Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Felix, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. Felix

    Felix Guest

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:16:36 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Mxsmanic
    >says...
    >> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
    >> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
    >> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
    >> I'll find out eventually.

    >This can happen at any time, even with a freshly burnt disk. You can't
    >make a general rule about it (although at a certain age it's likely more
    >media will start failing).
    >
    >The only general rule you can make is that you should always store
    >multiple copies on different media.

    Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
    cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

    If you have one, try using an old CD reader from an old PC. If you
    don't have one, maybe someone you know does.

    Regards,

    Felix

    Felix, Apr 15, 2012

  2. Felix

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Felix
    <> wrote:

    > Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
    > cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

    that is complete utter nonsense.

    using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
    irrelevant.

    nospam, Apr 15, 2012

  3. Felix

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 15, 10:22 am, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Felix
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
    > > cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

    > that is complete utter nonsense.
    >
    > using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
    > irrelevant.

    I don't know if it's speed, but there have been instances where
    different burners could not read what they each produced.

    RichA, Apr 15, 2012
  4. Felix

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > > using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
    > > irrelevant.

    > I don't know if it's speed, but there have been instances where
    > different burners could not read what they each produced.

    true, which is why i said using a different drive is a good idea. the
    read speed of the drive doesn't matter. what does matter includes
    lasers wearing out, alignment, media reflectivity, etc.

    nospam, Apr 15, 2012