Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "DScheffold" <> wrote in message
    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few concerns.

    I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the

    sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that

    both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time

    installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I

    install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded

    with
    > similar conditions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
    drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
    upgrade.

    Matt
    Matt, Jul 11, 2003

  2. "Matt" <> wrote in message

    > "DScheffold" <> wrote in message
    > > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few

    concerns.
    > I am
    > > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the

    > sticky
    > > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that

    > both
    > > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time

    > installing
    > > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I

    > install
    > > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded

    > with
    > > similar conditions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Don

    > Only upgrade if your motherboard and devices connected to it will have
    > drivers for XP. Otherwise you will be sitting in cold water after the
    > upgrade.
    >
    > Matt

    I had a similar problem with upgrading from Win98SE to XP using a Canoscan
    600 flatbed that operated via an Adaptec SCSI card.
    I could get a driver for the Adaptec card to work okay under XP and
    downloaded the Twain driver for the scanner from the Canon site which
    claimed it was for 2000 / XP (XP said it wasn't a XP verified driver - but
    that is commonplace).
    After install and a bit of stuffing around XP would recognise the SCSI card
    and the Twain driver but the Canon ScanCraft program would not operate under
    XP even with all the updates and patches installed.

    In the end I resinstalled Win98SE on the PC, installed a network card, built
    a new kick-arse Pentium 4 PC with all the fruit, installed XP Pro on it and
    networked the two machines. In reality it was the most economical solution
    considering the initial cost of the scanner and the film adapter unit I had
    purchased for it.

    This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware that
    becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in the
    IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket high
    priced peripherals unless you are going to work the arse off them in a very
    short space of time so you actually get value for money.

    My 2c worth.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Rutlidge, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "Alan Rutlidge" <rutlidge*nO-sPaM*@mail.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > This problem of no updated drivers, incompatible programs and hardware

    that
    > becomes obsolete witin months of reaching the marketplace is indemic in

    the
    > IT world. Sometimes I often question the real value of buying upmarket

    high
    > priced peripherals unless you are going to work the arse off them in a

    very
    > short space of time so you actually get value for money.
    >
    > My 2c worth.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    I believe you nailed the lid on the coffin. Right on. Peripherals don't last
    that long however if I could make one final statement. If you have been
    using the peripherals ever since NT4 came out then you might have a better

    Matt
    Matt, Jul 11, 2003