Re: Unemployment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by James Martin, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. James Martin

    James Martin Guest

    Since I'm currently collecting, I can comment :(.

    In the US it's delivered at the state level. From what I can tell the
    amounts vary by the state programs, however unemployment is not welfare in
    the traditional sense, since while you are employed your employer must pay
    into it in case you become unemployed (think insurance). I used to work for
    a firm out of Bellevue, WA which had me traveling throughout the east coast
    of the US and sometimes overseas. When they went belly up, I was eligible
    to file in Florida alone, since that is my home state. It currently gets me
    $494 (About 20%) every two weeks, which of course doesn't go very far. I've
    pretty much used the money for certification purposes and have been living
    off savings as well. They come up with that figure by looking at your
    income and taking a percentage, however they set a top limit. Without the
    limit I would get over twice as much. I have to file online every other
    Monday to recieve benefits, and keep a record of all the jobs I've applied
    for. Benefits run for a total of 6 months, then you are cut off.

    Welfare is completely different and is administered in a different way.
    Having children and being poor is the golden way to make money in the US, as
    you get a tax credit. Even if you don't pay any taxes, you'll get money
    back from Uncle Sam for having children (indeed, I saw a news report a while
    back about a woman who had 10 children and was making upwards of 80k a year
    from this ridiculous scheme). Then there are food stamps, for buying
    groceries, free medical care through medicaid and whatever other
    programs--oh yeah, housing subsidies.. (Interestingly, these same people
    are the ones who complain that they didn't get a tax cut last round--not
    paying taxes kind of prevents it, but most people are too stupid to realize
    that.)

    Also, you can't just collect unemployment if you're not working. You have
    to have been working, and then lose your job through no fault of your own.
    Quiting and other similar things disqualify you.

    James Martin, Feb 13, 2004

  2. James Martin

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "James Martin" <martin 426 AT yahoo> wrote in

    > Since I'm currently collecting, I can comment :(.
    >
    > In the US it's delivered at the state level. From what I can tell the
    > amounts vary by the state programs, however unemployment is not
    > welfare in the traditional sense, since while you are employed your
    > employer must pay into it in case you become unemployed (think
    > insurance). I used to work for a firm out of Bellevue, WA which had
    > me traveling throughout the east coast of the US and sometimes
    > overseas. When they went belly up, I was eligible to file in Florida
    > alone, since that is my home state. It currently gets me $494 (About
    > 20%) every two weeks, which of course doesn't go very far. I've
    > pretty much used the money for certification purposes and have been
    > living off savings as well. They come up with that figure by looking
    > at your income and taking a percentage, however they set a top limit.
    > Without the limit I would get over twice as much. I have to file
    > online every other Monday to recieve benefits, and keep a record of
    > all the jobs I've applied for. Benefits run for a total of 6 months,
    > then you are cut off.

    Thats kind of how UI works up here. It lasts for more than 6 months. So
    you live in Washington state but you collect from Florida? Wierd. I never
    worked anywhere else, so maybe thats how it works here as well.

    Question for you, do you think spending your UI on certification is(was)
    a wise investment? I am not trying to be funny or rude. I am just
    interested in your honest gut feeling & opinion, now that you have
    started(completed) certification process.

    > Welfare is completely different and is administered in a different
    > way. Having children and being poor is the golden way to make money in
    > the US, as you get a tax credit. Even if you don't pay any taxes,
    > you'll get money back from Uncle Sam for having children (indeed, I
    > saw a news report a while back about a woman who had 10 children and
    > was making upwards of 80k a year from this ridiculous scheme). Then
    > there are food stamps, for buying groceries, free medical care through
    > medicaid and whatever other programs--oh yeah, housing subsidies..
    > (Interestingly, these same people are the ones who complain that they
    > didn't get a tax cut last round--not paying taxes kind of prevents it,
    > but most people are too stupid to realize that.)

    yeah. it's unfortunate when one hears of these schemes. still, there is
    no way 80K is going to make me take care of 10 screaming kids. screw that
    deal, buddy.

    > Also, you can't just collect unemployment if you're not working. You
    > have to have been working, and then lose your job through no fault of
    > your own. Quiting and other similar things disqualify you.

    thats pretty much how it works up here. you can't tell your boss to f*-
    off and then turn around and collect money. they have to tell you to f*-
    off first. :-(

    which I think is a little unfair because UI gets deducted from my
    paycheque as well. i should have the right dump on them first, damn it!

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army:
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 13, 2004

  3. James Martin

    James Martin Guest

    No, I never lived in Washington (or even visited while working for this
    company.) I got the job through an ad in Boston when I went up there
    looking for work. Since it was 100% travel, I kept Florida as my domicile
    to a) avoid state income taxes and b) Get flown home to sunshine every
    weekend. As far as investing in certification being a wise choice, sure, I
    suppose. I've been working in IT for a long time, it's what I'm good at and
    what I studied in college (from a business perspective mostly--Management of
    IT). I haven't spent that much really, just books and the tests + equipment
    I've already got. Right now I have my A+, Linux+ & MCSA, but employers
    haven't been coming out of the woodwork to hire me if that's what you mean.
    It's all cyclical... I just would rather be doing something productive
    while unemployed rather than nothing :). I've made the most of it, as
    before actually starting my search and applying for unemployment I took off
    3 months for a 15,000 mile roadtrip all around the US with an [also
    unemployed] friend from college. Having a job where all your expenses are
    covered allowed me to save a lot more than normal, so I'm not desparate
    yet...

    James Martin, Feb 13, 2004
  4. James Martin

    > No, I never lived in Washington (or even visited while working for
    > this company.) I got the job through an ad in Boston when I went up
    > there looking for work. Since it was 100% travel, I kept Florida as
    > my domicile to a) avoid state income taxes and b) Get flown home to
    > sunshine every weekend. As far as investing in certification being a
    > wise choice, sure, I suppose. I've been working in IT for a long
    > time, it's what I'm good at and what I studied in college (from a
    > business perspective mostly--Management of IT). I haven't spent that
    > much really, just books and the tests + equipment I've already got.
    > Right now I have my A+, Linux+ & MCSA, but employers haven't been
    > coming out of the woodwork to hire me if that's what you mean. It's
    > all cyclical... I just would rather be doing something productive
    > while unemployed rather than nothing :). I've made the most of it, as
    > before actually starting my search and applying for unemployment I
    > took off 3 months for a 15,000 mile roadtrip all around the US with an
    > [also unemployed] friend from college. Having a job where all your
    > expenses are covered allowed me to save a lot more than normal, so I'm
    > not desparate yet...

    Hey, you had it good. My entire IT career has been working in one roddent
    hole after another. The company is stable, so I didn't get affected by the
    dot com crazyness, but i think i will pay for it later in life with health
    problems, thanks to all the servers around me and no natural light for so
    many years.

    I decided to get some certs, then all my other roddent buddies got pissed
    at me 'cause they are too lazy to get certs. that's human nature for you.

    I really like the sound of roadtrip you did. I think I will start saving
    up.

    i would defiatly finish up to MCSE status. if you don't have cisco, i would
    get the CCNA or CCDA. I wouldn't bother with anything else. it's not really
    worth it.

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army: