    unusual problem with the interaction between a DVR machine and a
    DVD disc. :-(

    -- wds

    William December Starr, Aug 28, 2008

  2. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <g94qgp$g6v$>,
    (William December Starr) wrote:

    > I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There is no such thing as an
    > unusual problem with the interaction between a DVR machine and a
    > DVD disc. :-(
    >
    > -- wds

    What if it just plain works?

    --
    Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.

    It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 28, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Anim8rFSK <> said:

    > In article <g94qgp$g6v$>,
    > (William December Starr) wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There is no such thing as an
    >> unusual problem with the interaction between a DVR machine and a
    >> DVD disc. :-(

    > What if it just plain works?

    Yeah, that happens sometimes too.

    (Most of the time, to be fair. But the failures are incredibly
    maddening.)

    -- wds

    William December Starr, Aug 28, 2008
  4. On 27 Aug 2008 20:54:03 -0400, (William December Starr)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Anim8rFSK <> said:
    >
    >> In article <g94qgp$g6v$>,
    >> (William December Starr) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There is no such thing as an
    >>> unusual problem with the interaction between a DVR machine and a
    >>> DVD disc. :-(

    >> What if it just plain works?

    >Yeah, that happens sometimes too.
    >
    >(Most of the time, to be fair. But the failures are incredibly
    >maddening.)
    >
    >-- wds

    Boot a Knoppix live DVD.

    Problem solved.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  5. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <g94svb$of0$>,
    (William December Starr) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Anim8rFSK <> said:
    >
    > > In article <g94qgp$g6v$>,
    > > (William December Starr) wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm sorry but you are mistaken. There is no such thing as an
    > >> unusual problem with the interaction between a DVR machine and a
    > >> DVD disc. :-(

    > > What if it just plain works?

    > Yeah, that happens sometimes too.
    >
    > (Most of the time, to be fair. But the failures are incredibly
    > maddening.)
    >
    > -- wds

    I made maybe 10 coasters out of my first 40 burns, which was pretty
    horrible, but they were all from the same cause; the protected channels.

    BTW, it turns out I don't need to actually try to RECORD a protected
    channel. If the TV gets flipped to one while it's passing through the
    signal, and definitely if a recording gets played from the DVR while
    it's watching, it'll go fubar. Gotta unplug/replug any time it even
    SEES a channel in those tiers. I'm going to write that down under the
    'overly sensitive' column.

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 28, 2008
  6. William December Starr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > In article <g94svb$of0$>,
    > (William December Starr) wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Anim8rFSK <> said:

    > > > What if it just plain works?

    > > Yeah, that happens sometimes too.
    > >
    > > (Most of the time, to be fair. But the failures are incredibly
    > > maddening.)
    > >
    > > -- wds

    > I made maybe 10 coasters out of my first 40 burns, which was pretty
    > horrible, but they were all from the same cause; the protected channels.
    >
    > BTW, it turns out I don't need to actually try to RECORD a protected
    > channel. If the TV gets flipped to one while it's passing through the
    > signal, and definitely if a recording gets played from the DVR while
    > it's watching, it'll go fubar. Gotta unplug/replug any time it even
    > SEES a channel in those tiers. I'm going to write that down under the
    > 'overly sensitive' column.
    >
    > --
    > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
    >
    > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    Had this machine long? I returned mine due to the over sensitivity,
    not much use if it is going to make its own rules up as it goes along.
    I know the rules about this stuff are different depending on which
    country you're in but you should be able to use your machine and if it
    is acting like that then it's a problem that needs rectifying or the
    machine replacing. Personally I'd go so far as to try a different make
    of machine.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Aug 28, 2008
  7. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > Anim8rFSK wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <g94svb$of0$>,
    > > (William December Starr) wrote:

    > > > Yeah, that happens sometimes too.
    > > >
    > > > (Most of the time, to be fair. But the failures are incredibly
    > > > maddening.)
    > > >
    > > > -- wds

