Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Frankhartx, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Frankhartx

    Frankhartx Guest

    >From: (DScheffold)

    >I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few

    Do not upgrade to xp pro but to xp home editon-pro sets a new record for freeze
    ups and incompatability. When I upgraded my old computer to pro i made a wise
    decision--i kept 98 and thus had a choice of os's--thank god-that saved my
    butt.

    Frankhartx, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Frankhartx

    Tom Scales Guest

    Frank,

    Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    choose it because of its reliability.

    Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 11, 2003

  3. > Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    > reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    > choose it because of its reliability.
    >
    > Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.

    Why pay the extra bucks if you're not going to connect to a domain or
    use any of the other "special" features of Pro? And to upgrade over
    the top of 98 is asking for trouble.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Frankhartx

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Frankhartx wrote:

    >>From: (DScheffold)

    >>I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few

    > Do not upgrade to xp pro but to xp home editon-pro sets a new record for freeze
    > ups and incompatability. When I upgraded my old computer to pro i made a wise
    > decision--i kept 98 and thus had a choice of os's--thank god-that saved my
    > butt.

    Interesting, since WinXP Home and Pro are the SAME, except for addition
    of some networking modules and a utility to control security settings.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Frankhartx

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    >>Your experience is contrary to the rest of the world. XP Pro is quite
    >>reliable and running well on literally millions of machines. Large companies
    >>choose it because of its reliability.
    >>
    >>Personally, I could go straight to Pro, not Home. Why limit yourself.

    > Why pay the extra bucks if you're not going to connect to a domain or
    > use any of the other "special" features of Pro? And to upgrade over
    > the top of 98 is asking for trouble.

    THAT is why I suspect many people have trouble with XP.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 11, 2003
  6. > THAT is why I suspect many people have trouble with XP.

    Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    you might already have (and not know it).

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Frankhartx

    Frankhartx Guest

    >rom: Randall Ainsworth
    >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital

    >Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    >PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    >generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    >you might already have (and not know it).

    Not on top but side by side. The two can coexist quite nicely as seperate and
    distinct choices xp pro would simply not work with my printer but I could
    switch over to 98 and have no problem, xphome worked with the printer from the
    get go. Takes up some disk space but i think it's a good idea to have another
    os available if needed

    Frankhartx, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Frankhartx

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

    > >rom: Randall Ainsworth
    > >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital

    > >Any time you put one version of an operating system on top of another,
    > >PC or Mac, you're asking for trouble. Especially when making a
    > >generational jump from 98 to XP. You just inherit whatever problems
    > >you might already have (and not know it).

    > Not on top but side by side. The two can coexist quite nicely as seperate

    and
    > distinct choices xp pro would simply not work with my printer but I could
    > switch over to 98 and have no problem, xphome worked with the printer from

    the
    > get go. Takes up some disk space but i think it's a good idea to have

    another
    > os available if needed

    Ummm, XP Home and XP Pro are essentially the same OS and use the exact same
    drivers, so if Home worked with your printer, Pro will too.

    ---JRE---

    NoOneYouKnow, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Frankhartx

    Frankhartx Guest

    >rom: "NoOneYouKnow"
    >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital

    >Ummm, XP Home and XP Pro are essentially the same OS and use the exact same
    >drivers, so if Home worked with your printer, Pro will too.

    But it did not.

    Frankhartx, Jul 12, 2003
  10. On 12 Jul 2003 01:12:23 GMT, (Frankhartx) wrote:

    >>rom: "NoOneYouKnow"
    >>Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital

    >>Ummm, XP Home and XP Pro are essentially the same OS and use the exact same
    >>drivers, so if Home worked with your printer, Pro will too.

    >But it did not.

    They use the same kernel and the same drivers although they may be
    different versions. XP Pro just has a few more capabilities in the
    networking and security end.

    It almost has to be either a configuration error, or driver version
    error as it should work with the printer.

    www.rogerhalstead.com
    N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

    Roger Halstead, Jul 12, 2003
  11. Frankhartx

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

    > >rom: "NoOneYouKnow"
    > >Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital

    > >Ummm, XP Home and XP Pro are essentially the same OS and use the exact

    same
    > >drivers, so if Home worked with your printer, Pro will too.

    > But it did not.

    They are the same OS, and use the same drivers. If one worked, and the
    other didn't, then you must have run into what I like to call a "chair to
    keyboard interface problem."

    ---JRE---

    NoOneYouKnow, Jul 14, 2003