Re: Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Primordial Ooze, Aug 26, 2008.

  1. On Aug 26, 2:37 pm, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:
    > Bought a spindle of Memorex.  The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
    > five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
    > TV shows OK so far .... until last night.
    >
    > The disc read OK so I programmed a show.  This morning, the timer
    > screen said  that the recording was "done," in other words,
    > successful.  But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
    > downstairs or the player upstairs.
    >
    > In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
    > player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc."  Other discs work OK.
    >
    > I missed a damn good movie.  Have you ever heard of a disc going from
    > acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??

    first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
    rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    work for 40 uses, and everything in between.
    Primordial Ooze, Aug 26, 2008

  2. Primordial Ooze

    Guest

    On Aug 26, 6:03 pm, Primordial Ooze <> wrote:
    > first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
    > rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    > anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    > things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    > long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    > work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...
    , Aug 27, 2008

  3. On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Brian wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> first of all, there are better groups for such questions

    > Such as? I've had similar problems.

    It all depends on where he is, and where you are.

    This thread was crossposted to
    balt.general
    alt.video.dvd
    alt.video.dvdr
    rec.arts.tv
    I have no idea what the first one is, but maybe a newsgroup local
    to Baltimore. The second one I thought was mostly about commercial
    DVDs, certainly that's how it is when I check it. The third sounds
    right, and the fourth it's only relevant if you stretch the meaning.

    But likely he read it in an odd place, and maybe didn't even notice
    the cross-posting. Especially with the latter, he wouldn't have
    noticed that there maybe were "better groups" included. On the
    other hand, if you have a "better group" then you don't need
    to cross-post to irrelevant newsgroups.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Primordial Ooze

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >first of all, there are better groups for such questions

    > Such as? I've had similar problems.
    >
    > >but yes
    > >rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    > >anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    > >things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    > >long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    > >work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    maybe worth trying the groups with tech in the title aswell

    alt.video.dvd.tech
    rec.video.dvd.tech

    but I don;t think it makes a whole lot of difference, rather how many
    people use the groups.

    You might even get some joy from
    alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Primordial Ooze

    Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > On Aug 26, 6:03 pm, Primordial Ooze <> wrote:
    > > first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
    > > rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    > > anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    > > things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    > > long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    > > work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    > Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

    the choice will eventually be removed, which is why I made the jump,
    but there have been a few problems along the way. I have an older
    machine which records fine but the discs don't play in all machines.
    It's not a format thing, the book actually advised that it was the
    case but it was still a surprise when my daughter reported that they
    played but with no visuals. My granddaughter borrowed an old dvd from
    me this week and sure enough it doesn't play in hers.

    It is a very temperamental format for sure, and the discs themselves
    of such varying quality, as are the machines.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 27, 2008
  6. Primordial Ooze

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Fred C. Dobbs" wrote:

    > I have had very good results using a hdd recorder with a built in
    > DVD recorder. It is an RCA DRC8030N I replaced the 80gig hard drive
    > with a 500gig. That gives me over 900hrs or recording time. I record
    > to the hard drive then If I want to keep the program I transfer it to
    > DVD. The recorder has a 2 hr buffer so If I am watching something and
    > then I decide I want to record it 15 min into the show. I hit the
    > record button, and I have the whole show. The point I am trying to
    > make is, If the blank dvd media I am using fails, I still have the
    > program and can try again. The thing is not perfect , the clock loses
    > time or hangs up. But it has been as reliable as any VCR I have had.
    >
    > Fred

    Yeah, Mine now is a dvd/HD and that's my recommendation too. Problem
    with me Panasonic, from what I have heard, is that the machine will
    simply mark any bigger hard disc as the same size to the one already
    in it. I guess because they sell different sized drives in their
    machines, but anyway, yes, and for the editing facilities etc it's the
    way to go.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 27, 2008
  7. On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:58:34 -0400, Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>first of all, there are better groups for such questions

    >Such as? I've had similar problems.
    >
    >>but yes
    >>rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    >>anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    >>things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    >>long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    >>work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    ALL of the fucking "rip-it" groups, you stupid twit.

    alt.video.dvd is NOT, nor has it ever been, a fucking retarded rip-it
    group.