    > > I made maybe 10 coasters out of my first 40 burns, which was pretty
    > > horrible, but they were all from the same cause; the protected channels.
    > >
    > > BTW, it turns out I don't need to actually try to RECORD a protected
    > > channel. If the TV gets flipped to one while it's passing through the
    > > signal, and definitely if a recording gets played from the DVR while
    > > it's watching, it'll go fubar. Gotta unplug/replug any time it even
    > > SEES a channel in those tiers. I'm going to write that down under the
    > > 'overly sensitive' column.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
    > >
    > > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    > Had this machine long? I returned mine due to the over sensitivity,
    > not much use if it is going to make its own rules up as it goes along.
    > I know the rules about this stuff are different depending on which
    > country you're in but you should be able to use your machine and if it
    > is acting like that then it's a problem that needs rectifying or the
    > machine replacing. Personally I'd go so far as to try a different make
    > of machine.

    I've had it a week, but when you open it, it says right inside the box
    lid IF THIS MACHINE DOESN'T WORK YOU CANNOT RETURN IT TO THE STORE YOU
    MUST DEAL WITH SONY DIRECTLY with a toll free number and an URL. I
    tried contacting their live help, but they never answered. I was
    unamused.

    Amazon says they'll take it back for a 'partial' refund but I haven't
    been able to find out what 'partial' is.

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 28, 2008
  8. William December Starr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > > > I made maybe 10 coasters out of my first 40 burns, which was pretty
    > > > horrible, but they were all from the same cause; the protected channels.
    > > >
    > > > BTW, it turns out I don't need to actually try to RECORD a protected
    > > > channel. If the TV gets flipped to one while it's passing through the
    > > > signal, and definitely if a recording gets played from the DVR while
    > > > it's watching, it'll go fubar. Gotta unplug/replug any time it even
    > > > SEES a channel in those tiers. I'm going to write that down under the
    > > > 'overly sensitive' column.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
    > > >
    > > > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    > > Had this machine long? I returned mine due to the over sensitivity,
    > > not much use if it is going to make its own rules up as it goes along.
    > > I know the rules about this stuff are different depending on which
    > > country you're in but you should be able to use your machine and if it
    > > is acting like that then it's a problem that needs rectifying or the
    > > machine replacing. Personally I'd go so far as to try a different make
    > > of machine.

    > I've had it a week, but when you open it, it says right inside the box
    > lid IF THIS MACHINE DOESN'T WORK YOU CANNOT RETURN IT TO THE STORE YOU
    > MUST DEAL WITH SONY DIRECTLY with a toll free number and an URL. I
    > tried contacting their live help, but they never answered. I was
    > unamused.
    >
    > Amazon says they'll take it back for a 'partial' refund but I haven't
    > been able to find out what 'partial' is.

    Damn. That's pretty bad, but par for the course it seems. It helps in
    the UK if you make purchases from catalogue stores etc as they
    normally have a period of return due to their goods not being on
    display. I have no idea what Amazon could mean by partial refund.

    There does seem to be a minor switch in the UK where some stores etc
    are putting "Not returnable under our 14 day returns period" or such
    on certain items, I would guess the items they just know are going to
    be trouble.

    I would try saying that the item is unfit for purpose. I don't know
    how that holds where you're from but it is a strong argument, you
    bought the machine for the job it was advertised as being capable of
    doing and it is not able to do that job. False advertising etc etc.

    I found this little thing on the amazon site
    "Items that meet our returns guidelines will receive a full refund.

    Items that do not meet our returns guidelines will receive only
    partial refunds:

    Any unopened media item or non-media item in original condition that
    is returned more than 30 days after delivery: 80% of item's price.

    Any book that has obvious signs of use: 50% of item's price.

    Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl
    record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap): 50% of
    item's price.

    Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is
    missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item's
    price.
    I'm unsure as to how your recorder falls into these categories?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 28, 2008
  9. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > Anim8rFSK wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > > > Had this machine long? I returned mine due to the over sensitivity,
    > > > not much use if it is going to make its own rules up as it goes along.
    > > > I know the rules about this stuff are different depending on which
    > > > country you're in but you should be able to use your machine and if it
    > > > is acting like that then it's a problem that needs rectifying or the
    > > > machine replacing. Personally I'd go so far as to try a different make
    > > > of machine.

