    discover the same issue with the rest of their stock.

    Just wanted to take a quick poll before I send an email off to
    Universal.
    mschuf355, May 10, 2004

  2. mschuf355

    Lithurge Guest

    (mschuf355) wrote in
    news::

    > I just picked up the three "Universal Horror Legacy
    > Collection" discs this past weekend. When I opened them
    > up, I noticed that in each of the three boxes, the second
    > disc (not the main title disc) was scratched on the
    > backside.
    > Has this happened to anyone else?
    >

    > Just wanted to take a quick poll before I send an email off
    > to Universal.

    Nope - this is the UK release though, so it may not be exactly
    the same packaging if you live elsewhere.
    Lithurge, May 10, 2004

  3. mschuf355

    kermtzu Guest

    I just read reviews at Amazon and the scratch issue is mentioned repeatedly
    (10 or so of the 39 reviews). It appears that the DVDs come loose from the
    spindle and become scratched. Some purchasers returned their set for
    replacement, finding that every set in the store had scratched disks! My
    order is in the mail, and I'm holding my breath, hoping for the best.....
    Kevin

    kermtzu, May 10, 2004
  4. mschuf355

    jayembee Guest

    "kermtzu" <whoziswhatzisAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:

    >>>I just picked up the three "Universal Horror Legacy Collection"
    >>>discs this past weekend. When I opened them up, I noticed
    >>>that in each of the three boxes, the second disc (not the main
    >>>title disc) was scratched on the backside. Has this happened
    >>>to anyone else?

    >I just read reviews at Amazon and the scratch issue is mentioned
    >repeatedly (10 or so of the 39 reviews). It appears that the DVDs
    >come loose from the spindle and become scratched. Some
    >purchasers returned their set for replacement, finding that every
    >set in the store had scratched disks! My order is in the mail, and
    >I'm holding my breath, hoping for the best.....

    I bought the Monster Legacy mega-set from Best Buy, which is the three
    individual releases together in a large box with some busts of the
    three monsters included. The discs themselves are in the exact same
    packaging that they are in when sold individually.

    In one of the three sets, the plastic backing for one of the discs had
    a crack in it, but none of the discs were off their spindles, nor were
    any of them scratched.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, May 10, 2004
  5. Got mine from Circuit City and all discs were fine.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, May 10, 2004
  6. Michael Rogers wrote:
    > jayembee wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I just read reviews at Amazon and the scratch issue is mentioned
    >>>repeatedly (10 or so of the 39 reviews). It appears that the DVDs
    >>>come loose from the spindle and become scratched. ...

    >>I bought the Monster Legacy mega-set from Best Buy, ...
    >>In one of the three sets, the plastic backing for one of the discs had
    >>a crack in it, but none of the discs were off their spindles, nor were
    >>any of them scratched.

    > Got mine from Circuit City and all discs were fine.

    When we went to buy them at Suncoast, the sales clerk noticed that the
    Werewolf one was a "rattler" (loose disk) and on her own initiative went
    back to find a different one.

    --
    Evelyn C. Leeper
    http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
    Evelyn C. Leeper, May 10, 2004
  7. mschuf355

    Joe McC Guest

    Also bought the collector's box set - no probs with any of mine. All firmly
    attached to their spindles

    Joe
    Joe McC, May 10, 2004
  8. "mschuf355" <> wrote in message

    <<I just picked up the three "Universal Horror Legacy Collection" discs
    this past weekend. When I opened them up, I noticed that in each of the
    three boxes, the second disc (not the main title disc) was scratched on
    the backside. The scratches were all in the same approximate area
    (center of the disc) and were caused by the disc being slid across the
    box spindle.>>

    <<Has this happened to anyone else?>>

    <<The scratches are in the same place on the disc with each box, which
    leads me to believe that it was a packaging issue. I plan on taking it
    back to the retailer for replacement, but I am afraid I we will discover
    the same issue with the rest of their stock.>>

    <<Just wanted to take a quick poll before I send an email off to
    Universal.>>

    I bought all three of the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection" titles:
    Frankenstein and Dracula from Wal-Mart and Werewolf from Costco. This
    type of double-disk packaging appears to be hand-loaded, so I held my
    breath as I checked out each of the disks. Side 2 of the 2nd Werewolf
    disk had two small fingerprints on the edge, but they were easily wiped
    off, leaving no scratches. All of the other disks were perfect in every
    way; no scratches and none of the disks was out of balance. (I have had
    a couple of dual-layer, two-sided disks vibrate in the player.) All of
    the disk packages had a label which said, "Made in Mexico."

    In answer to your question, "Has this happened to anyone else?", I must
    answer yes. However, the problem has been almost commonplace with Disney
    double-disks, not those from Universal:

    Damaged disks found in new packages is a subject that I have previously
    avoided because I knew that I would be accused of being too picky about
    disk quality. But the problem of dealing with damaged disks is getting
    worse and worse. Some on this newsgroup believe that brand new damaged
    disks are perfectly acceptable as long as they still play. I strongly
    disagree with this casual acceptance of poor disk quality. I paid for a
    new, undamaged DVD and I expect a new, undamaged DVD. Just because the
    error correction circuitry of my DVD player allows it to navigate
    through an obstacle course of scratches and scuffs does not mean that I
    should accept this low level of quality in a "new" product.

