Re: Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Desk Rabbit, May 29, 2009.

  1. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    What does task manager say?
    Desk Rabbit, May 29, 2009

  2. Desk Rabbit

    chuckcar Guest

    "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospamatall).hotmail.com> wrote in

    >> What does task manager say?

    > Which bit, in particular?
    >
    > There are something like 16,000 Handles, 680 Threads and 60 processes.
    > Commit Charge is around 950000K.
    > Physical memory says Total: 750000K, Available 67000K, System Cache
    > 190000K Kernel Memory says Total 113000K, Paged 84000K, Non-paged
    > 29000K.
    >
    > You can probably gather that I have little idea as to what each of these
    > terms mean.
    >
    > I do have AV and Anti-spyware stuff running, but on balance I reckon
    > that it's more important to my system security and health that I keep
    > these running rather than disable for better performance. I am fairly
    > religious with regard to killing unnecessary processes but you can't
    > kill them all and I think my problem is "peak" usage where there is a
    > big resource drain on the system that causes a problem, rather than when
    > the machine is ambling along performing its routine tasks.
    >
    > As Mike says, I am asking the machine to do a lot, which is precisely
    > why I think the time for an upgrade has come.
    >
    > Hope the above info is of use, although I'm certainly looking in more
    > detail at whether to replace the board.
    >
    > Tanel.

    And you're running XP of course. No wonder it crawls.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 30, 2009

  3. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Tanel Kagan wrote:
    >> What does task manager say?

    > Which bit, in particular?
    >
    > There are something like 16,000 Handles, 680 Threads and 60 processes.
    > Commit Charge is around 950000K.
    > Physical memory says Total: 750000K, Available 67000K, System Cache 190000K
    > Kernel Memory says Total 113000K, Paged 84000K, Non-paged 29000K.
    >
    > You can probably gather that I have little idea as to what each of these
    > terms mean.
    >
    > I do have AV and Anti-spyware stuff running, but on balance I reckon that
    > it's more important to my system security and health that I keep these
    > running rather than disable for better performance. I am fairly religious
    > with regard to killing unnecessary processes but you can't kill them all and
    > I think my problem is "peak" usage where there is a big resource drain on
    > the system that causes a problem, rather than when the machine is ambling
    > along performing its routine tasks.
    >
    > As Mike says, I am asking the machine to do a lot, which is precisely why I
    > think the time for an upgrade has come.
    >
    > Hope the above info is of use, although I'm certainly looking in more detail
    > at whether to replace the board.
    >
    > Tanel.

    Fit 2Gb of RAM in it and try again.
    Desk Rabbit, Jun 1, 2009