Re: Upgrading from Sony F717

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Townsend, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Jim Townsend

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Am seeing lots of things out there about the new Sony F828. I have been
    > contemplating going to a higher end camera, I currently use the Sony F717
    > and am wondering what recommendations people have for a higher end camera?
    > Either go to the new Sony 828 or full out digital SLR. What are some good
    > entry level digi slr's?

    That's a tough question.. The new Sony appears to be an impressive camera.
    But.. since it isn't being sold yet, it's hard to recommend it. I'd want to
    wait for the reviews and user comments to start coming out. I don't think the
    price has been announced yet either. It certainly looks like a contender.

    As far as high end cameras go.. DSLR's are still quite a bit more expensive.
    The main advantages to SLR's are; faster autofocus, interchangeable lenses and
    high ISO shots with low noise. If you can live without these features, then
    getting an SLR will be of little advantage.

    I went the DSLR route and don't regret it. The two most popular entry level
    SLR's appear to be the Canon 10D and the Nikon D100. They are the lowest
    priced.. The Canon is around $1400US and the D100 is a bit higher. Both are
    very capable cameras.

    Just remember these cameras are sold as bodies only.. You'll still need
    lenses... A decent set and a few large capacity memory cards will run you up
    to the $2000.00 range.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Jim Townsend

    grenner Guest

    The new Sony will be in the $1300 range with the price of the 717 remaining
    as is.

    Greg

    grenner, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Jim Townsend

    grenner Guest

    Make that $1200 MSRP

    grenner, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Jim Townsend

    JK Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Am seeing lots of things out there about the new Sony F828. I have been
    > > contemplating going to a higher end camera, I currently use the Sony F717
    > > and am wondering what recommendations people have for a higher end camera?
    > > Either go to the new Sony 828 or full out digital SLR. What are some good
    > > entry level digi slr's?

    > That's a tough question.. The new Sony appears to be an impressive camera.
    > But.. since it isn't being sold yet, it's hard to recommend it. I'd want to
    > wait for the reviews and user comments to start coming out.

    Also to see where the price settles early next year.

    > I don't think the
    > price has been announced yet either. It certainly looks like a contender.

    Perhaps, perhaps not? If we see a digital slr that takes interchangeable
    lenses and is priced under $1,000 in the fall, unless the F828 is priced
    in the $600-800 range it might not sell that well?

    JK, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Jim Townsend

    JK Guest

    grenner wrote:

    > The new Sony will be in the $1300 range with the price of the 717 remaining
    > as is.

    That is probably the list price. The real discounted price, or "street" price
    might end up being much lower? It wouldn't surpise me if the F828 is
    available early next year for around $600.

    JK, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Jim Townsend

    JK Guest

    That might translate into a "street" price of around $600 or so
    early next year?

    JK, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Jim Townsend

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the input Jim,

    I was looking at the D100 at it certainly is an impressive camera. faster
    auto focus, high iso with low noise is something that interests me, plus the
    ability to change lenses if and when the situation arises.

    I do like my sony f717 and am impressed with the images it takes, but am
    looking for something more...Since I am not used to dealing with other brand
    names of cameras how do they handle transfering files? With my sony I just
    plug it in and move the files over to my hard drive, very simple and very
    fast. How do the nikons work? Also I noticed the file format for the nikon
    is RAW - is this proprietory and is there specific nikon software needed to
    handle RAW formats?

    thanks
    dave

    Dave, Aug 19, 2003
  8. Jim Townsend

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >I went the DSLR route and don't regret it. The two most popular entry level
    >SLR's appear to be the Canon 10D and the Nikon D100. They are the lowest
    >priced.. The Canon is around $1400US and the D100 is a bit higher. Both are
    >very capable cameras.

    I believe I've seen the Sigma SD9 selling for under US$1000.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Aug 20, 2003