Re: Upgrading this old XP desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, May 10, 2008.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Sarah Houston" <> wrote in message
    > Now that the RAM upgrade has worked so well, I'm thinking in terms of
    > upgrading this old desktop and saving some money over a new PC.
    >
    > I see that I can add DVDRW for $39: http://tinyurl.com/5syb4n
    >
    > Should work on regular old IDE, right? Even with my 2 hard drives?
    >
    > And I see I can get a little USB2 5-port for like $10?
    >
    > But what about upgrading these two 40GB drives to bigger SATA ones?
    >
    > Do I need any special interface for SATA or will my EIDE controller just
    > pick those up and handle them, all the same?

    Sarah

    I seriously suggest you leave your PC upgrades at adding the RAM you have
    already done.
    Sure a new DVD's only $39 and a USB 2 card $10 etc but then when you start
    adding new SATA drives and their controllers it all starts to add up.
    eg why not a new motherboard and CPU, or faster Video card etc.
    In the end you could spend the same if not more than the price of a new PC
    but still have an 'old' PC if you know what I mean.
    You are far better off just saving the $ toward a new PC.

    I've also noticed you've posted a lot of hardware queries over the last few
    weeks.
    May I suggest you seek out a copy of Scott Muellers 'Upgrading and Repairing
    PC's'
    Sure it's not cheap but it is very comprehensive (try your local public
    library)
    A couple of weeks wading through that book will bring you up to speed with
    the whys a wherefores of PC hardware.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 10, 2008

  2. PeeCee

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 01:15:27 -0500, Sarah Houston wrote:

    >"PeeCee" <> wrote :
    >

    >> Sarah
    >>
    >> I seriously suggest you leave your PC upgrades at adding the RAM you
    >> have already done.
    >> Sure a new DVD's only $39 and a USB 2 card $10 etc but then when you
    >> start adding new SATA drives and their controllers it all starts to
    >> add up.

    <snip>

    >> I've also noticed you've posted a lot of hardware queries over the
    >> last few weeks.
    >> May I suggest you seek out a copy of Scott Muellers 'Upgrading and
    >> Repairing PC's'
    >> Sure it's not cheap but it is very comprehensive (try your local
    >> public library)
    >> A couple of weeks wading through that book will bring you up to speed
    >> with the whys a wherefores of PC hardware.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    >Thanks Paul. :)

    Excellent book, I have a shelf full of these from the (IIRC) 3rd edition
    to 17th.

    http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-17th-Scott-Mueller/dp/0789734044

    The series has branched out to same for laptops and networking.

    Me
    why?, May 10, 2008