    The only explanation is that these disks are placed in their packages by
    hand. Light fingerprints can be gently wiped off the disks. But some
    fingerprints are made by dirty hands and the dirt contains enough
    abrasive material to scratch the disk play surface -- sometimes a
    little, sometimes a lot. Other scratches are made when the DVD is
    dragged across the DVD box, center hub or some other object.

    To make matters worse, the disks are often stacked one on top of the
    other before they are carelessly placed in the boxes. This can be
    verified by looking at the play surface. Some disks have faint (and
    sometimes not so faint) mirror-images of their silk-screened graphics
    pressed into play surfaces. This is just more surface damage for a
    player to correct. Take a look at play sides of the silk-screened disks
    from all of the "Universal Horror Legacy Collection" and you will
    probably see the mirror image of the silk-screened image embossed into
    the play surface by the disk below it in the stack.

    Oops, another stack of disks fell on the floor. Oh well.
    One-Shot Scot, May 11, 2004
  9. mschuf355

    ahollis Guest

    When picked the first box up I heard a rattle, replaced it and got another
    one the did not rattle when I shook it. All the discs were in great
    condition. I did get the set on the first day of release, so I guess by now
    all of the sets would rattle with people not taking those.

    Got the set at Best Buy.

    ahollis, May 11, 2004
  10. mschuf355

    Chicago Dave Guest

    All of them at one of the Jewel/Osco stores in Chicago were like that. Pick
    up a box and the disc rattled around. I informed the manager and she simply
    didn't care. Dumb ass. I was so disappointed. I waited a week and my
    favorite Best Buy store finally got some more of those wonderful set boxes.
    YES! I shelled out my money for a really good one (meaning the little
    monster busts) and all of the discs were in perfect condition, too. I am so
    happy, very satisfied, and apparently very fortunate, too.
    Chicago Dave, May 11, 2004
  11. mschuf355

    Chicago Dave Guest

    "Damaged disks found in new packages is a subject that I have previously
    avoided because I knew that I would be accused of being too picky about
    disk quality. But the problem of dealing with damaged disks is getting
    worse and worse. Some on this newsgroup believe that brand new damaged
    disks are perfectly acceptable as long as they still play. I strongly
    disagree with this casual acceptance of poor disk quality. I paid for a
    new, undamaged DVD and I expect a new, undamaged DVD. Just because the
    error correction circuitry of my DVD player allows it to navigate
    through an obstacle course of scratches and scuffs does not mean that I
    should accept this low level of quality in a "new" product."

    *****************

    Hear! Hear! I whole heartedly agree with you on this subject. We should
    never put up with this.
    Chicago Dave, May 11, 2004
  12. mschuf355

    mschuf355 Guest

    Thanks for the feedback from everyone... hope I didn't trigger
    "One-Shot Scot" to let loose some repressed agression!

    I played the Dracula 2nd disc last night.. watched a complete movie
    and noticed no problems. I'm still going to take them back and see if
    I can't track down some relatively clean copies. Kind of hate making
    the retailer carry the admin burden of getting reimbursed, but I don't
    really expect Universal to take a big interest in my complaint. (which
    they will get)

    I'm just excited to have a copy of the Spanish version... the acting
    is a little more over-the-top than the already melodramatic English
    version, but the cinematography makes up for it.

    Sad to realize that the lazy "factory" attitude was around even then.

    "Oh, you mean you can put a camera on that big crane-looking thingy?"
    ;-)
    mschuf355, May 11, 2004
  13. mschuf355

    Ray Porter Guest

    No problem with mine.

    Ray Porter

    Ray Porter, May 12, 2004
  14. mschuf355

    Jeff Pearson Guest

    (mschuf355) wrote in

    > I just picked up the three "Universal Horror Legacy Collection" discs
    > this past weekend. When I opened them up, I noticed that in each of
    > the three boxes, the second disc (not the main title disc) was
    > scratched on the backside. The scratches were all in the same
    > approximate area (center of the disc) and were caused by the disc
    > being slid across the box spindle.
    >
    > Has this happened to anyone else?
    >
    > The scratches are in the same place on the disc with each box, which
    > leads me to believe that it was a packaging issue. I plan on taking
    > it back to the retailer for replacement, but I am afraid I we will
    > discover the same issue with the rest of their stock.
    >
    > Just wanted to take a quick poll before I send an email off to
    > Universal.

    I picked up the box set at Best Buy and, yes, the second disc of the
    Dracula set was loose and scratched. Took the entire thing back only to
    find the set was sold out. Didn't want to part with the whole package
    (the little busts are too cool) so after MUCH polite haggling at the
    customer service desk I managed to sweet-talk the salesperson into
    letting me exchange just the Dracula set with one of the (identical)
    individual copies they had in stock. She was resistant at first because
    the bar codes didn't match but eventually my forlorn expression won the
    day. Either that or she was relieved I wasn't yelling at her like the
    woman just ahead of me had done (because she couldn't get a cash refund
    on an opened CD) and decided to be nice.
    Jeff Pearson, May 15, 2004