Re: Upgrade to Vista 32

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Theo, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Theo

    Theo Guest

    Charlie, the link seems to still be active for the Win XP x64 Trial:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx

    Theo, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Thanks, Theo. I'm surprised, but good news for the OP..

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 25, 2007

  3. System requirements
    a.. Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with
    Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support

    b.. 256 MB RAM

    c.. 1.5 GB available hard-disk space

    d.. Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card

    e.. CD-ROM or DVD drive

    f.. Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

    That is what the MS website says...

    ======================================

    Surely this is a JOKE! Not even W98 will run decently on 256 megs of ram.

    I cannot believe this idiot marketing from MS.

    =======================================

    Gary J. Dikkema, Nov 26, 2007
  4. I believe 256MB will be quite enough for running the system and any of the
    utilities. The minimum requirements obviously will not cover running the
    applications you may install. It couldn't very well be expressed any more
    clearly.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 26, 2007
  5. Honestly, I suppose it is technically possible to run XP x64 in 256. Just as
    it's technically possible to run Vista 64 in 512. But it is not an
    experience I would wish on anyone. Twice those numbers are the effective
    minimum, IMHO. And 4x the numbers are comfortable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2007
  6. I agree, of course, but entry-level CPU's are quite powerful today. The
    basic system of a modern PC, I believe, is rather - well, 'modern'. I would
    hesitate to do it on one of the retired machines most people may have
    sitting as a dust collector somewhere. No - frankly, I wouldn't even try
    that.

    But for someone who just want to see it and make an evaluation(?) well,
    isn't that what the Minimum Requirements would be covering? Anyhow, it is a
    bit stupid, because you would need to upgrade the thing before you made your
    decision. Even so, I recon you'd have a hard time finding a 256MB computer
    anywhere with the way memory prices have been going lately.

    [Minimum Requirements], though, isn't making many promises - you should
    expect to disable features while being able to run everything that makes up
    the system. I would expect to find installations that wouldn't work in this
    configuration, but as a bare minimum(?) - I would expect total failure from
    anything less, it probably wouldn't even boot.

    As I'm sitting here trying to prove my position - no, I give in! It really
    IS a stupid notion - and [Technically Possible] sounds more and more
    reasonable a phrasing. I don't think MS should publish these MR's without
    lenghty documentation that explained their definitions to the concept, but
    I've had several Win2K machines that ran quite decently with 128MB
    initially! And people forget (me too!), this wasn't more than four - five
    years ago.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 26, 2007
  7. Theo

    Carlos Guest

    Now I wonder...
    How much memory will we be qualifying as "reasonable" within 5 years (if we
    are still here or in an advanced 128-bit NG)?
    20 gigs main memory, 5 TB hard disks?
    Carlos
    P.S. How was that Cognac the other day? I went for a "Pisco sour"

    Carlos, Nov 26, 2007
  8. Wow! That is a tough one - as usual I think it will continue to depend on:

    1. What you want to do.

    2. What the developers want to sell to you.

    3. If there will be another technological revolution within that time.

    If number one is the defining issue, then I don't think we will be needing
    much more than about twice the resources we have now - if we can still get
    that little?

    If number two, then you may well be correct.

    Number three I predict will not happen within five years.

    If any combination of of the above, then anything unthinkable is possible.
    Except I think we will be having not less than 15TB HD's. It's not more than
    four years back I bought a 750MB (yes, MegaByte!) HD. Everybody thought I'd
    flipped the lid - six months later they all had one!

    Ah, the Cognac - my favorite is the 'Renault Carte Noir' but I had to make
    do with a 'De Luze' that I find to be extremely gentle and of a friendly
    nature. The decision is a 'bang for the buck' one, De Luze costs less than
    half and the Renault is not twice as good!

    The Pisco, I'm afraid, is totaly unfamiliar to me - I will check with my
    dealer. Usually I am far more inclined towards Single Malts, (The Scottish
    Isles in the Irish sea!) but like in the movies when someone had a severe
    shock, the doctor always orders a Cognac - I too like to not go into habits
    so when something unusual happens and I think it warrants proper support I
    turn to Cognac, or Armagnac, or Calvados. I also have my favorit coffee
    brand, but I keep changing between several good brands in order to sharpen
    the senses. Or you could call it a taste for self-punishment before the
    compensation, perhaps.

    Well, it seems we are both in a good mood today, Carlos. Keep up the spirit!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 26, 2007
  9. Ah, a Pisco Sour. Now that's something we could agree on.

    Well, when XP x64 released, and supported 128 GB of RAM, I couldn't conceive
    of any motherboard that even would support it, much less my buying it. Well,
    take a look at mid-range, dual-proc, Tyan boards... Yup. 128 GB of RAM
    supported. Youser.

