Re: upgrading

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom MacIntyre, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:03:24 GMT, "jason" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello, i have a question on upgrading,
    >
    >I am currently running a VERY old system:
    >stock compaq motherboard
    >amd slot A 650 cpu
    >328 megs of ram
    >voodoo 3 video card
    >2 harddrives one 17gig, the other 20 gig
    >4 operating systems: win 98SE, fedora core1, mandrake 10, slackware10
    >
    >for christmas i am getting:
    >asus a7v880 delux mobo
    >2800+ sempron
    >some ram, dont know the amount
    >and a new 64 meg video card
    >
    >my question is, if i build the above system and use the 2 harddrives from
    >this computer, with those operating systems, will they run, especially the
    >win98SE, what will it do with all that new hardware, ive always been pretty
    >good with comps, but dont quite know what will happen to the os in such an
    >extreme upgrade,
    >
    >Thanks for any input:
    >Jason

    There will likely be some confusion on the part of the OS's with
    regards to the new hardware, with the results being anywhere from
    works fine when the OS is reinstalled over the original to won't work
    at all.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Tom MacIntyre

    [JK] Chewwy Guest

    You may need to ,(before you go into the upgrade), get into the win98
    registry and take out the key related to drivers, then change the harddrive
    to the new system and turn back on win 98 will then go into the "found new
    hardware" phase.
    From there you may install the new motherboard drivers.
    Go to Start>run>type in "regedit" without the quotes.
    you will then be in the registry.
    Click carefully because if you delete the wrong thing you will have to
    reload windows altogether.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>and
    look for the ENUM key.
    Make a backup of this key and put it on the desktop (just In case).
    Delete the ENUM key and close the registry,then turn off the computer
    through shutdown.
    Switch the hard drive over to the new system and then turn on.
    The drivers will start to load.
    If you need to contact me my e-mail is
    Scott Hargrove

    [JK] Chewwy, Nov 30, 2004