Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
    > Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
    > have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
    > I'll find out eventually.

    always make multiple backups and check them every so often and migrate
    to new media.
    nospam, Apr 15, 2012

  2. nospam

    me Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:14:52 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >always make multiple backups and check them every so often and migrate
    >to new media.

    I would add that one should consider keeping an off-site copy as well.
    The local news this morning showed people effected by last week's
    FA-18 crash in Virginia Beach being allowed to look through debris
    from the apartment complex which had several buildings partially and
    totally destroyed. Some folks lost everything.
    me, Apr 15, 2012