    Jeez, any dipshit having a problem with something so simple as an
    authoring drive, should NOT be publishing discs!
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  8. On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:03:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >On Aug 26, 6:03 pm, Primordial Ooze <> wrote:
    >> first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
    >> rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    >> anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    >> things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    >> long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    >> work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    >Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

    Doesn't change the fact that you are, however.

    The AOL was a give away for that fact though.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  9. On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:46:10 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:03:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    >
    >>On Aug 26, 6:03=A0pm, Primordial Ooze <> wrote:
    >>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions but yes
    >>> rewriteable discs are VERY tempermental. Ive learned to never count on
    >>> anything completely. I have had that and a variety of other illogical
    >>> things happen with discs. They may be reuseable but dont consdier them
    >>> long term. Ive had ones not work right out of the box. Ive had some
    >>> work for 40 uses, and everything in between.

    >>Gee, now I don't feel so dumb for still using a VCR ...

    >Don't feel dumb.
    >
    >DVDs offer better audio-visual quality but with tempermental discs and
    >overly-sensitive recorders, DVDs aren't worth the trouble.

    You're a goddamned retard that deserves to get every piece of
    electronic gear made in the world, that is due to have a failure.

    Got any more utterly retarded tid-bits for the world?
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  10. On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:08:01 -0400, Michael Black <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Brian wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:03:43 -0700 (PDT), Primordial Ooze
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> first of all, there are better groups for such questions

    >> Such as? I've had similar problems.
    >>

    >It all depends on where he is, and where you are.
    >
    >This thread was crossposted to
    > balt.general
    > alt.video.dvd
    > alt.video.dvdr
    > rec.arts.tv
    >I have no idea what the first one is, but maybe a newsgroup local
    >to Baltimore. The second one I thought was mostly about commercial
    >DVDs, certainly that's how it is when I check it. The third sounds
    >right, and the fourth it's only relevant if you stretch the meaning.
    >
    >But likely he read it in an odd place, and maybe didn't even notice
    >the cross-posting. Especially with the latter, he wouldn't have
    >noticed that there maybe were "better groups" included. On the
    >other hand, if you have a "better group" then you don't need
    >to cross-post to irrelevant newsgroups.
    >
    > Michael

    When someone responds to a cross-posted post, one must respond to ALL
    the groups as well, as one does not know which group the OP actually
    frequents or would look for answers in, as well as other respondents.

    If the dope is too stupid to know about cross-posting, he should
    immediately be considered too stupid to properly monitor the groups he
    spewed his horseshit into for an answer.

    So, it is wrong on top of wrong, but since we cannot suspend the license
    to post of these stupid bastards, all we can do is carry on.

    So all the "don't feed the troll" posters, and all the other fucktards
    out there that think they are educating anyone are just about as stupid
    as those they think they are chastising.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  11. Primordial Ooze

    Guest

    You seem like a reasonable person. Are you happy with digital
    dropouts, cliff effect, pixillation, "digital freeze" and all that
    other good stuff?

    Yes, I accept that whether we like it or not, we're going to have to
    accept all of it. Analog is going the way of the dinosaur, the Nehru
    jacket and magnetic tape.

    And I've always been fascinated by anti-AOL snobbery - if I'd had a
    "real" ISP like Earthlink or Verizon, my post would be 100% smarter,
    no?
    , Aug 28, 2008
  12. On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:55:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >You seem like a reasonable person. Are you happy with digital
    >dropouts, cliff effect, pixillation, "digital freeze" and all that
    >other good stuff?

    Lemmie guess... you have only rented, and you have no clue what the
    effects of scratches on the disc are, such as FEC corrected (or not)
    areas of the disc from the retarded handling renters give to discs.