    When we bought our first 1 GB HD it cost >$1k USD and was an object of lust
    and amazement.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 27, 2007
  10. Theo

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Pisco is to Peru what Vodka is to Russia.
    It is one of those transparent high alcoholic content national drinks.
    Chileans also tend to refer Pisco as a national drink.
    As we live quite close to Chile down here, many chileans prepare their
    drinks in the restaurants as appetizers.
    Two of them are the Pisco Sour (Pisco + egg white + lemon + sugar) and the
    "Vaina Chilena" (translation would be Chilean Sheath).
    Don't know exactly how "Vaina" applies here 'cause it has many meanings.
    It can be the green thing that covers the beans, or the leather where you
    keep a knife.
    Check your liquor store, you might find the "Pisco Sour" already prepared
    (that's the way I buy it).
    I am glad that Charlie also likes it.
    As for the coffee, my wife also keeps changing the brand for the same
    reasons you do.
    Luckily, that switching habit does not apply to her husband, i.e.: me.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 27, 2007
  11. This is interesting. Just the fact that the earliest forms of
    mass-production in human culture invariably seems to involv fermentation,
    and that the results are so varied.

    Can you say what is the base of Pisco? Vodka is Wheat, our local Snaps is
    Potato, Cognac is Grape, Rhum is Cane and Whisky is Barley. Then you have
    the Italians using the waste of the Wine production as Grappa.

    Amazing creativity!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2007
  12. Theo

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    It is also a grape liquor.
    http://www.go2peru.com/pisco.htm
    "The Spaniards brought a grape liquor that with the time was elaborated in
    Peru.

    It was named "pisco", name that has three origins: means a Quechua word that
    translated to English means "bird". The mud container was called "botija",
    where pisco was deposited. Pisco, city and name of a town that belongs to the
    Ica valley, correspond to a very important event. The great Independence
    leader José de San Martín disembark in the Paracas bay in Pisco, September
    8th, 1820.

    The botija was a practical container that used in the elaboration of pisco
    and then to transport and keep it. In the botija the grape juice was
    fermented and distilled. Afterwards the pisco is stored in botijas. When the
    botijas are empty they stowed them face down, until being used again in the
    next vintage.

    All this shows that no other country can copy the Peruvian PISCO"

    "Quechuas" where indians that inhabited Peru.
    I was not aware of that interpretation of the word "botija".
    I am familiar with the term but the way they use it in Uruguay.
    It means "kid".

    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 27, 2007
  13. I drank Pisco Sours in Peru, Chile and Argentina. But drinking them at 3100
    meters is not a great idea, I discovered. Was in Cusco for several days
    before and after going to Machu Pichu. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 27, 2007
  14. I have to say, Charlie - you sure have been doing some sensible vacationing!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2007
  15. Well, well -"botija" is immidiately recognizable as "bottle", and I confess
    I had expected Pisco to have some connection with "fish" or fishing - but
    language is an organic entity that is fermenting on it's own.

    Thank you, for the historical and the cultural bits, Carlos - in the end
    that's what lends a quality of 'experience' to knowledge. To me, anyhow!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2007
  16. Ah, that was back in the boom days. ;) Some truly great trips, ones that
    have left me with somewhat less money, but a wealth of memories and
    knowledge that I would never otherwise have had. I regret not a one. Well,
    OK, just one part of one - We spent a week in the Galapagos Islands, and I
    would far rather have spent a day there and the extra 6 days in Peru. Though
    we did find a simply amazingly good restaurant in Guayaquil (where we had to
    overnight leaving the Galapagos prior to flying out to Lima.) We stayed at
    the Hilton, and had no expectations at all, obviously. But wandered in to
    their Italian restaurant and had a simply fabulous meal. Truly, the chef was
    inspired, and the meal was one I'd have been quite happy with in San
    Francisco or NYC. But at a Hilton in Guayaquil?!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2007
  17. Surely you jest!

    I know they sell 512 meg Vista boxes for $500 and they are real lemons!

    But 256 Megs? Get serious dude!

    Gary J. Dikkema, Dec 2, 2007
  18. I was not implying that you (or anybody else) would be much impressed with
    this amount, only that you could expect to install and boot the system -
    which would go well with the term "Minimum Requirements"! I still believe
    this to be relatively true - because you would probably be able to find
    machines or circumstances that could not boot with this configuration.

    I also stated that I thought the term was 'stupid' to use without a
    definitive definition, (because some people would be fooled into thinking
    that such a system would be useable).

    Other than that, I agree with your position.

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2007