Re: Upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dragan Cvetkovic, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. (DScheffold) writes:

    > I am considering upgrading to XP Pro from 98 SE but I have a few
    > concerns.

    Listened too much to Microsoft "upgrade to XP Pro" commercial? :) It is
    interesting that their message there is that everything else is "not good
    (enough)". As if most of the people won't be upgrading from an MS OS.

    > I am
    > running a P3 650MB with Intel processor. I have 512MB of RAM. Now the sticky
    > part. I have a Nikon 2000 Film Scanner and a Nikon Flatbed Scanner that both
    > operate off of an Adaptec SCSI controller. I had a difficult time installing
    > both scanners but they are now operating fine. I am concerned when I install
    > the upgrade that the SCSI devices will not operate. Has anyone upgraded with
    > similar conditions?

    I know that XP has dropped a lot of (obsolete?) hardware support so if your
    SCSI controller is one of these, you better stick with 98SE. You have to
    tell us which Adaptec SCSI controller that is (they make/made a lot of
    different models) or find for yourself if that one is still
    supported. Check if the drivers are available for your scanners.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Jul 11, 2003