    >Yes, I accept that whether we like it or not, we're going to have to
    >accept all of it.

    It? The only "it" here is the it in your skull cavity, boy. If you
    have had problems, I would say that you have had, and have invited
    problems with simple electro-mechanical devices all of your life.

    > Analog is going the way of the dinosaur,

    You're an idiot. In the final resolve, ALL signals are analog,
    including the digital realm, which you appear to know very little about.

    > the Nehru
    >jacket and magnetic tape.

    You could use a frontal lobotomy... or maybe that's what you are a
    victim of.

    >And I've always been fascinated by anti-AOL snobbery

    **** YOU, ASSWIPE!

    I was one of the early AOL ****-overs, and I do not need some lame,
    know nothing retarded twit, that jumps right back on the bandwagon (if
    you ever got off) even AFTER the CLASS ACTION suit that found them to be
    HUGELY and OVERTLY FRAUDELENT in their billing practices.

    Bend over, you fucking retard.

    > - if I'd had a
    >"real" ISP like Earthlink or Verizon, my post would be 100% smarter,
    >no?

    No... IF you were simply a bit smarter, you would do business with
    worthy companies, instead of pieces of shit that should experience
    country-wide boycotting after what they pulled. The stupid bastards
    should be out of business. But no, I do not expect someone with such poor
    historical observational skills *even-while-in-your-own-adult-lifetime*
    to have kept up with what companies have been fucking their customers.

    In fact, I do not give ANY American credit enough to catch it, since
    there doesn't appear to be an organization in place to weed out, and call
    for boycotts on business that pull shit like they did.

    **** AOL, and **** YOU for not knowing why some people put them, AND
    their subscribers down.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 28, 2008
  13. Primordial Ooze

    Guest

    Boy, I really tick you off, don't I? <G>
    , Aug 28, 2008
  14. Primordial Ooze

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > You seem like a reasonable person. Are you happy with digital
    > dropouts, cliff effect, pixillation, "digital freeze" and all that
    > other good stuff?

    My COX feed does that routinely, on the analog side as well as digital.
    Recording COX on VHS gives you all that and more.

    --
    Multiple root canals; hopped up on multiple pain drugs.

    It's an explanation, not an excuse!
    Anim8rFSK, Aug 28, 2008
  15. On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:15:07 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

    Is it OK if I **** your left ear?
    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince, Aug 28, 2008
  16. Primordial Ooze

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince wrote:

    > > Got any more utterly retarded tid-bits for the world?

    > Is it OK if I **** your left ear?

    use a dildo, safe sex and all that.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 28, 2008
  17. On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:31:32 GMT, (Unqualified Affirmative
    Action Prince) wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:15:07 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    ><> wrote:

    >>>Don't feel dumb.
    >>>
    >>>DVDs offer better audio-visual quality but with tempermental discs and
    >>>overly-sensitive recorders, DVDs aren't worth the trouble.

    >> You're a goddamned retard that deserves to get every piece of
    >>electronic gear made in the world, that is due to have a failure.
    >>
    >> Got any more utterly retarded tid-bits for the world?

    >Is it OK if I **** your left ear?

    It would be so nice if utter retards like you could be participants in
    public executions... on the receiving end.

    Yep... fast moving hunks of lead.

    That's the only thing you need to have stuck in you.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 29, 2008
  18. Primordial Ooze

    Paul Heslop Guest

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

    > It would be so nice if utter retards

    That your word of the year? Learn that one at big school did you?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 29, 2008
  19. On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:27:55 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
    >
    >> It would be so nice if utter retards

    >That your word of the year? Learn that one at big school did you?

    In your case, you are just a retarded Bat's turd.

    You ain't real bright, HisSLOP.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 30, 2008
  20. On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:42:04 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack) wrote:

    >Izzat a yes?

    Take yourself, and the retarded, gang boy lingo, shove it all up your
    ass and disappear, you stupid twit.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Aug 30, 2008