    > > I've had it a week, but when you open it, it says right inside the box
    > > lid IF THIS MACHINE DOESN'T WORK YOU CANNOT RETURN IT TO THE STORE YOU
    > > MUST DEAL WITH SONY DIRECTLY with a toll free number and an URL. I
    > > tried contacting their live help, but they never answered. I was
    > > unamused.
    > >
    > > Amazon says they'll take it back for a 'partial' refund but I haven't
    > > been able to find out what 'partial' is.
    > >

    > Damn. That's pretty bad, but par for the course it seems. It helps in
    > the UK if you make purchases from catalogue stores etc as they
    > normally have a period of return due to their goods not being on
    > display. I have no idea what Amazon could mean by partial refund.
    >
    > There does seem to be a minor switch in the UK where some stores etc
    > are putting "Not returnable under our 14 day returns period" or such
    > on certain items, I would guess the items they just know are going to
    > be trouble.
    >
    > I would try saying that the item is unfit for purpose. I don't know
    > how that holds where you're from but it is a strong argument, you
    > bought the machine for the job it was advertised as being capable of
    > doing and it is not able to do that job. False advertising etc etc.
    >
    > I found this little thing on the amazon site
    > "Items that meet our returns guidelines will receive a full refund.
    >
    > Items that do not meet our returns guidelines will receive only
    > partial refunds:
    >
    > Any unopened media item or non-media item in original condition that
    > is returned more than 30 days after delivery: 80% of item's price.
    >
    > Any book that has obvious signs of use: 50% of item's price.
    >
    > Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl
    > record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap): 50% of
    > item's price.
    >
    > Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is
    > missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item's
    > price.
    > I'm unsure as to how your recorder falls into these categories?

    There's a separate guideline for 'electronics'

    IIRC, 'unopened' is 'full refund' and 'opened but with all packing
    intact' is 'partial refund' but it doesn't give you any idea of what the
    range of 'partial' is

    They also pay for return shipping, but might subtract that if they feel
    it's not their fault. So there's all kinds of gray area in there.

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 29, 2008
  10. William December Starr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > There's a separate guideline for 'electronics'
    >
    > IIRC, 'unopened' is 'full refund' and 'opened but with all packing
    > intact' is 'partial refund' but it doesn't give you any idea of what the
    > range of 'partial' is
    >
    > They also pay for return shipping, but might subtract that if they feel
    > it's not their fault. So there's all kinds of gray area in there.

    Great, and typical. They always say we're ripped off in the UK but we
    seem to have more guarantees.

    I look at it this way, it is not being returned because you don't like
    it, but because it isn't functioning normally. Opened would only
    matter here if you were returning it just because it wasn't what you
    wanted. I would email or ring Amazon and stress that the reason you
    wish to return is faulty goods and explain what it is doing. I guess
    you gave up on trying Sony themselves?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 29, 2008
  11. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > Anim8rFSK wrote:
    >
    > > There's a separate guideline for 'electronics'
    > >
    > > IIRC, 'unopened' is 'full refund' and 'opened but with all packing
    > > intact' is 'partial refund' but it doesn't give you any idea of what the
    > > range of 'partial' is
    > >
    > > They also pay for return shipping, but might subtract that if they feel
    > > it's not their fault. So there's all kinds of gray area in there.
    > >

    > Great, and typical. They always say we're ripped off in the UK but we
    > seem to have more guarantees.
    >
    > I look at it this way, it is not being returned because you don't like
    > it, but because it isn't functioning normally. Opened would only
    > matter here if you were returning it just because it wasn't what you
    > wanted. I would email or ring Amazon and stress that the reason you
    > wish to return is faulty goods and explain what it is doing. I guess
    > you gave up on trying Sony themselves?

    Well, at the time I was sure the unit was malfunctioning randomly. It
    took a lot but I finally figured out what CAUSES it to malfunction. And
    the manual even tells you, if you get the 'no signal' error, unplug it
    and replug it. So I'm guessing it *is* performing normally; we just
    aren't crazy about the way it's supposed to perform.

    So, yeah, I gave up on Sony, because my complaint would be "hey, every
    time I try to record a premium channel the unit freaks out" and they're
    going to reply "don't try to record premium channels"

    And now that I've figured out WHAT causes it to freak, I'm not thrilled
    about talking a chance on Amazon's 'partial return' -- I mean, what if
    they give me $5?

