ripple control. My bedside touch light flickers at 11pm every day.

    > OK I've read up on the consumer website that ripple control is for certain
    > appliances that are setup to use it. But we have an on-demand water heater
    > and no nightstore heaters or anything. Why would this affect our house and
    > our power sockets? Or is it that it affects all houses hooked up to the
    > electricity company even if only some actually have appliances wired up to
    > take advantage of the ripple control??

    We don't have on demand water heating or nightstore heaters either.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 30, 2009

  3. On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:17:43 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> I have two UPS's - both APC and both bought brand new. THe first one,
    >>> a Smart UPS model I've had for quite a while with no issues.
    >>>
    >>> The second, I bought just this week seems to have the wierdest quirk.
    >>>

    >>> Every night at 11pm it starts flicking between battery and power for
    >>> about 5 minutes.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried it on two different sockets and still get the same
    >>> issue.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what could cause this?
    >>>
    >>> APC have suggested lowering the sensitivity but lowering it from the
    >>> factory default is not recommended for computer use in the manual?
    >>>

    >> Ripple control. My bedside touch light flickers at 11pm every day.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >OK I've read up on the consumer website that ripple control is for certain
    >appliances that are setup to use it. But we have an on-demand water heater
    >and no nightstore heaters or anything. Why would this affect our house and
    >our power sockets? Or is it that it affects all houses hooked up to the
    >electricity company even if only some actually have appliances wired up to
    >take advantage of the ripple control??

    Ripple control is for the hot water heaters and night store circuits.
    It is broadcast over the electricity network to all houses. If you
    are on one of the "controlled" electricity rates, your hot water
    heater is on ripple control and gets these signals to turn off when
    the load on the grid is high and on again when it is low.
    Stephen Worthington, May 30, 2009
  4. On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:04:31 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:17:43 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK I've read up on the consumer website that ripple control is for certain
    >>>appliances that are setup to use it. But we have an on-demand water heater
    >>>and no nightstore heaters or anything. Why would this affect our house and
    >>>our power sockets? Or is it that it affects all houses hooked up to the
    >>>electricity company even if only some actually have appliances wired up to
    >>>take advantage of the ripple control??

    >> Ripple control is for the hot water heaters and night store circuits.
    >> It is broadcast over the electricity network to all houses. If you
    >> are on one of the "controlled" electricity rates, your hot water
    >> heater is on ripple control and gets these signals to turn off when
    >> the load on the grid is high and on again when it is low.

    >ok that probably answers a fair bit then. I'll try to find out from the
    >electricity company what times the ripple control signals are sent out for
    >wellington.

    In winter it will probably vary quite a bit. When the weather is cold
    they will have the hot water off much longer each day.
    Stephen Worthington, May 30, 2009
  5. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote
    > in message news:...
    >> On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:17:43 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK I've read up on the consumer website that ripple control is
    >>> for certain appliances that are setup to use it. But we have an
    >>> on-demand water heater and no nightstore heaters or anything. Why
    >>> would this affect our house and our power sockets? Or is it that
    >>> it affects all houses hooked up to the electricity company even
    >>> if only some actually have appliances wired up to take advantage
    >>> of the ripple control??

    >> Ripple control is for the hot water heaters and night store
    >> circuits. It is broadcast over the electricity network to all
    >> houses. If you are on one of the "controlled" electricity rates,
    >> your hot water heater is on ripple control and gets these signals
    >> to turn off when the load on the grid is high and on again when it
    >> is low.

    > ok that probably answers a fair bit then. I'll try to find out from
    > the electricity company what times the ripple control signals are
    > sent out for wellington.

    11pm!!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 30, 2009
  6. On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:04:31 +1200, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:
    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >>
    >> Ripple control is for the hot water heaters and night store circuits.
    >> It is broadcast over the electricity network to all houses. If you
    >> are on one of the "controlled" electricity rates, your hot water
    >> heater is on ripple control and gets these signals to turn off when
    >> the load on the grid is high and on again when it is low.

    >ok that probably answers a fair bit then. I'll try to find out from the
    >electricity company what times the ripple control signals are sent out for
    >wellington.

    Wellington also still uses an older system that switches the required
    control box by adding a dc component to the mains. That seems to do
    its switching at 11pm, evidenced here by several transformers making
    low freq buzzing noises for a second or two, at the same time as the
    control box on the fuse board clicks and changes state.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, May 30, 2009
  7. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    ofn01 wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> ofn01 wrote:
    >>> ok that probably answers a fair bit then. I'll try to find out from the
    >>> electricity company what times the ripple control signals are sent out
    >>> for wellington.
    >>>

    >> 11pm!!
    >>

    > There must be another one in the morning though?

    Yes, I hear it at 7am. It may also happen at other times.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 31, 2009