Re: Upgrades to iMacs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Empson, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    thing2 <> wrote:

    > Would there be an upgrade to the iMacs in the new year?

    There are new Mac laptop models due to be announced on Wednesday morning
    (NZ time). Apple has sent out an official invitation to an event titled
    "Now the spotlight turns to notebooks".

    In the past couple of years, new iMacs have been announced within about
    a month of MacBook Pro updates, so it is very likely that there will be
    a new series of iMacs before the end of November, and certainly by early
    next year.

    The next iMac model is likely to be a minor update to the current one,
    with the usual improvements like bigger hard drives, faster CPU, better
    graphics hardware.

    There have been rumours about Apple reducing the price of entry level
    models (at least for laptops), but with the NZ dollar having fallen
    significantly against the US dollar recently, it is likely that the new
    range of models will cost more in New Zealand than the existing ones.

    > What is their upgrade cycle...

    Somewhat variable, but there is usually a new iMac series every six to
    nine months. The last updates were in April.

    It is mainly driven by release of new CPU and chipset series from Intel,
    and the last such update was widely available in August. Apple tends to
    update their laptop models first, then the iMac.

    A complicating factor this time is a rumoured switch to NVIDIA chipsets
    instead of Intel. Whatever the reason, the laptops have taken about a
    month longer than normal to appear after an Intel CPU/chipset update.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Oct 13, 2008

  2. In message <1ior1tb.1ah944f11qsf5bN%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > The next iMac model is likely to be a minor update to the current one,
    > with the usual improvements like bigger hard drives, faster CPU, better
    > graphics hardware.

    Time for a new case. That lantern-jawed block is getting a bit old,
    methinks.

    > There have been rumours about Apple reducing the price of entry level
    > models (at least for laptops) ...

    I see a price of USD800 being bandied about. Looks like Apple is gingerly
    dipping its elegantly-manicured tootsies into netbook territory...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2008

  3. In message <>, thing2 wrote:

    > What's the Apire though? $130US or something...?

    Not quite _that_ cheap. :)

    Multiply by 5 to get into the ballpark.

    > so how well did the air mac do?

    Haven't seen any figures. I suspect it's destined to go the way of the G4
    Cube.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2008
  4. David Empson

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Haven't seen any figures. I suspect it's destined to go the way of the G4
    >> Cube.

    > suspect so...Ive not heard much on it...

    The apple heads I know all love it, but wouldnt want one to replace
    their current macbook pro or whatever they have. seems to be a nice
    piece of engineering, castrated and then finding no market.

    Richard, Oct 13, 2008