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 29, 2008
  12. William December Starr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anim8rFSK wrote:
    > >
    > > > There's a separate guideline for 'electronics'
    > > >
    > > > IIRC, 'unopened' is 'full refund' and 'opened but with all packing
    > > > intact' is 'partial refund' but it doesn't give you any idea of what the
    > > > range of 'partial' is
    > > >
    > > > They also pay for return shipping, but might subtract that if they feel
    > > > it's not their fault. So there's all kinds of gray area in there.
    > > >

    > > Great, and typical. They always say we're ripped off in the UK but we
    > > seem to have more guarantees.
    > >
    > > I look at it this way, it is not being returned because you don't like
    > > it, but because it isn't functioning normally. Opened would only
    > > matter here if you were returning it just because it wasn't what you
    > > wanted. I would email or ring Amazon and stress that the reason you
    > > wish to return is faulty goods and explain what it is doing. I guess
    > > you gave up on trying Sony themselves?

    > Well, at the time I was sure the unit was malfunctioning randomly. It
    > took a lot but I finally figured out what CAUSES it to malfunction. And
    > the manual even tells you, if you get the 'no signal' error, unplug it
    > and replug it. So I'm guessing it *is* performing normally; we just
    > aren't crazy about the way it's supposed to perform.
    >
    > So, yeah, I gave up on Sony, because my complaint would be "hey, every
    > time I try to record a premium channel the unit freaks out" and they're
    > going to reply "don't try to record premium channels"
    >
    > And now that I've figured out WHAT causes it to freak, I'm not thrilled
    > about talking a chance on Amazon's 'partial return' -- I mean, what if
    > they give me $5?
    >
    > --
    > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
    >
    > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    yeah, looks like you learned this the hard way. I bought a newer
    panasonic, their smallest recorder, only to find it doesn't have RGB
    enabled throughput, so basically the picture was as rough as an old
    VHS. I immediately contacted the store and told them the problem and
    said it just isn't the done thing with DVD recorders, it really has to
    have RGB and he was very sympathetic until I asked if I could bring it
    back for an exchange or refund. I said that without the RGB
    capabilities that all other recorders have the machine was sub
    standard and not acceptable. I also said that nowhere on the box does
    it say it does not have RGB and he just replied, "Ah, but it doesn't
    say that it does have it either!" So basically I was stuck with the
    thing, which I knew I wouldn't use and I ended up giving it our son,
    who wasn't that fussy and buying a more expensive model.

    It's not as if the guy was nasty about it, he fully understood the
    problem, agreeing with me that RGB was the accepted norm, but he
    didn't budge an inch.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 29, 2008
  13. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > Anim8rFSK wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > > > Great, and typical. They always say we're ripped off in the UK but we
    > > > seem to have more guarantees.
    > > >
    > > > I look at it this way, it is not being returned because you don't like
    > > > it, but because it isn't functioning normally. Opened would only
    > > > matter here if you were returning it just because it wasn't what you
    > > > wanted. I would email or ring Amazon and stress that the reason you
    > > > wish to return is faulty goods and explain what it is doing. I guess
    > > > you gave up on trying Sony themselves?

    > > Well, at the time I was sure the unit was malfunctioning randomly. It
    > > took a lot but I finally figured out what CAUSES it to malfunction. And
    > > the manual even tells you, if you get the 'no signal' error, unplug it
    > > and replug it. So I'm guessing it *is* performing normally; we just
    > > aren't crazy about the way it's supposed to perform.
    > >
    > > So, yeah, I gave up on Sony, because my complaint would be "hey, every
    > > time I try to record a premium channel the unit freaks out" and they're
    > > going to reply "don't try to record premium channels"
    > >
    > > And now that I've figured out WHAT causes it to freak, I'm not thrilled
    > > about talking a chance on Amazon's 'partial return' -- I mean, what if
    > > they give me $5?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.
    > >
    > > It's an explanation, not an excuse!

