Re: Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, May 30, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear group,
    >
    > I did post this over at alt.computer.hardware but that group doesn't
    > appear to be very active.
    >
    > Basically, I'm currently using the following system:
    >
    > Processor:
    > 2.40GHz Intel Celeron, 8Kb primary memory cache, 128 kilobyte secondary
    > memory cache
    >
    > Motherboard:
    > BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 06/10/2004, Board: P4i65GV 1.0, Bus
    > Clock: 100 megahertz
    >
    > Memory:
    > 736 Mb RAM
    >
    > Hard Drive:
    > MAXTOR STM380215A 80Gb, two partitions.
    >
    > You can probably tell that this is not a high-end or new machine. I've
    > had
    > it for a few years now and it's my general office workhorse. I tend to
    > run
    > several applications at once, eg Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Acrobat,
    > Firefox, Outlook (and Windows Live Mail) and a few others running in the
    > background. Because time is precious it's not an efficient way of working
    > for me to keep closing and restarting programs, rather I need to keep them
    > open and switch in and out as necessary.
    >
    > I am looking to upgrade the system so that (obviously) the machine runs
    > quicker generally. But more important than pure speed I sometimes get
    > system hangs when loading large files (some PDFs for example) and if the
    > machine doesn't lock up completely it can take a few minutes to "catch
    > up".
    > Again, when running anything quite graphic intensive it can slow right
    > down.
    > Web surfing is ok but again, the input (keyboard/mouse) can be a bit
    > unresponsive and stutter with some pages. By the way I'm using an onboard
    > Intel 82865G Graphics Controller rather than a dedicated card.
    >
    > My friend suggested a SATA II drive, but I'm leaning towards more RAM and
    > maybe a dedicated graphics card, perhaps even a new processor.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice? Does my system have an obvious "bottleneck",
    > or "weak link"? I am inclined to believe that a faster drive would
    > benefit
    > more in terms of overall data transfer (which might be usual for the daily
    > backups, although they happen during "downtime" anyway), but that more RAM
    > and a faster processor would help me more in terms of switching in and out
    > of applications and loading files.
    >
    > Can anyone advise whether my motherboard would support a faster processor?
    > Would a separate graphics card be worth it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tanel.

    Tanel

    Regretfully the 'bottleneck' on you machine is the whole machine.
    The days of dropping in a new CPU for a marked increase in speed stopped
    some years ago.

    The improvement in speed of machines has come from incremental improvements
    in all areas of the Computer
    Bus speed, CPU speed, Hard drive Speed, Graphics card speed, Chipsets etc.
    This means dropping in a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard drive and Power
    supply which together usually add up to more than a whole new PC.

    To improve what you've got the best you can do is to have a good cleanout of
    the operating system.
    Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx is a
    brilliant tool for managing startup programs.
    Spybot Search & Destroy, A squared, Super Anti Spyware are good for cleaning
    out crap.
    (not don't get sucked into the 'registry cleaners' fix, they don't work)
    Review Add / Remove programs in the control panel and cull anything not
    absolutely necessary.

    You may get a small improvement (especially if you've installed SP3) by
    increasing the RAM, but you may be restricted by what the motherboard can
    handle and the cost.
    Alternatively backing up your data and reinstalling windows will clean
    things out as well.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 30, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    Iapetus Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dear group,
    >>
    >> I did post this over at alt.computer.hardware but that group doesn't
    >> appear to be very active.
    >>
    >> Basically, I'm currently using the following system:
    >>
    >> Processor:
    >> 2.40GHz Intel Celeron, 8Kb primary memory cache, 128 kilobyte secondary
    >> memory cache
    >>
    >> Motherboard:
    >> BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 06/10/2004, Board: P4i65GV 1.0, Bus
    >> Clock: 100 megahertz
    >>
    >> Memory:
    >> 736 Mb RAM
    >>
    >> Hard Drive:
    >> MAXTOR STM380215A 80Gb, two partitions.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise whether my motherboard would support a faster
    >> processor?
    >> Would a separate graphics card be worth it?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Tanel.
    >>

    > Tanel
    >
    > Regretfully the 'bottleneck' on you machine is the whole machine.
    > The days of dropping in a new CPU for a marked increase in speed stopped
    > some years ago.
    >
    > The improvement in speed of machines has come from incremental
    > improvements in all areas of the Computer
    > Bus speed, CPU speed, Hard drive Speed, Graphics card speed, Chipsets etc.
    > This means dropping in a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard drive and Power
    > supply which together usually add up to more than a whole new PC.

    Where do you buy your stuff from? Building one is far cheaper.

    The ready made ones from places like PC World are a pile of shit and
    should be avoided.

    Iapetus, May 31, 2009

  3. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Iapetus" <> wrote in message news:gvskro$iti$...
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Dear group,
    >>>
    >>> I did post this over at alt.computer.hardware but that group doesn't
    >>> appear to be very active.
    >>>
    >>> Basically, I'm currently using the following system:
    >>>
    >>> Processor:
    >>> 2.40GHz Intel Celeron, 8Kb primary memory cache, 128 kilobyte secondary
    >>> memory cache
    >>>
    >>> Motherboard:
    >>> BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 06/10/2004, Board: P4i65GV 1.0, Bus
    >>> Clock: 100 megahertz
    >>>
    >>> Memory:
    >>> 736 Mb RAM
    >>>
    >>> Hard Drive:
    >>> MAXTOR STM380215A 80Gb, two partitions.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone advise whether my motherboard would support a faster
    >>> processor?
    >>> Would a separate graphics card be worth it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Tanel.
    >>>

    >> Tanel
    >>
    >> Regretfully the 'bottleneck' on you machine is the whole machine.
    >> The days of dropping in a new CPU for a marked increase in speed stopped
    >> some years ago.
    >>
    >> The improvement in speed of machines has come from incremental
    >> improvements in all areas of the Computer
    >> Bus speed, CPU speed, Hard drive Speed, Graphics card speed, Chipsets
    >> etc.
    >> This means dropping in a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard drive and Power
    >> supply which together usually add up to more than a whole new PC.
    >>

    > Where do you buy your stuff from? Building one is far cheaper.
    >
    > The ready made ones from places like PC World are a pile of shit and
    > should be avoided.

    Dear Iapetus

    I run across this 'I can build it cheaper' perception/argument quite often.
    Yes you may be able to build a same spec PC for less than PC World, but that
    is 'not' what is under discussion.

    The OP want's to know what he can do to with his 'present' PC.
    My advice was to get a decent increase in performance he would have to
    replace so many parts it would be 'better value' to buy a new PC.

    The cost of the parts + labour can usually buy you a budget PC with much
    better specs than the old PC and a full warranty to boot.

    P.

    PeeCee, Jun 1, 2009