Re: update on my Mandrake install (good news)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Allistar, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > Well I must be learning something.
    >
    > Installed my dual monitor setup under Mandrake and it rocks. Had a little
    > moment where I was stuck without Xserver but even managed to use mc and
    > edit XF86Config (I think thats what it was called) to get it back and
    > running with 2 monitors.
    >
    > This is great stuff.

    Lots of questions:

    Are you using two separate video cards or one card that has two outputs on
    it?

    Does the Mandrake "task bar" stretch across both monitors or so you have a
    lot of control over where it goes?

    When you select a different desktop, does that apply for both monitors or
    just one?

    Just curious. I have been using Mandrake for over a year now and have a dual
    head W98 computer at work - it's hard to get used to only having one
    monitor, especially in a development situation.

    Ta,
    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Allistar

    Brett Mason Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:40:56 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >
    >> Well I must be learning something.
    >>
    >> Installed my dual monitor setup under Mandrake and it rocks. Had a
    >> little moment where I was stuck without Xserver but even managed to use
    >> mc and edit XF86Config (I think thats what it was called) to get it
    >> back and running with 2 monitors.
    >>
    >> This is great stuff.

    > Lots of questions:
    >
    > Are you using two separate video cards or one card that has two outputs
    > on it?

    I've had it working with both seperate cards (i740 + s3 virge) and more
    recently with a dual-out radeon 9000.

    > Does the Mandrake "task bar" stretch across both monitors or so you have
    > a lot of control over where it goes?

    No, but you can have multiple panels. And should be able to have multiple
    tasklist things, etc.

    > When you select a different desktop, does that apply for both monitors
    > or just one?

    Both. You have the usual 4 (or whatever) virtual desktops but they are
    twice as wide.

    I have an oldish screenshot here:

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bamason/images/screenshots/yay_xinerama_2-12-2002.jpeg

    > Just curious. I have been using Mandrake for over a year now and have a
    > dual head W98 computer at work - it's hard to get used to only having
    > one monitor, especially in a development situation.

    I prefer just virtual desktops. More desk space and less head moving.

    Brett.
    Brett Mason, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Allistar

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:40:56 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > Lots of questions:
    >
    > Are you using two separate video cards or one card that has two outputs on
    > it?

    No. I am using a GeForce 4 MX460 with 2 outputs (3 if you count tvout)

    > Does the Mandrake "task bar" stretch across both monitors or so you have a
    > lot of control over where it goes?

    The taskbar is only on one monitor. if you turned the other monitor off
    at the wall you would not notice it is a dual monitor setup by looking at
    the first monitor. All it is is that you can throw windows (ie. readme
    files) off to the second monitor which means I can read the readme in
    front of me while working full screen on the other.

    > When you select a different desktop, does that apply for both monitors or
    > just one?

    The background is stretched across both monitors.

    > Just curious. I have been using Mandrake for over a year now and have a dual
    > head W98 computer at work - it's hard to get used to only having one
    > monitor, especially in a development situation.

    I have been using 2 17' for over a year now and I can't stand working with
    one monitor. I actually set it up as a joke and it turned out to be the
    best thing I have ever done.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Allistar

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:01:40 +1200, Brett Mason wrote:

    > I have an oldish screenshot here:
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bamason/images/screenshots/yay_xinerama_2-12-2002.jpeg
    >
    >> Just curious. I have been using Mandrake for over a year now and have a
    >> dual head W98 computer at work - it's hard to get used to only having
    >> one monitor, especially in a development situation.

    > I prefer just virtual desktops. More desk space and less head moving.
    >
    > Brett.

    Virtual desktops are good but you can read off one and type on the other.
    cowboyzlinux, Jul 16, 2003