    > yeah, looks like you learned this the hard way. I bought a newer
    > panasonic, their smallest recorder, only to find it doesn't have RGB
    > enabled throughput, so basically the picture was as rough as an old
    > VHS. I immediately contacted the store and told them the problem and
    > said it just isn't the done thing with DVD recorders, it really has to
    > have RGB and he was very sympathetic until I asked if I could bring it
    > back for an exchange or refund. I said that without the RGB
    > capabilities that all other recorders have the machine was sub
    > standard and not acceptable. I also said that nowhere on the box does
    > it say it does not have RGB and he just replied, "Ah, but it doesn't
    > say that it does have it either!" So basically I was stuck with the
    > thing, which I knew I wouldn't use and I ended up giving it our son,
    > who wasn't that fussy and buying a more expensive model.
    >
    > It's not as if the guy was nasty about it, he fully understood the
    > problem, agreeing with me that RGB was the accepted norm, but he
    > didn't budge an inch.

    So what did you get that DOES have RGB?

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 29, 2008
  14. William December Starr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Anim8rFSK wrote:

    > > It's not as if the guy was nasty about it, he fully understood the
    > > problem, agreeing with me that RGB was the accepted norm, but he
    > > didn't budge an inch.

    > So what did you get that DOES have RGB?

    anything else :O))

    Actually I went for a bigger panasonic. I had just been bothered by
    the price and by their previous models having a temperamental digital
    tuner. they got into the habit of eventually showing a black screen
    for a fair few minutes sometimes on changing channels. This problem
    did get solved but we don't use the recorder much since getting Sky+,
    it's really for putting a few episodes of one program onto disc to
    keep etc nowadays.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 29, 2008
  15. William December Starr

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Gene E. Bloch <> wrote:

    > On 8/28/2008, Anim8rFSK posted this:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > >> Damn. That's pretty bad, but par for the course it seems. It helps in
    > >> the UK if you make purchases from catalogue stores etc as they
    > >> normally have a period of return due to their goods not being on
    > >> display. I have no idea what Amazon could mean by partial refund.
    > >>
    > >> There does seem to be a minor switch in the UK where some stores etc
    > >> are putting "Not returnable under our 14 day returns period" or such
    > >> on certain items, I would guess the items they just know are going to
    > >> be trouble.
    > >>
    > >> I would try saying that the item is unfit for purpose. I don't know
    > >> how that holds where you're from but it is a strong argument, you
    > >> bought the machine for the job it was advertised as being capable of
    > >> doing and it is not able to do that job. False advertising etc etc.
    > >>
    > >> I found this little thing on the amazon site
    > >> --------------------------------------------
    > >> "Items that meet our returns guidelines will receive a full refund.
    > >>
    > >> Items that do not meet our returns guidelines will receive only
    > >> partial refunds:
    > >>
    > >> Any unopened media item or non-media item in original condition that
    > >> is returned more than 30 days after delivery: 80% of item's price.
    > >>
    > >> Any book that has obvious signs of use: 50% of item's price.
    > >>
    > >> Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl
    > >> record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap): 50% of
    > >> item's price.
    > >>
    > >> Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is
    > >> missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item's
    > >> price.
    > >> ------------------------------------------------
    > >> I'm unsure as to how your recorder falls into these categories?

    > > There's a separate guideline for 'electronics'

    > > IIRC, 'unopened' is 'full refund' and 'opened but with all packing
    > > intact' is 'partial refund' but it doesn't give you any idea of what the
    > > range of 'partial' is

    > > They also pay for return shipping, but might subtract that if they feel
    > > it's not their fault. So there's all kinds of gray area in there.

    > I recently returned an opened electronic item (GPS) to Amazon that
    > failed to function as it should. The shipping back was free and the
    > credit was 100%.
    >
    > Everything was returned intact (except the bubble pack) - I even reset
    > the device to factory defaults to get my location & travels out of
    > there.
    >
    > YMMV, of course, but I'd sure want to get rid of it even if I had to
    > pay a restocking fee...which I actually thought I was going to in this
    > case.

    Well, first I'd want to figure out what to replace it with.

    Just suffered catastrophic DVR failure (which I knew was coming, hence
    my archiving frenzy). COX will send somebody out next Tuesday. Bleah.

    Anim8rFSK, Aug 29, 2008