Re: Update: Was Re: Lousy Canon Repair Service!! (FS4000)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Spadaro, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Tony Spadaro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Sounds like my experiences with Nikon Repair service for my 4000 ED.
    THey've had it this time since 8/8 and every day when I check on the forum
    for status I find out it was sent out UPS air express today. When I call
    them I'm told by a little recording that the "hold times" are currently
    running 15 minutes, but right now I've been on hold for 45 minutes. I paid
    350 dollars and this i only the second trip -- the first time they said 350
    would fix it, I sent the money and got it back a month later with "Couldn't
    reproduce the problem" written on the ticket.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "FOR7b" <> wrote in message
    > I finally got my Canon FS4000 scanner back today! After 3 repair attempts,
    > around 15 calls, plus $255, no communication from them, and 2.5 months I

    got
    > the scanner delivered in a surpisingly large box through Fed Ex. I opened

    the
    > box noticing how vastly improved the packing was this time. There was

    plenty of
    > room in the outside box and plenty of packing material. This was in stark
    > contrast to the last time they mailed it back when it was put into a small

    box
    > with a few sheets of paper as packing! I'm thinking to myself, "so far so
    > good." Of course I'm still skeptical after their chronic incompetence. I

    wasn't
    > even expecting the scanner to be working right like the last two times

    they
    > tried. Anyway, I unpacked it and low and behold it is a new unit! Finally,

    > say someone was thinking over there at Canon service, or was it Canon

    Customer
    > relations that got the ball moving after I made such a suggestion as I had
    > previously done? Who knows since they never got back to me either after
    > promising they would along with everyone else I had spoken to.
    >
    > Here is the first lesson with Canon service, they will not call you back!

    Their
    > leave a message option is worthless, they never returned those calls.

    Their
    > reps, including one supervisor never returned my calls after promising to

    do
    > so. Even the customers last resort at Customer Relations, they also did

    not get
    > back to me after promising they would. Good luck getting through, hence my
    > leaving messages sometimes. And of course no 800 number. Anyway on with

    the
    > story.
    >
    > I opened up the box to confirm that the scanner really was a new unit and

    sure
    > enough the unit had a different serial number but oddly the new box also

    had a
    > different number. The new scanner and its box didn't have the same serial
    > numbers?? Maybe they have scanner boxes laying around or even scanners

    laying
    > around to be quickly used as swaps. Beats me but sloppy. Anyway,

    everything is
    > in the box. I even have a power cord this time. I look over the scanner to
    > check for handling damage such as scratches. Looks good though the little
    > rubber cover under thee scanner for the USB/SCSI switch is missing.

    Figures.
    > Anyway I hook the scanner up and start up the PC and strangely Windows
    > redetects the new unit and asks for my WIN CD as it was looking for a

    Canon
    > file and asking for it on the WIN CD. Strange since the software was

    already
    > previously installed. I cancelled that and then started up Vuescan as my
    > prefered scanning software as the Canon software FilmGet is way to

    agressive
    > and damaging to the scans when using FARE for dust removal. Vuescan does

    it
    > just right without harming the image whereas the Canon software goes nuts

    and
    > does mass cloning on your scans destroying much fine detail upon close and

    not
    > so close examination. First thing I did was scan a blank negative frame as

    that
    > always showed the scan lines I was getting with my original unit and thank

    GOD
    > what I saw was now a nice clean empty frame! Then I put in a frame with a
    > mainly clear blue sky that always showed the scan lines and thank GOD

    again, no
    > lines! There is a GOD! Canon finally came through and performed with a new
    > unit! Anway I just wanted to share my experience so that others may find

    it
    > helpful should they have to go through something similar.
    >
    > Below is a list of tips that may be helpful for others when dealing with

    Canon
    > service or any other manufacturer should their camera or scanner or any

    other
    > product needs servicing.
    >
    > * Document everything you do. Dates mailed, calls made, full names of

    personnel
    > you speak to, times, etc.
    > * Save all of their correspondence in regards to the sevice and yours.

    Keep an
    > accurate timeline of events.
    > * Take pictures of your equipment with say a newspaper of the day when it

    gets
    > shipped out showing detailed condition to hold them accountable should

    they
    > damage it from handling.
    > * Stay on top of them to keep things moving, but be nice. Don't give them

    > reason to handle your case even worse than it has to be.
    > * Complain to their Customer Relations department when things are not

    going
    > well beyond reason. Good luck finding such a number. For Canon I called

    their
    > Corporate headquarters.
    > * Test your device for any handling damage and go through the full range

    of
    > features and options to make sure everything is working right. Make sure

    you
    > get all your parts back too! Had to ask for a new power cord from Canon.
    > * DO NOT USE UPS! UPS may have started the whole nightmare for me as they

    threw
    > the package of the original scanner over an eight foot fence just so they
    > wouldn't need to return! I have had nothing but problems with UPS leaving
    > deliveries in very insecure places where they can easily disappear. Ask

    for a
    > signature for delivery too if possible for packages you receive! My
    > recommendation is to use Fed Ex.
    > *Give very detailed troubleshooting steps that they should be taking to
    > reproduce the problem you may be having because as in my case they seemed
    > clueless as to where to go in that regard. If problems show up in scans

    then
    > provide them files on a CD, prints, etc.
    >

    > *For new owners of the Canoscan FS4000 I would check out the scanner's
    > operation with a blank film frame as I am not the only that has

    experienced
    > scans with lines and by doing so you will see the worse ones. Then scan a

    frame
    > with say mainly a blue sky or other smooth tone and look for lines running
    > along the horizontal length of the frame, lightening and darkening to see

    if
    > you can see them. If you do, the scanner is broken and needs to be

    replaced!
    > Also consider using Vuescan as your scanning software as Canon's own

    FilmGet
    > software cannot have its sharpening turned off and it really does tear

    into
    > detail when using the dust removal feature with very agressive cloning.

