Re: Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Porkchop, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Porkchop

    Porkchop Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:29:32 +1200, Lennier wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:56:56 +1000, Jay wrote:
    >
    >>> Indeed all you are doing is expressing your opinion. Now all you need
    >>> is an informed one.

    >> Have you used Knode at all?

    > Yes - I don't like it. I find Pan to be superior.
    >
    > Lennier

    To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.

    So much hostility with the "You haven't used the latest PAN so what in the
    hell would you know about Pan pissing contest"

    Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
    Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
    that's over 5 year old.

    At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
    Lennier.

    cheers

    Porkchop, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Porkchop

    lily Guest

    "Porkchop" <> wrote in message

    > >> Have you used Knode at all?

    > > Yes - I don't like it. I find Pan to be superior.
    > >
    > > Lennier

    > To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
    >
    > So much hostility with the "You haven't used the latest PAN so what in the
    > hell would you know about Pan pissing contest"
    >
    > Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
    > Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
    > that's over 5 year old.

    I'll defend Adam Warner here.
    He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
    his/her style of advocacy.

    As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee"
    Knode is KDE, and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you
    want to use it offline.
    Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
    gtkspell.
    Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools.
    Its very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
    releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable version.

    The win vs lin bit is a bit OT, but
    Windows as used by most users was developed as a client. The security came
    with the server version.
    Linux developed from servers. Its gui client function is added on.The tools
    for network security are part of the kernel.
    XP is better, but without shelling out $$$ for a server version, I still
    can't see a way of running a WINS server and VPN combination for example.
    So ironically I get full the windows network functions by using Debian with
    samba and poptop
    I note in passing that my inbox is filling up with the spawn of yet another
    Windows virus/worm at the moment, so I'm happy to have my Windows clients
    backed up on a non Windows box. Security through diversity :)

    > At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
    > Lennier.

    "coffee vs tea"
    Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.

    > cheers

    chez bak

    lily, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Porkchop

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi lily,

    > I'll defend Adam Warner here.

    <blush> Thank you Ma'dam.

    Adam Warner, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Porkchop

    lily Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:
    >
    > > XP is better,

    > Than what?
    >
    > Of course one can say that XP is better than cp/m
    >
    > It is debatable as to whether XP is better than any other modern system.

    Can't be bothered with you, sorry.
    If you can't follow the context, theres not much point you trying to
    participate in the thread.
    Leave it to the adults.

    lily, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Porkchop

    Porkchop Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:

    >> To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
    >>

    > I'll defend Adam Warner here.
    > He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
    > his/her style of advocacy.

    Im not talking about style ... How can an advocate base his entire
    windows knowledge on just windows98 its bloody absurd.

    No wonder Lenneier thinks the RH workstation is more stable, based on his
    only experience of Win98.

    > As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee" Knode is KDE,
    > and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you want to
    > use it offline.
    > Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
    > gtkspell.
    > Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools. Its
    > very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
    > releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable
    > version.

    Jay wouldn't be the first person to disapprove of PAN ... Adam seems to
    worship PAN like he does with debian.

    Adam would never be my first choice for a balanced constructive view on
    either Linux or PAN, and no MAX burke wouldn't be my choice either for
    Windows from this NG.

    > The win vs lin bit is a bit OT, but
    > Windows as used by most users was developed as a client. The security
    > came with the server version.
    > Linux developed from servers. Its gui client function is added on.The
    > tools for network security are part of the kernel. XP is better, but
    > without shelling out $$$ for a server version, I still can't see a way
    > of running a WINS server and VPN combination for example. So ironically
    > I get full the windows network functions by using Debian with samba and
    > poptop
    > I note in passing that my inbox is filling up with the spawn of yet
    > another Windows virus/worm at the moment, so I'm happy to have my
    > Windows clients backed up on a non Windows box. Security through
    > diversity :)

    I agree with most above , Windows 2000 /XP has been miles ahead of Linux
    as a workstation. I have used redhat 6.1 through to version 8 and its been
    catch-up with Windows every time.

    I also note in passing .. EDS here in NZ have recently moved to using
    OUTLOOK So it would seem possible to secure windows email services.

    >> At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
    >> Lennier.

    > "coffee vs tea"
    > Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.

    and Lennier babbles about Window operating systems he has never
    seen..

    > chez bak

    right back at ya .

    Porkchop, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Porkchop

    lily Guest

    "Porkchop" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:
    > >

    > >> To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
    > >>

    > > I'll defend Adam Warner here.
    > > He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
    > > his/her style of advocacy.
    > >

    > Im not talking about style ... How can an advocate base his entire
    > windows knowledge on just windows98 its bloody absurd.
    >
    > No wonder Lenneier thinks the RH workstation is more stable, based on his
    > only experience of Win98.
    >
    > > As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee" Knode is KDE,
    > > and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you want to
    > > use it offline.
    > > Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
    > > gtkspell.
    > > Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools. Its
    > > very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
    > > releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable
    > > version.
    > >

    > Jay wouldn't be the first person to disapprove of PAN ... Adam seems to
    > worship PAN like he does with debian.
    >
    > Adam would never be my first choice for a balanced constructive view on
    > either Linux or PAN, and no MAX burke wouldn't be my choice either for
    > Windows from this NG.

    I don't see the need to personalise this the way you are doing.
    Seems a little immature
    Pan is different to KNode, better for some things, not KDE, whatever. you
    can also read news in slrn gnus mozilla sylpheed thunderbird and others,
    just like there is OE MicoGravity Agent mozilla Xnews etc for Windows.
    I wouldn't accept that any of these are "ten times better" than any other,
    they all just organise threads of inane text banter ;)

    Regarding debian, for a NZ user, apt-get from the local mirrors rocks. Its
    not a question of worship or faith, but of function and convenience.

    lily, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Porkchop

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:01:13 +1200, Porkchop wrote:
    >

    >>theres a clue in his book about Windows 95 not being built ontop of DOS
    >>... or in anyway does windows 95 need DOS.

    > Oohhh - do tell us how one starts Windows then....
    >
    > One types "win" into an MS-DOS prompt!
    >
    > Lennier

    that doesnt work on mine, my machine doesnt have dos, unless dos now
    runs happily on ntfs partitions?

    T.N.O., Jul 20, 2003
  8. Porkchop

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > Well you're obviously not running Micro$oft Windows.

    I was going to respond, but I dont have the time to explain to you the
    ways that you are, well not wrong, but not right either.

    Good day.

    T.N.O., Jul 20, 2003
  9. Porkchop

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:20:31 +1200, Porkchop wrote:

    > Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
    > Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
    > that's over 5 year old.

    MS-DOS is much older than that!

    Windows is a DOS programme.

    Lennier

    --
    I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
    of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Porkchop

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:38:58 +1200, Porkchop wrote:

    >> Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.
    >>

    > and Lennier babbles about Window operating systems he has never seen.

    No - I still have one box which can run Win4.1 for legacy purposes only.

    I have two other boxen which run various distributions of GNU/Linux, and a
    third which once resurrected (needs a new HDD) will run Debian 3 as a
    network server.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Porkchop

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:31:36 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    >> Oohhh - do tell us how one starts Windows then....
    >>
    >> One types "win" into an MS-DOS prompt!
    >>
    >> Lennier
    >>

    > that doesnt work on mine, my machine doesnt have dos, unless dos now runs
    > happily on ntfs partitions?

    Well you're obviously not running Micro$oft Windows. Perhaps you're
    running a version of WindowsNT instead - which is a totally different
    system - as you should already know.

    Besides, I believe that there IS a version of M$-DOS which supports NTFS.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  12. Porkchop

    Lennier Guest