Re: Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, May 31, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Dear group,
    >
    > I did post this over at alt.computer.hardware but that
    > group doesn't appear to be very active.
    >
    > Basically, I'm currently using the following system:

    <SNIP>

    Based on your description of what you do, you don't need a
    dedicated graphics card or a faster processor - although a
    faster processor would not hurt because of all the stuff you
    like to do at the once. You definitely DO need more memory and
    probably need to tweak your system for maximum efficiency - but
    telling you how to do that is somewhat beyond the scope of this
    reply.
    Google, there are many "tweak/streamline" sites, and you gave
    already been given some advice in this thread.

    (FWIW, I think you do have a tendency to try to do too many
    things at the same time. That can result in a variety of
    undesirable consequences, regardless of the system or its power.
    The USER is ultimately the main component.)

    I would check to see exactly what memory your MB uses and get 2
    or 4 GB if possible.

    If you WANT to upgrade, get a new motherboard, processor, and
    4GB of memory. The rest of your machine is fine.

    If you /want/ to just spend money, IMO the only reasonable way
    to buy a computer is to have a friendly neighborhood computer
    shop build one to your /exact/ specs, without all the shit you
    don't need or want, and WITH the stuff you need or want but will
    either not get at all, or get the cheapest/worst quality (that's
    what goes into name brand computers in case you didn't know),
    all for a lower price than a name brand and with service a few
    blocks away instead of weeks or months of emails and charged LD
    phone calls.
    thanatoid, May 31, 2009