    Vuescan
    > is much less agressive while also getting most of the dust and can batch

    scan a
    > film strip at least.
    >

    > I'm sure there is more that others can add through their experiences but I

    hope

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Tony Spadaro

    FOR7b Guest

    > Sounds like my experiences with Nikon Repair service for my 4000 ED.
    >THey've had it this time since 8/8 and every day when I check on the forum
    >for status I find out it was sent out UPS air express today. When I call
    >them I'm told by a little recording that the "hold times" are currently
    >running 15 minutes, but right now I've been on hold for 45 minutes. I paid
    >350 dollars and this i only the second trip -- the first time they said 350
    >would fix it, I sent the money and got it back a month later with "Couldn't
    >reproduce the problem" written on the ticket.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    >home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Sorry to hear you are in a similar situation. So much for customer service.
    Amazing that one spends so much on a company's product and then turns around to
    spend more to get something fixed to then be treated like that. I don't expect
    any followups to my service from Canon. One gets the fairly clear impression
    that they are happy to not ever hear from me again. That after being so patient
    and calm about the matter. Your situation sounds familiar enough it makes you
    wonder if they fix both scanners at the same repair facility. :) Collusion
    between Canon and Nikon to screw the customer post sale :)

    Seriously though, what was your Nikon doing wrong? I believe my Canon FS4000
    and your Nikon are in relatively the same class and I would be curious to know
    how it was performing. All the research I had done that led to my first
    scanner, a Minolta Dual Scan, and now the Canon FS4000 makes it fairly clear
    that nearly all these scanners have their own quirks. Most times software,
    some times hardware, and sometimes both. I know my Minolta software was
    worthless with the Scan Dual and that's what got me started with Ed Hamrick's
    Vuescan which has been very reliable and more capable.

    Good luck in getting the scanner going again. When they get to the third
    attempt demand a replacement unit and you may get one like I did. Mention that
    Canon did it for a friend with a competeing scanner and that maybe you'll buy
    Canon from now on. Who knows, it may work. Then again maybe they'll just laugh
    at you. :)

    Keep the group updated as things progress. It may also be useful for another
    4000 ED user. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    FOR7b, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Tony Spadaro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    It did everything right for the first 15 months. Then the focus simply went
    wonky. At times it would take 15 tries to get a good AF and it wouldn't
    manully focus at all. At this point I have not scanned a single thing shot
    since 5/29 - so I have a huge backlog to do if I ever get the damn thing
    back. This is probably the last time I will ever buy a Nikon product. It's a
    bit discouraging to find that Canon might be the same way -- but at least
    you didn't pay 1600 dollars for your scanner.

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Tony Spadaro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I just checked a few hours ago - it was shipped TODAY! just like it was
    shipped on the 5th and 8th - but ther eis no UPS tracking number yet, so I
    suspect it's sitting on the shipping dock and has been for days, or weeks.

    --
    "FOR7b" <> wrote in message
    > >It did everything right for the first 15 months. Then the focus simply

    went
    > >wonky. At times it would take 15 tries to get a good AF and it wouldn't
    > >manully focus at all. At this point I have not scanned a single thing

    shot
    > >since 5/29 - so I have a huge backlog to do if I ever get the damn thing
    > >back. This is probably the last time I will ever buy a Nikon product.

    It's a
    > >bit discouraging to find that Canon might be the same way -- but at least
    > >you didn't pay 1600 dollars for your scanner.

    > Yeah I bought the Canon for quite a bit less than half of that. It is a

    very
    > nice scanner that does an excellent job that unfortunately has the baggage

    of
    > being made by a big bloated inefficient company with a support system that
    > obviosuly has very weak spots. To be fair, I'm sure most have not gone

    through
    > what I went through and perfection certainly can not be expected from any
    > company's support system but one has to question the overall efficiency

    and
    > dedication of such a company's support when a person has to go through so

    much
    > just to get their scanner working again. In the end Canon came through but

    it
    > is very unfortunate to have gone through such a hassle with a company that

    > think makes great products. One thing is for sure bad experiences that

    stay mum
    > will never help change or improve the support of such companies. The

    ability of
    > the internet as an ultimate medium to spread the word is exteremly

    powerful and
    > if enough people would get the word out I'm sure the message would

    eventually
    > get to where it needs to go. Maybe things would improve then. That was the
    > reason I decided to post my expereince to a couple of relevant newsgroups.

    > would still highly recommend the scanner to anyone looking for a 4000dpi

    film
    > scanner but I do so with a bit of a cringe of what the new owner may have

    to go
    > through just in case it may need servicing. Shouldn't be that way. Is

    anyone at

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 12, 2003
  5. Tony Spadaro

    FOR7b Guest

    >I just checked a few hours ago - it was shipped TODAY! just like it was
    >shipped on the 5th and 8th - but ther eis no UPS tracking number yet, so I
    >suspect it's sitting on the shipping dock and has been for days, or weeks.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    >home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Sounds good if it is true :) Geez, I also hope you have better luck with UPS
    than I did.

    FOR7b, Sep 12, 2003