Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Kotroczo, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
    > Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
    > have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
    > I'll find out eventually.

    I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
    is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
    every x years.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Apr 15, 2012

  2. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
    >> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
    >> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
    >> I'll find out eventually.

    >I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
    >is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
    >every x years.

    The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.
    Bruce, Apr 15, 2012

  3. Joe Kotroczo

    Bruce Guest

    "C. Neil Ellwood" <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:55:04 +0100, Bruce wrote:
    >> Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >>>I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
    >>>is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
    >>>every x years.

    >> The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.

    >It is very easy - it is always one week after everything goes down the
    >drain.

    I think that somehow fails to define "optimum". ;-)
    Bruce, Apr 16, 2012
  4. Bruce <> wrote:
    > Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >>On 15/04/2012 03:07, Mxsmanic wrote:
    >>> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
    >>> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
    >>> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
    >>> I'll find out eventually.

    >>I wouldn't wait until "eventually". Pull them now and copy anything that
    >>is still readable. And then get into the habit of copying everything
    >>every x years.

    > The difficulty is in determining the optimum value of x.

    When rereading every 2 years dvdisaster shows first signs of CRC
    errors, x is now.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 17, 2012